Thread: I GOT ONE!!!

Well, all my praying , being upfront and honest,knowing the right people, and trying very hard....I landed my first job with a commercial company.

They are a newer company, who got sick and tired of working for the jerk company's, who dont appreciate them.

When they walked , all the work came with. Customer satisfaction!

Anyway, my long time friend has a neighbor who works for this company, and I know he had alot to do with me getting on board.

They told me to hold off on school for a while, get a little experience, and that way when I do decide to go, I will learn faster and have a better understanding.

They started me with a dollar less then what I was making at my dead end tool and die job, and I couldnt be more happier.

I told them about my DUI's and since they were over seven years ago, and I haven't had mistakes since, they were fine with that, and seemed happy that I was honest with them. Plus I told them I have not touched anything for over 4 years. Even Quit smoking.

I start in two weeks, and I am a little nervous, but excited and totally gratefull I got a one in a million chance. I mean, Do companys really ever give guys a chance like Im gettting, with lack of experience?

Ok , Now I need to know what kind of basic tools I need to begin with my career. Anyone have any suggestions?

That depends on the type of ac work you will be doing.

Do a search on the whole site for a thread called "what is in your tool bag" or something similar. Plenty of lists and ideas for you to start your tool collection.

...Ron
    Roof Rat

I would ask your new employers what you need. No reason to waste money on things you wont need. Im sure they have a better idea at what you are going to be doing then we do.

starting you will need the basic stuff hammer, screw drivers, pliers, cordless drill, etc...
    prepare to spend thousands over time to get every thing you need.

I kinda figured to be spending money on tools, but as the new guy, my boss said basic hands tools in which you described, are what i will need to star off with.

What about a good work boot. Since it is a all commercial company, I will be outside, climbing on roofs, and so on. Anyone have a good suggestion for good boots for the trade?

And since I will be climbing ladders, a regular tool box is out of the question, how about a good tool bag. Is Home Depot a good place to go for this bag and some tools? I say that cause I have a card with them.

Well , I start monday, and I am a litle nervous, but more excited to start.

Any info on boots and tool bags would be helpfull. thanks to all that anwsered my questions. I will keep updateing my progress.

You havent heard the last of me!

God Bless!

Go get this kit. It'll get you off to a real good start.

http://shopping.msn.com/Specs/shp/?itemId=1059229

I wear only Red Wings. All have either a steel or fiberglass gusset in the sole to support your arch on ladders, and they last longer than any other boots that I have used.
    My "carry" toolbag is a CLC brand with a zipper flap to keep tools from falling out if it hangs up while climbing down a ladder.
    Licensing laws are tough, and it's about time.