Moving Condensing Unit - Residential

Problem:

Experiencing basement water issues due to improper grade around foundation. Most of the area around the foundation has been re-graded, however condensing unit is in the way. Homeowner was quoted $XXX to move the unit (reclaim refrigerant, disconnect, reconnect, recharge, etc).

Question:

Is it possible to lift the unit while it is still attached using an engine lift type device? Unit only needs to be lifted 1.5 feet off the ground to attain proper slope / grade.

Any comments or suggestions on how this might be done would be greatly appreciated. We are in the Philadelphia Suburbs.

>>> Edit: No Pricing. Please review the site rules before further posting. <<<

[Edited by jrbenny on 06-12-2006 at 04:57 PM]

don't kink the copper, especially where it exits the home. that will double the quoted price.

Price

Does that quoted price sound reasonable? The unit is only 2 years old.

Not only 2 time maybe 3time price.

IF you can raise it without kinking the lines and the electric is flexible enough, then go for it, but a 11/2' sounds like a lot.
    The quote you got is probably about right. There is alot more to it than what you think to do it right.

Nah, they're ripping you off. You don't need a contractor for that! Just get two big dudes named Buford to grab it and yank it into place. Don't worry about kinking the lines or moving the electrical, the kinks help slow the freezone down and it'll cool better.

Seriously, just pay someone to pump it down and yank it. Don't risk damaging the lines and paying more in repairs than you were originally quoted.
    Good? Bad? I'm the guy with the gun.

Funny...

I belive it is a 1.5 ton unit, house is only 1300 sq. ft. (cape) built in the 50's. The power running to the unit is very flexible as is the thin copper line, but the large copper line is what bothers me.

Re: Funny...

Originally posted by mc1169
    I belive it is a 1.5 ton unit, house is only 1300 sq. ft. (cape) built in the 50's. The power running to the unit is very flexible as is the thin copper line, but the large copper line is what bothers me.
    You just answered your own question with that statement.

Bottom line, pay to have it done right.