Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    work in the major cities and the ladder gets traded in for a frieght elevator with a stairs walk up.. that is why you travel lite and hit the passenger ones to get into the spaces for breakdowns.this pix a rare drive the van up to the roof and be in the middle of 2500 tons of TRANE rooftops..left the truck running all the time during a summer breakdown
    "when in doubt...jump it out" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U1qEZHhJubY

Quote Originally Posted by jmiles View Post
    What skills can you recommend learning to avoid having to use extension ladders and working on roofs in commercial hvac.
    Own the company and you can have your employees get on the roofs for you.

Well, I don't know about everybody else, but I use the force.

Hope that helps!
    What lies behind us and what lies before us are small matters compared to what lies within us.

Two pressures, four temperatures = SUCCESS!

Boulder Heating Contractor

For Consumers:

For HVACR Professionals:

a 5 gallon bucket is tool bag of choice working on the roofs.the easiest i did service on were the KMART stores.all had walk up stairs and just a sea of units all the same brands per store...but there had to be that one store with the ladder mounted 4" off the cinder block wall with a 40' climb up and over the hatch opening...that is a "tools in the pocket" breakdown
    "when in doubt...jump it out" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U1qEZHhJubY

Quote Originally Posted by dijit View Post
    Own the company and you can have your employees get on the roofs for you.
    Best answer prize!

I still have to go on roofs though.

Quote Originally Posted by joemach View Post
    What, and miss all the fun.

I love my ladder. I will take a ladder and a hot roof over a crawl space any day.

You just have to be smart on how to use it.
    Me too why would you want to get off the roof? Nobody else to bother you all the sunshine you can stand. Of course I have a tool shed on my roof so I don't drag my stuff up and down everyday either...

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk 2

Just get out of the bussiness if roofs are too tough for you.

Quote Originally Posted by qwerty hvac View Post
    The fun part is setting up the ladder, tying it off, climbing up and then dropping the rope to pull all of your crap up! Lol
    Learned that the "hard" way.. Since then, I'd find something to tie the end of the rope off to, on the roof.

To the OP: What's wrong with rooftops? Fresh air, sunshine, you don't have a peanut gallery looking over your shoulder.. As far as I'm concerned, I could do 100% rooftops from April to November

Quote Originally Posted by zw17 View Post
    Chillers and controls are the only two jobs that will keep you off the roof at least 75% of the time.

No one job in this trade will keep you off the roof 100% of the time.

Why are you asking?
    Even Chillers are still often cooled by cooling towers... which are frequently up on the roof. The sensors for contrals are mounted locally... usually in a airhandler, which, darn it... is on the stinking roof.

My favorite problem at our main office building is when we have a pwoer blip, we lose teh VFD on the main air handler. So you have to reset the VFD, then run up to the roof and reset the static pressure switch (sicne the command was for 60HZ and it can't catch itself), then run back down and reset the VFD again. Yes.. I know I know it needs some reprogramming but the Tracer Summit guys.

Quote Originally Posted by Maineiac View Post
    Not to be rude but in commercial hvac your gonna have to climb a ladder and lug 1/2 of your van on the roof from time to time.
    ...and you will always, ALWAYS, ALWAYS hafta climb back down at least one time to get one more tool...
    (The wise men of modern thought) adore a god made of putty or of wax - plastic, effeminate, molluscous, with no masculine faculty about him, and no quality that entitles him to the respect of just and honest men, for a being who cannot be angry at wrongdoing is destitute of one of the essential virtues, and a moral Ruler who is not angry with the wicked, and who refuses to punish crime, is not divine. ---Spurgeon

Quote Originally Posted by Six View Post
    How do you tell your employer you're too good for roof tops?
    I don't know, but we've got one guy that apparently has it figured out. Any time he has to do something involving a roof, another tech gets sent to help. I HATE extension ladders, but I suck it up and get the job done.

Tell your boss it's to windy to put up your extension ladder!

Quote Originally Posted by coolperfect View Post
    Tell your boss it's to windy to put up your extension ladder!
    Done that many times. Had a few ladders blow over on me.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    Join http://scopeny.org/ Shooter’s Committee on Political Education

The world is full of sheep,try not to join the flock.

Support the Skilled Trades, Don't DIY

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast