Wire Nut Connections for Furnaces?

What's up with certain brands of HVAC units using wire nuts to hook up to the thermostat wires instead of hooking directly to the board? The board was behind the flue/blower compartment door. Seems like a PITA design, is there any advantage to doing things this way?

yes.
    the manufacturers don't have to build a box to separate the tstat wire from the high voltage wire...
    The TRUE highest cost system is the system not installed properly...
    The three big summer hearththrobs...
    Mel Gibson
    Dwane Johnson
    The A/C repairman

Another gripe with these units is the way the panels attach. Who thought of using little plastic square "rivets" to hold the panels on? What can't they just slide up like everybody else?

Sounds like your talking about goodman? If so, here's why:

ARUF/AEPF air handlers provide a bundle to wirenut to. This is due to thermostat wire not rated to be inside the electrical enclosure of the air handler.

Now, the new AVPTC air handlers, for WHATEVER reason, thermostat wire can be ran inside the enclosure. No idea why, especially since thermostat still isn't rated to be in the same "box" (or enclosure) as high voltage. Yet, it still is.

We've been mounting a 4x4 box where the low voltage wiring on ARUF/AEPF comes out, and putting our wiring inside the box.
    "Better tell the sandman to stay away, because we're gonna be workin on this one all night."

"Dude, you need more than 2 wires to a condenser to run a 2 stage heatpump."

"Just get it done son."

Dad adjusted

At least I now know why, but it doesn't make it any less of a PITA to wire them up..

I think nordyne dos something like that.

Quote Originally Posted by 54regcab View Post
    At least I now know why, but it doesn't make it any less of a PITA to wire them up..
    Yeah, I prefer the terminals myself.
    "Better tell the sandman to stay away, because we're gonna be workin on this one all night."

"Dude, you need more than 2 wires to a condenser to run a 2 stage heatpump."

"Just get it done son."

Dad adjusted