Thread: xl20i vs xl15i

xl20i vs xl15i

HI
    I live in houston texas, my home is 1800 sq feet,
    will the extra cost of a trane xl20i be a woth wile investment?
    I plan on staying in the hose but I want to know will I see savinging on my electric bill that would equal the 2000 dollars over what a xl15i would cost?
    also is this two stage equipment a proven design?
    thanks

As long as you have a tight and well insulated duct system, you will see some energy savings. How much depends on your usage, and a number of other factors.

The primary benefit of the 2 stage system is increased comfort due to the longer run times and increased dehumidification, which are big considerations in your area.

The basic design of the XL20i has been in use for around 15 years, and is quite reliable when installed and set up properly.
    If more government is the answer, then it's a really stupid question.

Does the XL20i they quoted you come with the communicating option? Even if it doesn't, I'd go with the XL20i if you can afford it. You do know the outside unit is huge!
    With your chrome heart shining in the sun, long may you run.

they really did not talk about communicating but I origionally asked for a quote on the xl15.
    they are quoting
    condenser 4TTZ0048A1000A
    furnace TUD2C080ACV42A
    Coil 4TXFH063CZ3HAA

ductwork is half the system. what type ductwork do you have and did they even look at it? what type of unit is in there now?

i have hard metal ductwork from when house was buildt. 1977.
    now I have 3.5 ton american standard that has a leak it is 12 years old 10 seer.
    my furnace is 21 years old so iam looking to replace everything. he did look at the duct work and said it was ok. but when he came out we were originaly talking xl15i. it was after the fact that i started hearing about the two stage xl20i

Quote Originally Posted by 4arnie55 View Post
    they really did not talk about communicating but I origionally asked for a quote on the xl15.
    they are quoting
    condenser 4TTZ0048A1000A
    furnace TUD2C080ACV42A
    Coil 4TXFH063CZ3HAA
    That would be a communicating system.

Quote Originally Posted by 4arnie55 View Post
    i have hard metal ductwork from when house was buildt. 1977.
    Regardless of what system you get, I'd recommend getting the duct system sealed so it has no air leaks, including sealing the register boots to the ceiling.
    Excessive duct leakage is bad with any system, but can be quite the disaster with a 2 stage system.

Metal duct systems from that era typically have some significant leakage, no matter how skillfully designed and installed.
    Energy was cheap, and the consequences of duct system leaks were not widely understood, so the duct sealing standards didn't go much further than wrapping a layer of grey duct tape around the connections for individual duct sections.
    Really conscientious installers would also tape the sections of adjustable elbows, but that is about it.
    That grey duct tape also tends to cook loose.

Duct sealing is right up there with adding insulation in regards to return on investment in energy savings.
    It also can help with a number of IAQ issues, like excessive dust in the home, excessive indoor humidity, etc.
    If more government is the answer, then it's a really stupid question.

The XL20i(heat pump in my area) is the most popular unit I sell, they are incredibly quiet, they provide very even comfort great dehumidification and with the communicating XC80 furnace they quoted they have lots of zoning upgrade options.

I have an XL15i in my house and kick myself everyday for not doing the XL20i.

However, there is something wrong with the system they quoted you, that furnace only has a 3.5 ton blower if I remember correct and if you had a 3.5 ton system you should not be sizing up in 90% of cases that I see. You should probably be sizing down to a 3 ton XL20i with e 60k furnace, ask for load calculations to verify this or look for ways to air seal or duct seal the house to be able to downsize the unit rather than upsize.
    Check out my YouTube channel - http://www.youtube.com/user/skyheating1 We have customer testimonials, product reviews and more!
    Like us on FACEBOOK if you like our advice here!

Quote Originally Posted by SkyHeating View Post
    The XL20i(heat pump in my area) is the most popular unit I sell, they are incredibly quiet, they provide very even comfort great dehumidification and with the communicating XC80 furnace they quoted they have lots of zoning upgrade options.

I have an XL15i in my house and kick myself everyday for not doing the XL20i.

However, there is something wrong with the system they quoted you, that furnace only has a 3.5 ton blower if I remember correct and if you had a 3.5 ton system you should not be sizing up in 90% of cases that I see. You should probably be sizing down to a 3 ton XL20i with e 60k furnace, ask for load calculations to verify this or look for ways to air seal or duct seal the house to be able to downsize the unit rather than upsize.
    I agree with SkyHeating! When I replaced my system in my home 4 years ago I was wanted the XL20i system but my budget would not allow due the fact that I don't plan on being in my house but about 7 years before building a new one. At the the time the XL 15i heat pump didn't make sense. So I went with the XR 15 which is the XL 15i without the 12 compressor warranty, quieter system and sleeker look. At that time the XR15 had better performance numbers.

Know with the new Trane air handler (which I wish I would waited to get) I would have got the same numbers if not better with the XL 15i. If you are planning to stay in the home for a while, I would think long and hard about the XL20i!!! I plan to put this system in my new home. If cost was not a factor, I would suggest the XL20 system.

The XL15 verus XL 20 system same design and warranty but the XL20 will do so much more and really help with comfort in your home. If it were my home I would look for the Proper sized system in the XL15 verus going up in size with the XL 20. As more then likely your duct system will not handle the increase of going up a 1/2 ton. As SkyHeating suggested might want to consider insulation, windows etc... To get you at a 3 ton load.

The XL20 is trane's top of the line but is only as good as the installer that installs it & what your duct system can handle. In my neck of the woods the XL15 is the most popular system. Either way you go both systems are good but the XL20 has more benefits for added comfort and electric bill.

Your Real savings might be in other than higher grade equipment as mentioned in other replies. However, I might guess that one could expect $150 annual Cooling savings and $ 100 annual Heating $avings for a 20 SEER versus a 15 SEER. hvacopcost dot com
    Designer Dan
    It's Not Rocket Science, But It is SCIENCE with "Some Art". ___ ___ K EEP I T S IMPLE & S INCERE

Define the Building Envelope and Perform a Detailed Load Calc: It's ALL About Windows and Make-up Air Requirements. Know Your Equipment Capabilities

I'd leave 20 SEER out of the equation. That match is 17.75 SEER making the difference to 15 lots closer. Of course that's even assuming the 15i match is 15.

Confused Newbie needs help on selecting XL15i, XL16i, or XL20i

Dear All,

I'm a newbie. I'm not sure how to start a new topic so I reply to this thread. I live in Southern California. Our 20 year old 5 ton Carrier broke. Our house has 2 A/C's - one for downstairs and one for the 2nd floor. The one I need to replace is on the first floor. We have about 30 windows on 1st floor and have high ceiling and the 1st floor is about 1500 sqft. We use electricity for the A/C.
    I went on Trane's website and answered some questions on line - I was suggested to get XL15i, XL16i, or XL20i. I'm not sure which one is better for my house. I did some research on line and read a review pointing out that XL15i has a problem of leaking coil, which always needs replacement - that doesn't sound good.
    It'll be greatly appreciated if you could please advice which model would be a good choice for my house!
    Thank you very much!