I currenty have a Lennox regualar AC/Heat (electric) unit made 2-91. Model HS18-511-5P. The contact solenoid or switch started sticking last summer and the compressor's pressures were not correct according to the technician's. I recently picked up a nice used Ruud Zephyr 12-99 Heat Pump outside unit. Model # EPBA-049-JAS. They are both 4 ton units. I have talked recently to several local AC installers and a few said it would be possible to install this with my current A-coil. One guy said only if my A-coil had a multi-flow check valve at the coil. The others did not mention this. First is this normally at the coil or does the Reversing valve handle this? The heat pump cover says it is a 10 SEER, though the seller told me it was a 13 SEER (bummer). So any concern about my a-coil handling the load should be minimized. The a-coil removed and acid wash or whatever last season. I ordered a new heat pump digital thermostat with regular and emergency heat. I plan to use my current heater as a backup on cold days. (I live in NE TX.) Can anyone tell me if this is possible with my current a-coil and can someone tell me what my current Lennox SEER is rated at? Thanks

Originally posted by battlinbear85
    I currenty have a Lennox regualar AC/Heat (electric) unit made 2-91. Model HS18-511-5P. The contact solenoid or switch started sticking last summer and the compressor's pressures were not correct according to the technician's. I recently picked up a nice used Ruud Zephyr 12-99 Heat Pump outside unit. Model # EPBA-049-JAS. They are both 4 ton units. I have talked recently to several local AC installers and a few said it would be possible to install this with my current A-coil. One guy said only if my A-coil had a multi-flow check valve at the coil. The others did not mention this. First is this normally at the coil or does the Reversing valve handle this? The heat pump cover says it is a 10 SEER, though the seller told me it was a 13 SEER (bummer). So any concern about my a-coil handling the load should be minimized. The a-coil removed and acid wash or whatever last season. I ordered a new heat pump digital thermostat with regular and emergency heat. I plan to use my current heater as a backup on cold days. (I live in NE TX.) Can anyone tell me if this is possible with my current a-coil and can someone tell me what my current Lennox SEER is rated at? Thanks
    The only differance is that is wiring, I beleive the Rheem switches in heat mode and Lennox switches reversing valve in cooling mode.I would not assume that this would be a really good match with rheem and lennox.

Lennox HS18-511 is 47,000 btu w/9.0 S.E.E.R.
    Rheem EPBA-049 is 48,000 btu w/ 10.0 S.E.E.R.
    "Everyday above ground, is a good day".
    "But everyday that you have made a difference in someones life, may insure you stay above ground a little longer".<aircooled>

It is not worth it to properly install a used unit that has no warranty or known problems..

This is asking for trouble whether or not the coil will work correctly..

Questions to ask yourself:
    Why was the unit taken out of operation? Do you really trust the persons that sold it to you?
    Do you know for sure that the unit operated correctly and was properly uninstalled and stored?
    Are you willing to pay for a pro to install the unit and then find out that it does not operate properly and then have to have the pro install a new unit!!! This means you will pay for the installation twice...

That unit you have might be worth some scrap money to scrap it out.. Not worth the headache to put into your home..

Goodluck
    J

It is also funny how you state you bought a nice used Ruud that was made in 1999.. I have seen many nice looking units that are newer than the 6yr old ruud you bought that ended up in the scrap yard!!

[Edited by Advanced Response on 06-11-2006 at 01:30 AM]

I currenty have a Lennox regualar AC/Heat (electric) unit made 2-91. Model HS18-511-5P.

I recently picked up a nice used Ruud Zephyr 12-99 Heat Pump outside unit. Model # EPBA-049-JAS. They are both 4 ton units.

Can anyone tell me if this is possible with my current a-coil and can someone tell me what my current Lennox SEER is rated at? Thanks
    D.I.Y'er trying
    to learn the HARD Way!
    Designer Dan
    It's Not Rocket Science, But It is SCIENCE with "Some Art". ___ ___ K EEP I T S IMPLE & S INCERE

Define the Building Envelope and Perform a Detailed Load Calc: It's ALL About Windows and Make-up Air Requirements. Know Your Equipment Capabilities

If all you could afford was used POS rudd then so be it.
    What has to be looked at is the indoor metering device.
    Is it a TXV, Piston or a Cap Tube system?
    If a TXV, it must be ratred for heat pump use. Will NOT work other wise.
    If Piston, ensure it can bypass in the heat mode.
    If a Cap Tube System, then you are pretty much hosed.

1st off, compared to a new unit this was a steal. Sorry I did not make you any money. Second, my inlaws are having there house remodeled after Hurricane Rita and gave me their regular AC Heil outside unit. So if push comes to shove we can slide that rascal in there. However it is only 3.5 tons and has less coil space than my current unit. But there house is larger and it got the job done, so I know I have a working standby. And if the heat pump works I can sell the Heil.

I'll look and see if I can tell what kind of metering device I have on the Lennox. If it is a txv but not rated for a heat pump, seems like one could remove it and install one that is. Is this possible. I don't imagine my unit has a capillary tube system.

1st off, compared to a new unit this was a steal. Sorry I did not make you any money.

You're going to be making someone alot of money. Buying a 7 year old heatpump is like buying a seven year old computer....I'll bet you got it real cheap.

Second, my inlaws are having there house remodeled after Hurricane Rita and gave me their regular AC Heil outside unit. So if push comes to shove we can slide that rascal in there.

You're just a glutton for punishment. By the time you get done screwing around with that set-up, you'll have enough invested where you could have had a nice new properly matched system.Hope you have an in-expensive tech,'cause he's gonna be logging some hours in an attempt to make that work.
    If everything was always done "by the book"....the book would never change.

Let me explain what the real problems are in doing what you want to do. On a heatpump system there are two metering devices, one on the inside and one on the outside. That means that effectivly the two units do a reversal when asked for cool or heat. So when you install the unit and charge it in the summer for cooling, you may be able to charge it to cool, but when you reverse it for heating and due to the items not being a factory match, the charge will not be proper any longer. Not to mention that the old coil inside may not be able to go in to reverse mode. Yes, you may be able to install a heatpump txv device, but that doesnt guarantee that it will be a match. You need to remember that the inside coil ends up being the condenser coil in heat mode and now needs to match the outside metering device, which is now the cooling coil.

I hope you get the idea here. Its not saying that it wont work, but what effort time and money you will expand attempting it, and if it doesnt work you will have to start all over. The question now becomes what Dirty Harry asked....do you feel lucky.

Roy
    "The perfect Totalitarian State is one where the political bosses, and their army of managers, control a population of slaves, who do not have to be coerced, because they love their servitude"

Why in hell are you guys trying to explain the details of our trade to someone who has such a blatant disregard for we as professionals and the equipment we deal with?
    Government is a disease...
    ...masquerading as its own cure…
    Ecclesiastes 10:2 NIV

Even if he replaces the TXV,(if there is one), and it doesn't work, he still has his electric heat strips.

Remember to "READ" everyone. He currently has A/C with electric heat.

Originally posted by RoBoTeq
    Why in hell are you guys trying to explain the details of our trade to someone who has such a blatant disregard for we as professionals and the equipment we deal with?

The answers we give here are not only there for the poster, but also for all that come here to get an understanding of what this trade is all about. An educated customer is a better customer.

Roy

"The perfect Totalitarian State is one where the political bosses, and their army of managers, control a population of slaves, who do not have to be coerced, because they love their servitude"

Well I got home and checked my inside unit. Lennox model # CB18-51-3P. 408H Fan coil unit also listed as section of Heat Pump. It goes on to say Certified for use with split system Heat Pump Models: HP18-461v HP18-463v HP18-511v HP18-513v and HP20-461. So it sounds very promising. I was looking at the a-coil and high pressure inlet looks like it goes through a some type of brass tube. It has two fittings on either end and one fitting in the middle. It looks more like a check valve to me. Because after the 3rd fitting it goes back to the small size copper tubing. The low pressure outlet of the coil exterior has a fitting that looks like where one can hook up freon testing/adding point. Though I know this is normally done at the outside unit. So I am feeling more and more lucky and waiting on my new digital programmable heat pump thermostat, with two heat settings. Also, I don't have heat strips. Exuse my terminology, I have a standard type of blower heater that I believe is most common in the South. I have not ever opened up the upper panel. All I know is when we first crank up the heat usually late October-Nov. it has that burning dust smell. And I do respect the experts on this site or I would not post. I just like doing as much as I can myself. I dont expect to be here forever, I am a Christian and it's looking like Iran Russia and China are about to get things going. Any way, If I ever do sell and build a new house I will look seriously at a geothermal heat pump with an open system using 2-4 water wells with one 250-300 ft deep. Thanks for your help.