+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Gas Deep Fryer Problem

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Post Likes

Gas Deep Fryer Problem

I got roped into working on a gas deep fryer today.

No electricals, typical thermopile setup with a thermostat and a limit.

It lights up and burns just fine, but when it shuts off, the burners "pop", and in the process, blows the pilot out.

Thoughts?
    Technical incompetence is NOT a sales tool....

Post Likes

WHat temp?

WHat temperature is it shutting off at? If it is wired that way, it sounds like the limit is worn and is shutting everything down.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by tuba View Post
    WHat temperature is it shutting off at? If it is wired that way, it sounds like the limit is worn and is shutting everything down.
    It's shutting down at whatever temp you set it for. I've experimented with it, and I can turn the stat up and down, and whenever it shuts off, there's a "foomp...pop" and the flame goes out, and takes the pilot with it.

Post Likes
    Maybe try a good cleaning on the pilot assembly is it good and strong, only other things are gas pressure or shutter adjustment.
    For some reason I learn more with my mouth shut

Post Likes

Post Likes
    Clean it all! Not just the pilot assembly nut the burners too. Don't forget the tubes in the pot, as a restriction in the tube can cause the popping as well. Also you didn't mention whether this is natural or LP. There is the chance that the gas valve is going out and delaying in shut down which will also cause a popping noise. Most likely there are blocked ports in one or more burners causing this issue.

Post Likes
    If burners and tubes are clean, suggest gas valve too slow in closing. Double check burners and tubes first before going the valve route. Especially on LP gas.
    One way to outthink people is to make them think you think. They'll think you're not really thinking what you're trying to get them to think you think...........

Post Likes
    Been thinking on this one. What brand is the fryer? Is this a millivolt standing pilot as I think it is? I've seen this popping in Mc D's frymaster infrared forced air fryers with bad gaskets so if it is other than the simple millivolt unit we should talk more.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by crymtide View Post
    Been thinking on this one. What brand is the fryer? Is this a millivolt standing pilot as I think it is? I've seen this popping in Mc D's frymaster infrared forced air fryers with bad gaskets so if it is other than the simple millivolt unit we should talk more.
    IIRC, it's an Imperial. It IS a millivolt gas unit. It's also the only reason I'll touch it. It's just a floor furnace, and you don't have to crawl under the house to work on it...

I used my stock millivolt valve on a fryer last winter and forgot to restock it. I've ordered two more (four supply houses in town and nobody has one). When it comes in, I'll be replacing it. I've already pulled the three burners and cleaned them all out. The pilot is good. I had already replaced the thermopile, because the pilot wouldn't stay lit at all to begin with.

I replaced the thermopile, and it took off just fine. I went into the dining room to eat, and about the time I finished, the lady came out and said "it's out again".....So, I went back and did some experimenting, and discovered that it got blown out every time the thermostat satisfied.

Post Likes
    Sounds like the burners are plugged, you need to pull it take out the orifices and clean it well then chk and insure you have the correct gas pressure for the unit.

Post Likes
    Check the burner tubes and the flue, make sure there is no blockages.

Post Likes
    Is the unit level? What I mean, is the far end of the burner lower than the orifice end?
    That can cause the same symptoms/problem.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in