+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Manitowoc S-Series 1800 no ice

Post Likes

Manitowoc S-Series 1800 no ice

New to ice machines, only had a breif time to look over the system will be going back tomorrow and have some questions on why this machine will not make any ice

some info: had 5 degrees of subcooling but for some reason it seemed like it would kick its self into harvest much to soon before ice would form all the way: sopposedly was working fine untill someone recently cleaned it I did get it to make a batch of ice after removing the ice/water sensor probe from under neath the water curtian making me beleive the probe was faulty, had another call to go to promptly so had to leave it like that

in the freezing cycle is it normal for both the curtain and harvest light to be on at the same time?

Post Likes
    question #1 .. when's the last time the water components were disassembled & cleaned w/ approved cleaner? along with clean cycle with approved chemical? .. don't worry about SC ..

Post Likes
    The same day I was there it had been taken apart and cleaned, hours prior in the morning, i arrived in the afternoon from what i could tell the filters were replaced a few days ago aswell and from what I was told they had been using bleach to clean the components

I really think I overlooked something? it was stuck in harvest/// the curtian light was always on? maybe the curtain isn't sitting 100% back to the correct position? coil temperture was -25ish , condesner coil was clean and at a temperture of like 85, it would cycle and reverse over and the coil would get to about 20-30 degrees in harvest

when i dried the probe off the harvest light shut off on the freeze cycle after cycling it from ice to off and back

pump was working, the sump water was pretty cold to the touch, did not get a chance to get a temperture

Post Likes
    as long as the curtain is closed the light will be on. what i would check is DLT @ end of freeze cycle. that's useful info. i typically don't trust anyone to clean a machine for me including coworkers. what the evap look like dry? was the thickness probe fouled up looking on the side that contacts water?

Post Likes
    Did you adjust the ice thickness probe? Water is contacting probe to soon or probe is bad.

Post Likes
    The unit has a minimum run time on start up. Disconecting a shorted ice thickness probe will make ice. Replace it. Easy money

Post Likes
    Unit made ice until it was cleaned? Probe needs to be thouroughly rinsed and dried before it is reinstalled on machine.
    Officially, Down for the count

YOU HAVE TO GET OFF YOUR ASS TO GET ON YOUR FEET

I know enough to know, I don't know enough
    Why is it that those who complain the most contribute the least?
    MONEY CAN'T BUY HAPPINESS. POVERTY CAN'T BUY ANYTHING

Post Likes
    Def sounds like a thickness probe issue

Post Likes
    came back in the morning noticed it was making ice but in super thick sheets, ran it in another clean cycle and adjusted the thickness screw, seems to be working now still takes a pretty long time to make ice tho, and i noticed the water draining from the sump during the freeze cycle? which didnt make sense to me, I am under the impression water dump valve is sticking and needs replacement? the continual add of new water will make it difficult for the machine to make ice correct right ?

Post Likes
    it's a batch system so water doesn't continuously fill during cycle every time water level drops. you may not be successfully harvesting so what's left in ice on the evap is now becoming part of the next cycle thus getting real thick which could be a release issue. which reading everything you mention so far makes me first think machine in need of proper cleaning

Post Likes
    the sump water temperture needs to be at 32 degrees dosent it? so the continual slow drain and add of new make up water that is warmer will delay ice correct?

it took 15-20 minuets for it to make 1 batch of ice? is that to long? from freeze to harvest ?

either way it was making ice again so I was content.

is there any standard distance to know exactly how far out or close to place the ice thickness water probe?

Post Likes
    well the water inlet valve only energizes during prechill & once after during freeze cycle (batch system) ... yea obviously warm inlet water can effect it & maybe its effecting your machine ... just think you would lose all your water before thickness probe initiates harvest at correct thickness . . you can try cleaning your dump valve as water shouldnt be leaking by anyway ... you put it through another clean cycle, no offense did you use appropriate cleaner in the trough to circulate with over the evap? also thickness probe needs removal to be cleaned

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by KittenMittens View Post
    is there any standard distance to know exactly how far out or close to place the ice thickness water probe?
    i use 1/4 dry evap to probe as starting point but typically have to adjust ever so slightly

Post Likes
    Thank you for everyones inputs, probe was jacked putting it into harvest way to early and the dump valve was leaking

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by KittenMittens View Post
    Recommended bridge is 1/8" thick on the ice slab
    Officially, Down for the count

YOU HAVE TO GET OFF YOUR ASS TO GET ON YOUR FEET

I know enough to know, I don't know enough
    Why is it that those who complain the most contribute the least?
    MONEY CAN'T BUY HAPPINESS. POVERTY CAN'T BUY ANYTHING

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in