Exclamation Would like some help on a Carrier Infinity control board.

Model: FE4ANB006000AAAA
    Serial: 0809a83144
    New control board: Hk38ea012

I have a fellow tech at a house yesterday and today replacing a control board and module in this unit. I am unable to get to this home for another 3 days due to being in the hospital myself.

The original complaint was that the motor was not running, and the original tech is no longer with us, and doesn't remember exactly what he had seen when he was there.

When this second tech went out, he replaced the board and module that was supplied by Carrier/Totaline. He then called me because the original control board had screw terminals for A,B,C,D (the communication hookups).

The new control board "Hk38ea012" requires a plug for the same terminals, and was not included with it.

When we contacted carrier, they seemed a little baffled but after some research said it was a plug in high demand but it was back ordered.

Now after i explained to the tech on site, i had him install a standard tstat, wiring the system, (tstat, air handler, and condenser) as a common system using RGWYOC terminals.

According to the installation manual i was able to download, it states this is possible to run the system for emergency cooling/heating if the control interface(tstat) has failed and a replacement is not readily available.

Once he turned the power back on, and after the timed delay passed, the heat pump came on but once again the blower did not come on. On the new board it was flashing code 25, invalid motor/model selection...

First off, this is the first time the local distributor has given us just a module, usually its a matching preprogrammed module and motor, so im kinda worried its not a matching module/motor. It is also possible the motor its self was to blame.

Second with the system not hooked up as a communicating system, but in emergency mode, wired as a common system shouldn't it bypass the motor id/system model numbers check and turn on the motor when a call for cooling,heat or fan is activated?

Any insight is greatly appreciated, as im sure most of you are aware, troubleshooting calls like this through another's less experienced eyes can be very frustrating.

Model: FE4ANB006000AAAA
    Serial: 0809a83144
    New control board: Hk38ea012

The new control board "Hk38ea012" requires a plug for the same terminals, and was not included with it.

When we contacted carrier, they seemed a little baffled but after some research said it was a plug in high demand but it was back ordered.
    Since Carrier can't provide you with a part to support their own equipment they should be happy to provide you with a pinout on the plugs so you can wire it manually.

The model plug must be moved from the old board to the new board. It has two resistors on it. Should be easy to find. Of course you must have the original board. If not, then you'll have to order a new model plug.

Quote Originally Posted by hvacrmedic View Post
    The model plug must be moved from the old board to the new board. It has two resistors on it. Should be easy to find. Of course you must have the original board. If not, then you'll have to order a new model plug.

DITTO!!

Had a tech remove the board from a similar Bryant Evolution system. He forgot to pull the four pin model plug from the old board and install it on the new. Same code# 25. Threw him for a whirl for a few hours until he called me.

Yeah, those plugs come with the Infinity Controller. I also had an issue with the condenser missing the plug as well. Carrier SOLD us a pack of ten and told us to take it up with our residential sales guy. Not sure how it got resolved. For all its functionality, I think the Infinity controller is the ugliest/least intuitive on the market.
    Quote Originally Posted by k-fridge View Post
    The laws of physics know no brand names.

Some times when u install a new board or variable speed blower the infinity stat will recognize it and sometimes it will not then u have to go in advanced menu and go to install then manually tell the t stat what kind of unit it is and like someone else said make sure the chip on the old board in put on the new one if u need to see if the communication on board is good turn power off and disconnect abcd wires and u should read 17-19k ohms between a and b pins and one more thing I had to learn the hard way is u cant just go to the shop and take one off of another unit the boards are pre programmed for that specific unit it has to b one that u order for replacement

The thermostat may or may not recognize the equipment. But the actual furnace control board is looking for that stupid mini pc card with the two resistors on it. The furnace will not work without the model module attached whether utilizing the furnace with a basic thermostat or utilizing the infinity system.

There are also dip switches that if not put back to the OFF location, I think diagnostic switch SW1 1 and 6 both need to be in the OFF position or you will get the 25 code, too. FYI

Here is the resistor ohms for either the AC/Heatpump boards and the furnace boards. Gives the ohm values of each of the card's mounted resistors. Can hit RadioShack for the proper resistors if in a major jam, done that once before a few moons back.
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Thank you all, turns out it was just a plug on the old board and when the tech removed it he had swapped it for a warranty replacement,....with it still on it.

What gets me, is while at the supply house, not one single person had the slightest idea what i was talking about and had said we were crazy,... after an hour and it was already past closing time, i got them to open up a brand new air handler, and what do you know, no plug, so where else could it come from?

Well looks like SoFlaDave was correct, i had them pull a new controller and there it was in the box,... well after all this Totaline gladly sold me a package of 10 of them.

i went to the call and after swapping the motor, module and control board, installing a surge protector that the customer i was out of there in an hour.

now the other tech has a nice key ring for his van keys with one of the plugs on it, one attached to his dash and i glued one to his tool box all as reminders to look around while working. Not sure what to do with the 6 other ones i now have...
    Attached Images Attached Images  

SoFlaDave, have you seen the wireless link this system has? It is the ugliest thing i have EVER seen. Sears installed this system, typical attic installation for Florida, i wish i took pictures but the wireless link is smack above the tstat, butted right up against it to hide the wires that were CARVED into the drywall, and it its self is about 8" tall 12" wide and 3" deep with a dam antennae on the top... WTF Carrier.

Ill raise you 4 of my extra plugs for 3 of your plugs...

Quote Originally Posted by acessford101 View Post
    SoFlaDave, have you seen the wireless link this system has? It is the ugliest thing i have EVER seen. Sears installed this system, typical attic installation for Florida, i wish i took pictures but the wireless link is smack above the tstat, butted right up against it to hide the wires that were CARVED into the drywall, and it its self is about 8" tall 12" wide and 3" deep with a dam antennae on the top... WTF Carrier.

Ill raise you 4 of my extra plugs for 3 of your plugs...
    thats hilarious. Between the Trane950 and the Honeywell Prestige the current Infinity stuff looks outdated by about 15 years. At least Trane gives you the option of using a standard 24v controller.
    Quote Originally Posted by k-fridge View Post
    The laws of physics know no brand names.