Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

30GB carrier chiller problem

I have 30GB055 carrier chiller and circuit A is running in 300 psi discharge pressure and 40 psi suction pressure and there is ice after EXV and sight glass is clear I have checked all condenser fan motor and replaced drier core and replaced compressor and cooler sensor and checked exv but still the system running in same pressure and the compressor is become overheating.
    Can any one help me and give some solution
    NOTE: the system not giving alarm

Valve doesn't appear to be feeding enough refrigerant

What's your superheat and subcooling?

the evaporator GASKET could be broken, low water flow

What temps are your compressor and cooler refrigerant sensors reading?
    UA 100

It takes three people to do anything around here. Two do the work, one explains to the crowd of people who showed up when they seen smoke and flames.

lets have the serial #, need more info but I would bet its the exv, you said you tested it, was that both ways, meaning electrical and mechanical. also what type of exv is it? the old dome or the pop can type.

Agree with Dennis. Electronic TXV just like a regular thermal one its not feeding enough. you might want to check suction pressure and temp sensors against actual readings. Sensors out a few degrees or pounds will not show bad on panel. Someone has already overcharge unit I bet your superheat is 30+ and your subcooling is also high 20+. Had a strainer feeding TXV on a 30HXC partial restricted but condition was high pressure and only at full load

Joe Harper is offline AOP Committee/Professional Member*
    Start by checking the resistance of the suction line and evap temp sensors. Pull the red connector off of the board and check where the wires stake onto the connector. Its easy to get them out with a small screwdriver and patience. If the sensors check out ok, start the chiller and let the sensors hang in the air and see if the exv will open up. Also have your gauges on the unit to verify the pressure transducers.
    If the valve opens up then you need to check the water flow. If your still frosting the exv then check of there is a strainer feeding the valve. If you get the same results, i would be inclined to dump the oil and gas, change the driers and start over. This could be a sign that the barrel(s) are starting to leak, and would be time for an eddy current test.

You might want to research it, but i think there is a way to force the exv open. Im not familiar with how to do it on this unit.

The EXV spool and sleeve tend to accumulate carbon deposition. This accumulation impedes the EXV spool movement. Purchase the exv o-ring kit and disassemble exv, clean it being very careful to not damage components. Reassemble, replace drier cores and evacuate. The true superheat using a guage for suction pressure at the compressor suction valve and an accurate thermometer at the suction line will usually be 10 degrees, the superheat from cooler to compressor sensor will read somewhere around 10 degrees more. Also be sure you don't have non-condensibles in the refrigerant circuit.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Harper View Post
    Start by checking the resistance of the suction line and evap temp sensors. Pull the red connector off of the board and check where the wires stake onto the connector. Its easy to get them out with a small screwdriver and patience. If the sensors check out ok, start the chiller and let the sensors hang in the air and see if the exv will open up. Also have your gauges on the unit to verify the pressure transducers.
    If the valve opens up then you need to check the water flow. If your still frosting the exv then check of there is a strainer feeding the valve. If you get the same results, i would be inclined to dump the oil and gas, change the driers and start over. This could be a sign that the barrel(s) are starting to leak, and would be time for an eddy current test.

You might want to research it, but i think there is a way to force the exv open. Im not familiar with how to do it on this unit.
    allready another surcuit runing fine and when the compressor in full load the discharge is 300 and suction 40 ice after exv then in unload discharg is 275 and suction 60 no ice after exv

allready another surcuit runing fine and when the compressor in full load the discharge is 300 and suction 40 ice after exv then in unload discharg is 275 and suction 60 no ice after exv

Quote Originally Posted by mustafaali View Post
    You didn't answer ANY of the questions asked. If you expect help, your going to have to answer the questions or we're not going to waste our time!!!

I AM NEW IN HVAC MAINTENANCE,COZ I AM AN INSTRUMENTATION TECH...BUT MY COLLEGUE GOES ON VACATION SO I DONT KNOW WHAT TO DO WHEN OUR CARRIER CHILLER (30GTR080).COMPRESSOR (A1)RUNNING BUT WITH SMOKE LIKE COMES OUT ON ITS TOP SIDE (WITH SOLENOID VALVE),AND ITS AMPERE READING IS FROM 46A TO 48AMP.
    WERE AFRAID OF THE SMOKE AND ITS BODY/HOUSING IS VERY HOT.HOPE YOU CAN HELP ABOUT THIS MATTER.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast