I recently discovered that my indoor evaporator coil has a leak (15 year old unit). Some POS company added about 5lbs of freon and said it had about "2 weeks" left. I have no clue whether to believe this 2 weeks thing, but suffice to say I'm now shopping around for a new AC and getting prepared just in case.

I have been very pleased so far with the sales guy and the installation guy at one particular company so far. I am still waiting for the quote though, which will be mailed.

The sales guy said one thing that concerned me though. I told him I was thinking about "holding out" with the leaky coil until the winter or next spring, since I figure that the prices will be cheaper in the offseason. His response worried me. Obviously I expect sales guys to push their products and be saavy talkers and whatnot, but to be flat out lied to concerns me, and could cause me to abandon this otherwise seemingly good company.

He said Carrier and American Standard increase their prices basically once a year. His said this year the increase is going to be especially high, like 8%-10% high, due to increaing costs of copper and whatnot. I know copper is through the roof and I guess everything he said to this point seems reasonable.

But then he says that the price increase is coming in July? July??? Two weeks away? How convenient. Does this sound reasonable to anyone? Could it really be cheaper to buy now rather than in the winter or spring?

Yes, a few mfg are scheduled for price increases in July. Steel and copper costs continue to climb. So, mfg are raising prices to maintain margins.
    Perhaps you should have read the instructions before calling.

Sorry to say it but YES! I have received notices that certain produst lines are being dropped and prices changed.This is due to the fact that certain systems using older refrderants are being outdated and eliminated.Supply and demand comes into play here.The coil you have is among the ones being phased out of manufacturing and the new coils are designed and built to meet the new standards.This is not to say that your system will not work,I'm saying the new coils are sturdier and are built heavier.The new systems being built and installed run at higher pressures and require more material and whatnot.Our supply houses are for ever changing their prices and product lines but they can only sell what they can get.If your coil is not made,then you'll need to have one installed that is available AND be able to use parts that will be around 5,10,15 years from now.

I wish there were only one price hike per year. One of our suppliers experienced several from '04 to now, not just one a year. It started in steel increases in '04 & '05 and ended with jumps in copper last fall to incredible prices this year. What you may see in off-season pricing may be reductions in labor if anything to help keep employees busy in slower times. This year, we went from heating to cooling with almost no break in this area. There was no off season. We experienced 100's in mid/late-May, with a few <32*F nights in early May. I feel it is a bad gamble to expect lower prices later on this year with today's volatile metals market. Maybe someone else's crystal ball works better than mine.
    Don't confuse me with facts, my mind is already made up.

don't forget the fuel cost's associated with moving larger units. less equipment/truckload

Before your too quick to think he's shady, read the letter I got yesterday.

Life is like a jar of jalapenos. What you do today might burn your ass tomorrow.

Price of copper alone has nearly doubled to the dealer so that can't help but trickle down to unit & coil manufacture. Besides Carrier's increase hero posted, both of our Rheem & American-Standard suppliers told us they are going up soon and they both just went up

Yes, it is cheaper to buy off season, end of summer or end of winter. But if you just put 5 pounds in, you probably won't last the summer by any means!

Do the AC now and start enjoying the savings from higher efficiency instead of waiting all summer waiting for the axe to fall.

There is no "off" season in HVAC with the problems there are nationally with HVAC workers. There is the busy season and the "catch up" season.
    Government is a disease...
    ...masquerading as its own cure…
    Ecclesiastes 10:2 NIV

He's telling you the truth.

Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

My prices have gone up every 6 months for the last 18 months.. another one is just around the corner.