Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Vacuum setup

Vacuum setup

Looking for opinions or different ideasName:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1335311634.254680.jpg
Views: 717
Size:  47.4 KB
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    "I've got my Gas Mechanics license"
    "Yea, well my 16yr old daughter has her drivers license, doesn't mean she knows how to drive"

looks good to me, but who knows. You could add a fancy micron gauge if you want. Or also use a core extractor tool to pull the vac with no schrader core and then reinsert it after evacuation.

Damien, could you take a close up picture of the adapter you are using on the pump to attach your 3/8 hoses?

The fitting on my pump is 1/2flare x 1/2flare x 1/2npt
    "Yea, well my 16yr old daughter has her drivers license, doesn't mean she knows how to drive"

You are not gaining much by pulling the schrader cores in the system since you are still pulling through the cores in your core tools.

You will pull vac faster if you pull straight through the core tools, so you would have a straight wide open shot into the system.

Most core tools have an auxiliary vacuum port, that you can also pull the core from, seal off, and then return the system core when done evacuating. I don't know about all the fittings that he's using here, but with a standard set of hoses that have just a core depressor, removing the schrader cores in the system is wide open, like opening a refrigeration service valve. Seems to speed up recovery a lot. And makes for a better vacuum, so I've been taught.

Quote Originally Posted by jw-lu597 View Post
    Really? I haven't found this to be true, particularly when recovering. I don't know about all the fittings that he's using here, but with a standard set of hoses that have just a core depressor, removing the schrader cores in the system is wide open, like opening a refrigeration service valve. Seems to speed up recovery a lot. And makes for a better vacuum, so I've been taught.
    Yes, it does speed up recovery, but not the way it is hooked up in the pic. He is pulling through the cores in the core removal tool (CRT).

If Damien takes switches the mic gauge to the other port and hooks his vacuum hoses directly to the end of the CRT, he will speed up vac and recovery times.

Also why use 3 CRT's??

Quote Originally Posted by chuckcrj View Post
    Yes, it does speed up recovery, but not the way it is hooked up in the pic. He is pulling through the cores in the core removal tool (CRT).

If Damien takes switches the mic gauge to the other port and hooks his vacuum hoses directly to the end of the CRT, he will speed up vac and recovery times.
    I see -- was confused with what you were saying for a second. We're on the same page. That's a lot of adapters. The less connections and restrictions the better.

I removed all schraeders including in the CRTs. I use three for my micron gauge. And nylog on all those connections. Should have gotten a different angle

Like this.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

I'll try just two CRTs on the next job. I agree, less connections the better.

Quote Originally Posted by chuckcrj View Post
    You are not gaining much by pulling the schrader cores in the system since you are still pulling through the cores in your core tools.

You will pull vac faster if you pull straight through the core tools, so you would have a straight wide open shot into the system.
    Try explaining this to mfrs, Lennox, that do not allow the use of CRTs on most resi equip!!!! http://hvac-talk.com/vbb/images/smilies/gah.gif
    The Food Stamp Program, administered by the U.S. Department of Agriculture, is proud to be distributing the greatest amount of free meals and stamps EVER.
    Meanwhile, the National Park Service, administered by the U.S. Department of the Interior, asks us to "Please Do Not Feed the Animals". Their stated reason for this policy "... the animals become dependent on handouts and will not learn to take care of themselves."
    from an excerpt by Paul Jacob in Sun City, AZ

What do you do about those RTU's that have the longer schraeders?

Just braze in regular service ports?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast