Thread: Drywall Mistake

Frown

Help guys!
    What is the easiest way to locate a hidden HVAC register? Two story house, new construction, and drywall contractors covered up a few on the first floor.

I've never had em cover up a boot, but they've covered up my thermostat wire a bunch of times. Did you use boot rails to put the boots up? If so, I would try getting one of those stud finders that find metal studs & see if it would pick up the boot rail. I've never tried this but it seems like it might work.
    Life is like a jar of jalapenos. What you do today might burn your ass tomorrow.

If you can access one end of the pipe that's hidding run some fish tape down it and listen for it.

The other option would be crank the a/c or heat way up and use an temp gun and shoot the wall looking for the hot/cold spot.
    "If you call that hard work, a koala’s life would look heroic."

what was said already or turn on the heat or ac let it run for about half hour thrn run a infrared thernomiter along the wall til it shows the hot spots or cold ones

i had the do this once to find 8 unico outlets burried in the cieling worked like a charm

I was at a new construction job about fifteen years ago.I left 1/2 hand bent double hemmed drywall frame on everything that was to be cut around.I was lucky enough to be there when they started drywalling.The bozo's actually smashed my rings flat & covered registers instead of cutting around them.I told the drywall foreman & he oh well I guess you'll just have to find them.I came back with a 26oz.framing hammer.& I said really loud so he could hear.Well Jeff(My helper) I hope it was here or they will have to patch a hole.I took a big swing with the side of my hammer & WHOP!I busted about a four inch round hole with the side of my hammer.My helper laughed his butt off & said Boy you got lucky that time usually You miss Mark!(I knew exactly where it was we were f-ing with them)Thet guy said ok ok ok we will cut them out!!!I scared the heck out of him!Any way I would call the drywaller & tell them it is their responsibilty to cut out around registers & an add will be charged to the job if you have to do his job for him!!
    Take your time & do it right!