View Poll Results: Would you turn someone in for venting refrigerants to the atmosphere?

Voters
27. You may not vote on this poll
  • I would, if there was a reward.

4 14.81%
  • I would even if there were no reward.

6 22.22%
  • I would never, no mater what the reward.

17 62.96%
  • I have and there was a reward.

0 0%
  • I have and there was no reward.

0 0%
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: EPA Reward

Post Likes

EPA Reward

"EPA does not automatically offer a $10,000 reward or any other bounty for persons who inform the Agency of possible refrigerant violations."

What does this mean?

Do they or do they not pay rewards for telling on someone for venting HCFCs into the atmosphere?

Has anyone ever received a reward?

Please help if you can, thanks.

Post Likes
    I kind of remember seeing a blurb about the funding for rewards running out a couple of years after the regulations went into effect.
    I haven't exactly been paying attention, but I don't recall ever seeing anything about it since then, and have never heard of anyone receiving a reward.

Post Likes
    I was told, by a very reliable source, that the EPA Reward Program hasn't been funded in over 10 years.

Post Likes
    The EPA is just another government job bank scam.
    Training is important!
    Practical Training is a must!

Post Likes
    I have never heard of a reward being awarded and I have never heard about anyone getting busted by the EPA, other than very large shipments of phased out refrigerants and that was in news articles from my second year of apprenticeship.

The EPA has bigger fish to fry, like Al Gore and global warming.
    UA LU189

Post Likes
    Paper tiger. With that being said, there are reasons why we have those rules.

Post Likes
    My understanding is a person pretty much has to get act of venting on video tape, along with a hand written signed confession. Deliver this to EPA HQ. Then POSSIBLY they will check into it.
    A few years back the EPA only had 1 Agent to cover 5 States.

Not a lot of teeth, or claws in this cat, except for the occasional record keeping audit.
    Regardless, there is no excuse to not recover, and re-use or dispose of properly.
    “If your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.” ~Henry J. Kaiser

"Highly efficient equipment and LEED Bldgs are very expensive to maintain in order to keep that efficiency!" ~ Me

Post Likes
    The way I see it.They aren't interested in the average resi. or light commercial tech. They are looking for large industrial folks venting thousands of pounds of refergerants.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by skibme View Post
    The way I see it.They aren't interested in the average resi. or light commercial tech. They are looking for large industrial folks venting thousands of pounds of refergerants.
    I wouldn't even say that... I have never once heard, out of the thousands of people I have met in this trade, about any sort of EPA interaction.

No site inspections
    No audits
    No reporting of venting
    Nothing...

The big bucks is in factory/industrial emissions, spills, leaks, etc...

Naturally they are going to concentrate on the biggest revenue generators.
    UA LU189

Post Likes
    I remember reading about an industrial equipment salvager receiving a fine. This was probably 15 years ago.

Also the EPA used to keep a close watch on automotive repair shops, back in the waning R-12 days.

Post Likes
    I spoke with an EPA compliance agent last year. He told me that the EPA is "disinterested" in pursuing reports of venting. The effort they do put forth on the subject is directed toward appliance disposal sites.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. HST

Post Likes

Question EPA County Inspection

I have just been notified of a county inspection that will be done on our facility and trucks next week, I have been told to have our records on freon useage available but nothing else. The last one we had was about 10 years ago so was wondering if anyone had been through one of these inspections recently , We are in Florida,
    BD

Post Likes
    Do you work for the county and their operation is being checked or is the county conducting the investigation? Either way as long as you have your log book you should be good to go.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. HST

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by maustin View Post
    Do you work for the county and their operation is being checked or is the county conducting the investigation? Either way as long as you have your log book you should be good to go.
    The county is checking on us . That is a relief I thought there might be more involved Thanks !
    BD

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in