Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question Comparible to Trane?

I'm a simple Soldier, deployed atm and wife says the CAC is going out. I know nothing of ACs. Had our service guys come out, but said it was a band-aid fix and it "might" last through the summer. It's a pair of Goodman 3 ton units installed in 2001 after replacing another pair of 3 tons made by RUUD (builder grade). They did their job, kinda (always hot in a couple of upstairs room) and I usually have to call annually for repair service for one thing or another. My worry is the things will quit in the hottest time of Atlanta summer. Wife and kids would not be happy.

So, we start getting assessments and quotes. I know I can't mention prices but I can tell you about what equipment they quoted and what they'll do:

Downstairs: TRANE 16 XLI SEER: Model #4TTX6036, 4TXCB004BC, TUD2B060A9V3
    Upstairs: TRANE 16 XLI SEER: Model #4TTX6036, 4TXCB004BC, TUD2B060A9V3
    SCOPE OF WORK: WARRANTY LIFETIME PARTS AND LABOR WITH MAINTENANCE AGREEMENT

Down Replace the complete system Clean the freon lines with RX 11 replace the thermostat with one that controls humidity in summer and has circulation fan control Add a digital programmable thermostat to the basement and add a 2 zone control system Replace the return plenum Add a return to the basement Add a supply in big room in basement. Upstairs Replace the complete system Clean the freon lines with RX 11 replace the thermostat with one that controls humidity in summer and has circulation fan control Add a supply to the master bedroom and the front bedroom and a 10" return to hall. Replace supply and return plenums Relocate ac units to under stairs off back deck Extend freon lines and electrical
    The reason I ask what is comparible to Trane, and at the risk of discussing cost is that we're talking high-teens here. ... I guess the contractor believes that enlisted Soldiers are actually camoflauged money.

So, as I understand it, my maze of duct work is unacceptable (I actually believe that), the design of supply and return are unacceptable (OK, I guess). Based on above, does that look like high-teens?

I sent the contractor my dismay at the price and he came back with another (still low teens) for:

Downstairs: TRANE 13 XR SEER: Model #4TTR3036,4TXCB036BC,TUD1B060A936
    Upstairs: TRANE 13 XR SEER: Model #4TTR3036,4TXCB004BC,TUD1B060A936
    Same scope of work.

I might have a 4figure, almost 5 type budget. I just need some advice on alternatives.

Thx y'all

understand your concern for thier comfort
    why are you replacing the furnace and not just the ac

What I was told from the contractor is that these need to be matched systems and right now they are not. It is a RUUD furnance with a Goodman "air handler/evaporator". Not really sure what that means, other than not being "matched".

Being in Hotlanta I would avoid the XL16i and go for the XR15. That will give you a comparable SEER rating and better humidity control. I would decline the zoning for the sake of your budget, thats making the biggest dent. I can't comment on the pricing because I don't know what the market is like there. I agree with TinKocker, replace the AC system only for now. If they won't do that then find another contractor.

Also mismatching of brand is irrelevant, see my signature for the explanation. Thanks for your service, sir.
    Quote Originally Posted by k-fridge View Post
    The laws of physics know no brand names.

Quote Originally Posted by SoFlaDave View Post
    Being in Hotlanta I would avoid the XL16i and go for the XR15. That will give you a comparable SEER rating and better humidity control. I would decline the zoning for the sake of your budget, thats making the biggest dent. I can't comment on the pricing because I don't know what the market is like there. I agree with TinKocker, replace the AC system only for now. If they won't do that then find another contractor.

Also mismatching of brand is irrelevant, see my signature for the explanation. Thanks for your service, sir.
    I would agree also

The brand of equipment isn't what is driving the cost up, it is the scope of the work.
    If more government is the answer, then it's a really stupid question.

Well, I guess that's a good question. I don't ever remember having a problem with our furnace ... just regular service and I'm the original and only homeowner. I just sent my wife a note to tell her to price out the XR15s + the duct/supply return work only (maybe new thermostats too, i dunno). I do remember taking a look at our ducts and taping them up because I felt air coming out of them. The basement looks ... umm... normal? It's the attic that looks like an uncontrollable maze.

TY'all for the advice. Lemme see how this plays out. All I can do is get off missions, run to the computer and see what new surprises from home.

First off I want to say "Thank You for your service."

Now there could be a couple of reason's they are suggesting to replace the furnace along with the ac, and without seeing the equipment or having more info of the existing equipment we can't say for sure. When they looked at the system did they find something wrong with the furnace's? Are they in closets where they have to pull the old ones out to install the new equipment and would be easier to replace it all instead of putting the old back in? How old are the furnaces? Do they have ecm motors in them to obtain the humidity control and the seer rating that you are going to be paying for?

I do agree with mark though it's not the equipment that is pushing the cost it is the amount of work that is needing to be preformed

The one thing I have to add is while the price may appear high to you they are doing it all. It sounds like based on what you said, some rooms were uncomfortable before, ductwork leaks, current system only lasted 10 years and needed constant repairs that the new system meets ALL of the needs you listed. This new system should last you longer( what's it worth to do this again in 15-20 years instead of 10?) The new system will be more reliable and if it isn't they will take care of it for you with that warranty. The new system address humidity issues and current hot/cold area with the zoning and new furnace motors. Could you find a cheaper quote with lesser equipment... Yes, will it be comfortable, quiet and long lasting and meet your needs? Probably not. I do agree the XR15 would probably be the best bang for the buck and maybe look at getting rid of zoning to save some $$$ and instead of replacing furnaces, maybe upgrading to evergreen ECM fan motors if the current furnaces are operable, however it is better to have matched furnaces because your furnace going bad/getting old will still leave your family hit if they break while the new AC is still running.

Thank you for your service and stay safe!
    Check out my YouTube channel - http://www.youtube.com/user/skyheating1 We have customer testimonials, product reviews and more!
    Like us on FACEBOOK if you like our advice here!

Just got this from my wife: the guy suddenly starts to turn into a jerk when my wife asks for a breakdown on what that cost will do for us. He told her the price is the price, became rude and abusive to my wife. She was so upset. I'm shocked because I've been using this company since 1995 to do my CAC work (except the Goodman stuff in 2001) and the technicians have always been top notch. Are we asking the company for too much? I mean come-on, that's kinda money deserves full disclosure.

Then to add insult to injury, the Salesguy sends an email response to my wife: "We don't sell equipment or install customer supplied equipment. Our pricing is all inclusive for I can't do one without the other."

OK, I understand customer supplied equipment, but can't do one without the other? We're getting more quotes. Thx y'all.

hatcoleman

This is the Ask Our Pro's forum. In order to post a response here, you must have verified qualifications and have been approved by the AOP Committee. You may ask a question by starting a new thread.

You can find the rules for posting and qualifications here.

Additional infractions may result in loss of posting privileges.

Your post has been deleted.

Quote Originally Posted by ImpliedConsent View Post
    "We don't sell equipment or install customer supplied equipment.
    They don't? so do this mean they only rebuild what's there?
    __________________________________________________ _______________________
    “Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards". - Vernon Law

"Never let success go to your head, and never let failure go to your heart". - Unknown

luxuryheatingco

This is the Ask Our Pro's forum. In order to post a response here, you must have verified qualifications and have been approved by the AOP Committee. You may ask a question by starting a new thread.

You can find the rules for posting and qualifications here.

Additional infractions may result in loss of posting privileges.

Your post has been deleted

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast