Unhappy

We recently received a Carrier "CAPMP" muti-poise evaporator coil. The drain pan has two green wires running from the aluminium frame to the plastic drain pan. I assume it helps prevent static and keep dust from accumulating on the drain pan. Carrier literature only mentioned that the drain pan was made from some sort of polyester, they never mentioned the wires. Does anybody have any ideas about this?

Is the unit installed yet?
    Do as I say, not as I do

Not yet it's still here at the shop

Do the wires have anything connected to them? Try Ohming them out to see if you gt any resistance. Could be a LAT Sensor.
    Do as I say, not as I do

No, the wires have an eyelet on one end that is attached to the drain pan with a coarse-thread screw. The other end of the wires have a female connection that slips on a male adapter that's screwed to the aluminun frame of the coil. It simply looks like two jumpers.

It's not connected to any electronics at all? Sounds sort of like a condensate overflow sensor..

No, nothing like that. No sensors involved. It reminds me of a dust collection system that is piped with PVC pipe. Sometimes a wire will be installed on the pipe someway to prevent the static build up due to the duct rubbing the interior of the pipe.

Slow corrosion

The connections are to slow down the corrosion of your AC parts through either cathodic protection or sacrificial anode (depending on forced current).

What is the drain pan's material?

[Edited by mjk_na on 06-23-2006 at 07:48 AM]

The Carrier literature describes it as some sort of polyester. It's definately no kind of metal.

Can you post the picture please?

Hmm...

If the pan is of non metal material - then the wires are most probably used for preventing static current buildup. However, what is the reason to do so? The pan will be damp (or wet anyway) - which will deter formation of static current.

Hmm...

Yeah, you would think so. I quess the upper part of the pan stays relativly dry. Sorry, no pictures...we've already installed it.