Enthalpy conversion btu/lb to kj/kg

Can someone explain the conversion of enthalpy from btu/lb to kj/kg?

Every website I search says to multiply by 2.326, but when I do some checks (using web based calculator or psychrometric charts) the results do not work.

For example;
    77F, 50%RH = 29.3 btu/lb
    25C (i.e. 77F) 50%RH= 50.29 kj/kg
    and 29.3 x 2.326 <> 50.29!

I am using an Alerton system which has an Enthalpy block which only supports F and btu/lb and I am working in SI (metric) units.

1 Btu/lb = 2.326 kJ/kg
    http://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/un..._per_unit_mass

Not sure where you're getting 50.29 from.

Information required for proper conversion is 1 calorie is heat reqquired to raise 1 gram of water by 1 Deg C and 1 BTU is amount of heat require to raie 1 LB of water by 1 deg F . 1 calorie = 4.187 Joule . 1 Deg F = (9/5 C ) + 32. All this information gives all information to think upon.

Information required for proper conversion is 1 calorie is heat reqquired to raise 1 gram of water by 1 Deg C and 1 BTU is amount of heat require to raie 1 LB of water by 1 deg F . 1 calorie = 4.187 Joule . 1 Deg F = (9/5 C ) + 32. All this information gives all information to think upon.

Quote Originally Posted by integrationx View Post
    Can someone explain the conversion of enthalpy from btu/lb to kj/kg?

Every website I search says to multiply by 2.326, but when I do some checks (using web based calculator or psychrometric charts) the results do not work.

For example;
    77F, 50%RH = 29.3 btu/lb
    and 29.3 x 2.326 <> 50.29!

I am using an Alerton system which has an Enthalpy block which only supports F and btu/lb and I am working in SI (metric) units.
    That's a good question. Luckily for me, when I've done work where they use SI, they're still OK with BTU/LB. This explains it though. "You can not convert from metric to imperial enthalpy or vice versa directly."

forget osa/ra enthalpy comparison for economizer control

small difference in rh/temp accuracy equals large energy/capacity loss

better to use dewpoint transmitter from rotronics or airtest

open economizer only if,
    osa db temp is < 72 F AND
    call for cooling is present AND
    osa dewpoint is < than 52.5 F

cheers
    lb

Actually, this question is very similar to converting temperatures between Fahrenheit and Celsius. Since they cross 0 at different temperatures, you cannot simply multiple by 9/5 and 5/9. You have to move the margin by adding/subtracting 32.
    If you examine your psych charts, you will notice that enthalpy is 0 at 0 degrees for both SI and Imperial charts. You need to add/subtract the enthalpy at 32 Deg F and 0% rh. From my ASHRAE book, this would be 7.686 BTU/lb.
    Therefore 29.3 BTU/lb = (29.3 -7.686) x 2.326 = 50.27 KJ/KG

Quote Originally Posted by integrationx View Post
    you are absolutely right, ...... and the conversion factor is correct. How come ??

In essence the enthalpy is a meaningless number. What you are interested in is what is the enthalply difference between 2 conditions

Let's take your example
    77F, 50%RH = 29.3 btu/lb
    We will plot this condition on a psychrometric chart and call it point "A"

We will heat this air to 95F (or 35C)
    On the psychrometric chart, heating is a horizontal line to the right and we will call this point "B"
    On the Imperial psychrometric chart I find that RH = 28% .... Enthalpy = 34 btu/lb
    On the Metric psychrometric chart I find that RH = 28% .... Enthalpy = 62 kj/kg

So the amount of heat required for 1 lbs of air to go from point "A" to point "B" is:
    34 btu/lb - 29.3 btu/lb = 4.7 btu/lb
    or.... 62 kj/kg - 50.29 kj/kg = 11.7 kj/kg

4.7 btu/lb * 2.326 = pretty close to 11.7 kj/kg