Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Rheem vs. Lennox

I own a 900 sq. ft. condo on Long Island, NY and am replacing a 25 yr old HVAC system (still works, however inefficiently). I have gotten estimates on 2 systems and I need advice:

Rheem
    furnace 66 KBTU 95% 2-stage w/ecm RGRM07EMAES
    A/C 2 ton 410A up to 16 SEER 14AJM-024

Lennox
    furnace 66 KBTU 95% 2-stage w/ecm EL296VH070XV36B
    A/C Merit ser. 2 ton 16 SEER 13 EER 14ACX-024-230 /12

I like both contractors. I have to say that the Lennox is significantly more expensive than the Rheem (like $)...I had asked for a comparable Lennox system...but I've heard from more than one person that Rheem is 2nd tier (of course, not from a Rheem guy).

Or, if you have advice on a better setup for me, I'm all ears.

Help! I need to make a decision & I know squat about this stuff.
    Last edited by beenthere; 04-19-2012 at 05:01 PM. Reason: price

That's an awful lot of furnace for a 900 sq ft condo. We use that size up to 2300 sq ft stand alone homes and it does fine down below zero.

Seems to me, especially if you have common walls, floor or ceiling, the RGRM-04 or similar Lennox is the way to go. Demand an accurate load calc be done or do it yourself and see just what you need. I can heat my 1000 sq ft home with high fire turned off, that's about 34,000 BTU output.

There's nothing 2nd tier about the Rheem system,.

Quote Originally Posted by ina555 View Post
    I've heard from more than one person that Rheem is 2nd tier (of course, not from a Rheem guy).
    Rheem/Ruud is not second to anyone, I would also compare warranties. If you buy the UAPM model Ruud " I sell Ruud" I guess it's RAPM for Rheem, you will see you get a 5-year complete condenser replacement if you register the system online, and a 10 year compressor warranty that is pretty standard. I don't know a lot about Lennox other than servicing, but there both good systems I would imagine. I would focus more on the quality of the installation.

That Rheem furnace is for a 4-ton system, it has a 4-ton drive, way to much heat and air "cfm's"....
    __________________________________________________ _______________________
    “Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards". - Vernon Law

"Never let success go to your head, and never let failure go to your heart". - Unknown

Ina

Pay attention to Baldie. He is spot on and a Rheem expert.

I might consider upgrading AC condenser.

Both dealers are oversizing you on furnace.

IMO

Quote Originally Posted by tigerdunes View Post
    Ina

Pay attention to Baldie. He is spot on and a Rheem expert.
    And I am a Ruud expert, difference like night and day, right?
    “Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards". - Vernon Law

"Never let success go to your head, and never let failure go to your heart". - Unknown

I thought that was day and night. ICP
    Last edited by BaldLoonie; 04-19-2012 at 08:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by BaldLoonie View Post
    I thought that was day and night. ICP1
    Yes! I was going to go back and change it, but I got lazy.

Wow! Now I have a lot more to think about!

My bottom line on the system is that I want over 92% AFUE and 15+ SEER. I'm in the northeast and although it's not new construction, I would like to be in line with any new efficiency requirements that come out in the next few years...it's a selling point, if that's what I decide to do.

I'm on the 2nd floor of a two-story building (4 units on top and 4 on bottom...all corners with 2 sides exposed) and the a/c has to work overtime on a hot day with all that heat rising.

Also, I'm tired of looking at the little scale of my energy costs (both gas & electric), where the average is the middle and my costs are all the way to the top end of the scale on the right.

As far as warranties are concerned on these systems, it looks like if you register within 60 days, Rheem is 10 years parts and compressor and heat exchanger goes to limited lifetime. Lennox goes to 10 years parts and compressor and heat exchanger is 20 years.
    Last edited by ina555; 04-19-2012 at 09:01 PM. Reason: Forgot to respond regarding warranties

Can't fathom needing more than the RGRM-04 with 900 sq ft, no floor loss and 2 sides exposed. Probably could leave high fire disconnected and still heat it

Way too much heat. Typical.

Rheem is good. Id opt for buying an extended labor warranty. It will come in handy when the txv starts failing.

I guess I'm going to be making a call tomorrow morning to discuss the recommendations.

What condenser would you recommend to go with that RGRM04? Would the 14AJM24 still work with the lower BTU furnace?

The 14AJM24 will still work with the smaller furnace.

Don't confuse the amount of money a company spends on advertising with the quality of the equipment. There is NO correlation to quality, only with actual retail cost to the end user (you, the customer). If you constantly hear and see ads pushing a certain brand, you can bet that brand will be more expensive than others. If this brand also promises a large "rebate", well get ready to help pay for your own rebate! Rheem is not a "2nd tier" brand even if the Lennox guy tells you so!!!

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast