Talking

Hi,
    Local neighbor/installer is pushing Frigidaire unit because of long warranty but I can get a comparable BTU/TON unit from Payne for 33% less. He says Payne is Carrier low end and so parts won't last as long. What do you guys think your opinions are greatly appreciated? Looking at 80% and 10 SEER if still available. Installer doesn't recommend 90% too much maintenance and mroe to go wrong we're in N. CA.
    Thanks for your comments.

gto boy Guest
    Get a new contractor,Payne is Carrier LOW line and they RAN out a bunch with Payne name before 13 SEER phase in.

Frigidaire is a very nice unit, sound deadening top, Copeland scroll compressor, long warranty. Payne is marketed as a very low priced unit. You aren't comparing like products. Nordyne (maker of Frigidaire) has their Gibson brand to compete with Payne. If you want to save 33%, go for Payne. If you want a better built product with a better warranty, go with the Frigidaire (or premium line Bryant or Carrier for that matter).

IS Pain ANY Good ?

Originally posted by iyee
    but I can get a comparable BTU/TON unit from Payne for 33% less.
    What do you guys think ?
    NO
    Designer Dan
    It's Not Rocket Science, But It is SCIENCE with "Some Art". ___ ___ K EEP I T S IMPLE & S INCERE

Define the Building Envelope and Perform a Detailed Load Calc: It's ALL About Windows and Make-up Air Requirements. Know Your Equipment Capabilities

Talking

Thank you all for your help I'll be sticking with the Frigidaire. I was hoping that since they were such a big company they would just skimp on features in the Payne line but use the same parts as found in the Carrier line. That way less parts in the inventory and buy higher volume since they use same parts everywhere.

value unit

United Technologies makes Carrier, Payne, Bryant. The Payne line is a value unit not a cheap low end unit. Value units are made by every manufacturer, they are the no bells and whistles unit.Carrier and Bryant make value units and premium units. Payne only makes value units. Carriers 10 seer value A/C unit was their ckc model. The carrier ckc model and the payne PA10 model used the same parts just a different casing. Payne 80% eff furnaces are identical to Carriers and Bryants 80% eff value line furnaces. Payne value line units are not bad units you save money because your not paying for the name. Payne made a 10 seer and a 12 seer A/C unit and will be making a 13 seer unit soon. The 12 seer unit uses a scroll compressor a GE motor, Parker service valves, GE capacitors. They make a 80% and 90% eff furnace. All their units are single stage and in my opinion a good value not cheap low end. Hate to be a broken record but the unit you have installed is only as good as the installer. Installed correctly any unit can last, installed poorly and even a premium unit will give you problems. Shop the contractor not so much the unit.

Hmm

Thanks for your comment lbjheat. It looks like your very familiar with Payne products and I guess I was partially right they do use similar parts just the lower line parts for each value line. So do all brands use the non-scroll compressor in there 10 SEER, even Frigidaire?
    What about that GE motor you referred to. I was looking into getting that variable speed ECM motor by GE for the furnace blower but people tell me it's not worth the money. I was thinking that running the fan only during the allergy season might help. People told me to just wire up a relay and you can switch the low speed on a non-ECM motor then switch to high speed when needed. Similar to the ECM idea saving electricity buy running at a lower speed.