Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    I've received 3 bids.

1) Ruud; 14 seer; 3-ton (I've requested a quote on a 3-1/2 ton) - this is the guy I've been using for 15-20 years.
    3) Lennox; 13 seer; 3-1/2 ton - this bidder suggested I go 3-1/2 ton for the hottest texas summer days.
    2) Trane; 13 seer; 3-ton - this bidder wants me to add on a heat pump and variable speed - he gave bids for a 13xr and a 19xl

Bids in order of cost.

Suggestions? I do want to make sure it stays cold in the summer; never have had trouble keeping it warm in the winter.

Thanks!
    Dave

where you at in cowtown

dfwdave

Maybe I missed it but what is the size of your present equipment and does it keep you cool?

jdb

Originally posted by jdb52
    dfwdave

Maybe I missed it but what is the size of your present equipment and does it keep you cool?

jdb

2-1/2 tons; the hottest days, it won't cool lower than 80 degrees - never did.

Originally posted by rednecktech
    where you at in cowtown
    Near Crowley

14 seer, 3 tone TRANE.

Dave,

I am homeowner and can only take you so far in this discussion, but at this point the usual question is, Did anyone perform a heat gain and loss calculation on your home? If you are undersized for cooling, then it's hard to know whether you need a 3 or 3.5 ton unit without that.

jdb

Originally posted by dfwdave
    I've received 3 bids.

1) Ruud; 14 seer; 3-ton (I've requested a quote on a 3-1/2 ton) - this is the guy I've been using for 15-20 years.
    3) Lennox; 13 seer; 3-1/2 ton - this bidder suggested I go 3-1/2 ton for the hottest texas summer days.
    2) Trane; 13 seer; 3-ton - this bidder wants me to add on a heat pump and variable speed - he gave bids for a 13xr and a 19xl

Bids in order of cost.

Suggestions? I do want to make sure it stays cold in the summer; never have had trouble keeping it warm in the winter.

Thanks!
    Dave

My opinion was base on 3 quote and wiht 14 seer trane unit is S/OK.

Dave,

Did anyone perform a heat gain and loss calculation on your home? If you are undersized for cooling, then it's hard to know whether you need a 3 or 3.5 ton unit without that.

jdb
    Yes. The Trane guy.

The Lennox guy had 50 years experience, so his 3-1/2 ton recommendation has merit in my mind.

Dave,
    As I said, I am a homeowner, with limited knowledge so I hope that some of the pros are looking over my shoulder as I give you advice.

So, you can have confidence that 3 ton fits your heat load because the Trane guy did a load calc. To me , the next question would be, how do you heat? I am guessing gas from your statement that you have never had trouble heating the house. Have you made the decision to switch to a heat pump? If you have an all electric house, then switching is advised.

jdb

Dave,
    As I said, I am a homeowner, with limited knowledge so I hope that some of the pros are looking over my shoulder as I give you advice.

So, you can have confidence that 3 ton fits your heat load because the Trane guy did a load calc. To me , the next question would be, how do you heat? I am guessing gas from your statement that you have never had trouble heating the house. Have you made the decision to switch to a heat pump? If you have an all electric house, then switching is advised.

jdb
    I have an all electric house; I presently have straight electric heat and a/c. I am replacing a 20 year old Goodman system.

I've been asking about heat pumps; I've had many people say no heat pump. Obviously the Trane guy likes heat pumps; I've heard Trane heat pumps are very good. The Trane bid is almost twice the Ruud bid (configured the way he recommends) - I can't see that much difference in properly installed units...

[Edited by dfwdave on 06-13-2006 at 03:57 PM]

Originally posted by dfwdave
    The Trane bid is almost twice the Ruud bid (configured the way he recommends) - I can't see that much difference in properly installed units...
    Funny ask them how they are able to justify that surely not in just the quality of the equipment because I would put Ruud up to Trane any day as an equal at least. I sell Ruud but personally any of the three would be good I would concentrate more on the quality of the installation because all three brands would be ok.
    __________________________________________________ _______________________
    “Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards". - Vernon Law

"Never let success go to your head, and never let failure go to your heart". - Unknown

who is your trane contractor?
    Is that ok to ask

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast