+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Vacuum setup

Post Likes

Vacuum setup

Looking for opinions or different ideasAttachment 258821
    "I've got my Gas Mechanics license"
    "Yea, well my 16yr old daughter has her drivers license, doesn't mean she knows how to drive"

Post Likes
    looks good to me, but who knows. You could add a fancy micron gauge if you want. Or also use a core extractor tool to pull the vac with no schrader core and then reinsert it after evacuation.

Post Likes
    Damien, could you take a close up picture of the adapter you are using on the pump to attach your 3/8 hoses?

Post Likes
    The fitting on my pump is 1/2flare x 1/2flare x 1/2npt
    "Yea, well my 16yr old daughter has her drivers license, doesn't mean she knows how to drive"

Post Likes
    You are not gaining much by pulling the schrader cores in the system since you are still pulling through the cores in your core tools.

You will pull vac faster if you pull straight through the core tools, so you would have a straight wide open shot into the system.

Post Likes
    Most core tools have an auxiliary vacuum port, that you can also pull the core from, seal off, and then return the system core when done evacuating. I don't know about all the fittings that he's using here, but with a standard set of hoses that have just a core depressor, removing the schrader cores in the system is wide open, like opening a refrigeration service valve. Seems to speed up recovery a lot. And makes for a better vacuum, so I've been taught.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by jw-lu597 View Post
    Really? I haven't found this to be true, particularly when recovering. I don't know about all the fittings that he's using here, but with a standard set of hoses that have just a core depressor, removing the schrader cores in the system is wide open, like opening a refrigeration service valve. Seems to speed up recovery a lot. And makes for a better vacuum, so I've been taught.
    Yes, it does speed up recovery, but not the way it is hooked up in the pic. He is pulling through the cores in the core removal tool (CRT).

If Damien takes switches the mic gauge to the other port and hooks his vacuum hoses directly to the end of the CRT, he will speed up vac and recovery times.

Also why use 3 CRT's??

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckcrj View Post
    Yes, it does speed up recovery, but not the way it is hooked up in the pic. He is pulling through the cores in the core removal tool (CRT).

If Damien takes switches the mic gauge to the other port and hooks his vacuum hoses directly to the end of the CRT, he will speed up vac and recovery times.
    I see -- was confused with what you were saying for a second. We're on the same page. That's a lot of adapters. The less connections and restrictions the better.

Post Likes
    I removed all schraeders including in the CRTs. I use three for my micron gauge. And nylog on all those connections. Should have gotten a different angle

Post Likes
    Like this.

Post Likes
    I'll try just two CRTs on the next job. I agree, less connections the better.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckcrj View Post
    You are not gaining much by pulling the schrader cores in the system since you are still pulling through the cores in your core tools.

You will pull vac faster if you pull straight through the core tools, so you would have a straight wide open shot into the system.
    Try explaining this to mfrs, Lennox, that do not allow the use of CRTs on most resi equip!!!! http://hvac-talk.com/vbb/images/smilies/gah.gif
    The Food Stamp Program, administered by the U.S. Department of Agriculture, is proud to be distributing the greatest amount of free meals and stamps EVER.
    Meanwhile, the National Park Service, administered by the U.S. Department of the Interior, asks us to "Please Do Not Feed the Animals". Their stated reason for this policy "... the animals become dependent on handouts and will not learn to take care of themselves."
    from an excerpt by Paul Jacob in Sun City, AZ

Post Likes
    What do you do about those RTU's that have the longer schraeders?

Just braze in regular service ports?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by pacnw View Post
    Try explaining this to mfrs, Lennox, that do not allow the use of CRTs on most resi equip!!!! http://hvac-talk.com/vbb/images/smilies/gah.gif
    We are a lennox dealer, and I haven't heard this. What is their reasoning?

Post Likes
    I meant that they are manufactured so that cannot get the CRT on one or both service valves.
    The Food Stamp Program, administered by the U.S. Department of Agriculture, is proud to be distributing the greatest amount of free meals and stamps EVER.
    Meanwhile, the National Park Service, administered by the U.S. Department of the Interior, asks us to "Please Do Not Feed the Animals". Their stated reason for this policy "... the animals become dependent on handouts and will not learn to take care of themselves."
    from an excerpt by Paul Jacob in Sun City, AZ

Post Likes
    You can also evacuate without a core removal tool.

- pull schraders
    - evacuate
    - when evacuation is complete , open liquid service valve and allow pressure to reach 5 to 10 lbs on low side , then re-close liquid valve
    - if package unit or system void of refrigerant then add charge to reach the 5 to 10 lbs then stop
    - remove hose , place thumb over port and then quickly install schrader
    - little refrigerant is lost

Just another option

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by pacnw View Post
    I meant that they are manufactured so that cannot get the CRT on one or both service valves.
    Ahh yes, now I see what you mean.

Post Likes
    I like to have my micron gauge as far away from vac pump as possible. Also, I leave the cores in. My core removal tool works great on core replacement of a "pressurized system". I would not trust that it is tight enough to pull vacuum through.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by socotech View Post
    I like to have my micron gauge as far away from vac pump as possible. Also, I leave the cores in. My core removal tool works great on core replacement of a "pressurized system". I would not trust that it is tight enough to pull vacuum through.
    Aside from adding a service port somewhere on the system, right off the CRT is as good as it gets. Heck I suppose a guy could try put the gauge at one service port and hoses on the other?

Brainstorming... Is there a way to test the vacuum capability of a CRT? Putting my vacuum hoses on one CRT and a coupler at the female end of CRT with my gauge on it? When it pulls down I can blank off my pump, see what it holds.

Post Likes
    Where and how are you blanking off?

Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk 2

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in