Thread: York vs Trane

I have to replace the 15 year old heat pump system in my house. Currently it is a 2.5 ton unit with a 10kw emergency heat coil. Seen the calculations and it shoud be between a 2.5 and 3.

I am looking at two brands and a couple installers. The installers come highly recommended. Do good work and are up to date on training. My question is I am comparing the York Latitude with the Trane XR13 and XL14i. I can get the warranty extened on the Latitude so it is like the XL14i. But in these machines what are the differences of the coils and the compressor construction. Also in our rural area we experience numerous power outages. Short less than a second to days. In the designs which one will be more forgiving mechanically and electrically.

Thanks

The Latitude is the lower end of York. Personally I'd rather have the Affinity. That one will give Trane a run for its money. The XR13 has a recip. I don't like them in a heat pump, I don't feel they heat as well in cold weather as a scroll. So, of the 3 you mention, I'd go the 14i. To get 14 SEER, you do need a variable speed indoor unit. As for standing up to electrical abuse, I don't think anything has an advantage. Can an electrician put a whole house surge arrestor on the incoming line?

Cool

Thanks BaldLoonie.

The Latitude is a 14 SEER. Noise is not an issue. Do you know if the Latitude has a scroll compressor?

On the electrical I was looking at an ICM491C line monitor. We use them at work and our motors last longer. Like we don't loose motors anymore. It has been cheap insurance.

Question a little off but applies to system replacement. The dreaded R22 vs R410a. Here is goes. Some installers indicate there are problems with leaking coils after 5 years on R410a systems. Warranty covers coil replacement but you have to pay for the R410a. Of course these guys don't install R410a systems. The few who do don't have any problems. Have coil imnproved over the past few years?

Thanks again.

Trane 1 rethan 2 weeks agow cheng 23 years old oridgenal commpresor on heat pump with 40' strat up run and andorsizde suction line.

rush1,

You need to learn how to spell. A couple of your posts now, no one can make them out.
    It isn't very professional of you, IMO.

The Latitude is a 14 SEER. Noise is not an issue. Do you know if the Latitude has a scroll compressor?
    York Latitude units up to 2.5 tons have interia (high end recip) compressors, the rest have scrolls.

http://www.yorkupg.com/PDFFiles/036-...001-B-0602.pdf

Latitude = H1RE0xxS06

You don't want an Inertia! Go for the 3 ton and scroll!!!

What's wrong with inertia compressors?

Don't compare a Latitude to a 14i.

Check into the Affinity.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

NOISY!!! We sold some Coleman stuff, they designed the Latitude stuff before York bought them. Had more trouble with the Inertia than anything else we've sold. Just don't trust that thing.