Thread: new code

new code

so i was in the supply house yesterday and was told these new locking refigerant caps are code now in florida. even on commercial? also i was told hurricane straps are going from one steel bracket in each corner to two in each corner. and a couple months back they started making us put float switches on the primary drain line and a float in the pan. this seems to be getting out of control. anyone shed some light here. everytime we install a unit they have something new to ding us on.

just to clarify we always put float switches on splits but a float outside of an rtu .

May not actually be code. Might just be sales.

I'd wait for the inspecting to pitch a fit.

I'm not in Florida, so I don't know, but in Illinois, the most corrupt state in the union, rules are written by bureaucrats who have trouble finding there A$S with two hands.

I believe it's in the IMC, that all access ports located outdoors need to have locking caps. But I haven't seen it being enforced in my area.

As ascj stated. It is in the new IMC and UMC. But very few states have adopted the new codes yet. Most states are still running 2 code cycles behind. The process is something like this:

1. Code agencies agree on and pass a new code. It gets printed.

2. States have review cycles. (Usually every 2 years.)

3. The relevant state agencies review the new codes and make adjustments and omissions.

4. They pass it through committee.

5. The legislature has to pass its acceptance.

If your state is anywhere near as bogged down as Maine, that means you are working on 6 year old code versions.

Don't sweat it until an inspector points it out or a MOCC (Memorandum of Code Change) is issued.

Many local towns in Central Jersey by me has failed for not having the locking caps.
    We put them on everything that is installed now. Not worth the trip back to install caps for a failed inspection.. For the cost of them, we just add the cost to the quote.
    Ride hard on a Harley!!

Well I failed one the other day cuse I had a ss2 float into the.primary drain on a lennox rtu but not inside the unit cliped on the drai pan. Plus we have the ever changing code for hurricane straps. It's diffrent dependent on which inspector we get.

Inspectors here are starting to look for evidence of a drain safety inside RTU's now.

The usual old float switch doesn't work out well in a lot of units because there isn't a good place to put it that has room for it.

I've been using AquaGuard AG-3180E
    http://rctus.com/index.php?option=co...id=297&lang=en

It has a really small sensor that clips on the edge of the internal drain pan, and enough plenum rated wire attached to mount the control box in an easily accessible location.
    The control box part of it can also be stuck inside an emergency drain pan on a split system to act as a secondary sensor, so it is literally 2 sensors in 1.
    If more government is the answer, then it's a really stupid question.

if you are pulling permits in Florida you also need a Heat Load Calc for the space your installing the unit in and you have to certify the ducts to have no leaks (where you can gain access) and post that on the AHU before inspection along with all the other neat stuff they have out on float switch's and straps