Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 14 to 26 of 34
  1. #14
    Quote Originally Posted by nairb25 View Post
    My company charges $170 per hour and I get paid $13!! Looking for work elsewhere...
    You're billed out at $170/Hr.? What do you do? Last time I checked JCI wasn't even charging that for York Chiller Service. You have to be non-Union getting $13/Hr. $13 is barely half of the benefits and fringes!

  2. #15
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    up in the hizzy
    Posts
    1,432
    Quote Originally Posted by nairb25 View Post
    My company charges $170 per hour and I get paid $13!! Looking for work elsewhere...
    you ought to be kidding? Homedepot pays more than that and you have to do is run away when you see customers.

  3. #16
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    up in the hizzy
    Posts
    1,432
    Quote Originally Posted by John Markl View Post
    Lots of posts on lots of threads claiming that union shops charge less, but pay more...

    Common sense dictates that there is more to this than meets the eye....and it's very likely that if you're not in management at one of these companies, you're not privvy to the reasons.
    maybe the owners live withing their means and sharing the wealth makes them happy
    Years ago there were 6 or 8 non-union sheet metal shops around here, today there are none, they all went belly up, while most of the union shops are still in business.

  4. #17
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Pa
    Posts
    758
    That's stranger because around here union outfits are a thig of the past.

  5. #18
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    23
    Quote Originally Posted by valdelocc View Post
    you ought to be kidding? Homedepot pays more than that and you have to do is run away when you see customers.
    I wish I was kidding!!! Been working at a non union shop just north of chicago. We service alot of the wealthy folks in the northern suburbs. I started at 13.00 almost a year ago, been a service tech and have been in the on call rotation for 9 months now!!! I think the owner may have the jew claw!

  6. #19
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Sherman, TX
    Posts
    9,441
    Quote Originally Posted by valdelocc View Post
    maybe the owners live withing their means and sharing the wealth makes them happy
    Years ago there were 6 or 8 non-union sheet metal shops around here, today there are none, they all went belly up, while most of the union shops are still in business.
    Yeah, that's it...Union shop owners are all altruistic, while non-union shop owners just don't know how to run a business....
    Technical incompetence is NOT a sales tool....

  7. #20
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Illinois
    Posts
    551
    Quote Originally Posted by nairb25 View Post
    I wish I was kidding!!! Been working at a non union shop just north of chicago. We service alot of the wealthy folks in the northern suburbs. I started at 13.00 almost a year ago, been a service tech and have been in the on call rotation for 9 months now!!! I think the owner may have the jew claw!
    I wouldn't doubt it! Most of the companies north are owned mostly by Jews, which is not a bad thing at all but at $13 for a service tech I cringed! Residential or commercial? Sounds more like a residential company than anything.
    Minds are like parachutes. They only function when they are open.

  8. #21
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    23
    Quote Originally Posted by albowrx View Post
    I wouldn't doubt it! Most of the companies north are owned mostly by Jews, which is not a bad thing at all but at $13 for a service tech I cringed! Residential or commercial? Sounds more like a residential company than anything.
    We are residential/ light commercial company. My boss keeps telling me what a great asset I am and what a bright future I have with the company. He did just lay 3 guys off so I guess I should be glad to be working but after i pay taxes and health insurance I'm lucky to take home $300 a week!!!!!

  9. #22
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Sherman, TX
    Posts
    9,441
    Quote Originally Posted by nairb25 View Post
    We are residential/ light commercial company.
    In that case, is the $170 per hour rate you quoted the company flat rate labor rate, or an invoiced labor rate?

    $170 for one tech, or a tech and helper?

    Another question comes to mind with the union, non-union discussion.

    Which one is REALLY cheaper? The non-union shop who sends ONE guy out who can take care of piping, wiring, and sheetmetal work on the same job....or the union shop that has to send out three different guys for the same job....even though the hourly rate per man is lower?
    Technical incompetence is NOT a sales tool....

  10. #23
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Illinois
    Posts
    551
    Quote Originally Posted by nairb25 View Post
    We are residential/ light commercial company. My boss keeps telling me what a great asset I am and what a bright future I have with the company. He did just lay 3 guys off so I guess I should be glad to be working but after i pay taxes and health insurance I'm lucky to take home $300 a week!!!!!
    He's laying them off because he has you to do the job for a lot less. Look for a job elsewhere. Things are slow now, but it might be also a good time to walk into places and introduce yourself to the owners.
    Minds are like parachutes. They only function when they are open.

  11. #24
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    23
    Quote Originally Posted by John Markl View Post
    In that case, is the $170 per hour rate you quoted the company flat rate labor rate, or an invoiced labor rate?

    $170 for one tech, or a tech and helper?

    Another question comes to mind with the union, non-union discussion.

    Which one is REALLY cheaper? The non-union shop who sends ONE guy out who can take care of piping, wiring, and sheetmetal work on the same job....or the union shop that has to send out three different guys for the same job....even though the hourly rate per man is lower?
    Sadly it's $170 per hour for each man on the job, $150 per hour thereafter. If there is a tech and one helper, it's $340 for that first hour. It's a flat labor rate. BTW I just let my service manager know that I am taking the NATE exams in June and he said "good luck"! Thanks alot!

  12. #25
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    23
    Quote Originally Posted by albowrx View Post
    He's laying them off because he has you to do the job for a lot less. Look for a job elsewhere. Things are slow now, but it might be also a good time to walk into places and introduce yourself to the owners.
    As soon as I get my NATE certifications in June and get to use my 1 week of vacation I will finally earn, I'm gone. I am interested to see what kind of pay raise they will offer me at the 1 year mark.

  13. #26
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    3,136
    Quote Originally Posted by albowrx View Post
    I wouldn't doubt it! Most of the companies north are owned mostly by Jews, which is not a bad thing at all but at $13 for a service tech I cringed! Residential or commercial? Sounds more like a residential company than anything.
    I don't see many HVAC service companies with dreidels and menorahs on the side of the van advertising that they are jewish owned, but christians have no problem exploiting their religious symbolism in the name of making a few bucks and making some old folks feel warm and fuzzy inside. It's the so-called christian businesses you have to watch out for. They all proudly proclaim that they're christian owned/run/whatever, but it's just a marketing gimmick.
    The key to happiness is lower expectations.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Comfortech Show Promo Image

Related Forums

Plumbing Talks | Contractor Magazine
Forums | Electrical Construction & Maintenance (EC&M) Magazine
Comfortech365 Virtual Event