+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Union VS Non-Union?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by zw17 View Post
    Guess what bud, you aren't going to get a free ride in life. If you work hard and go to school you will advance.

You don't wind up with a beautiful red headed wife, $40k SUV in the driveway, steaks on the table, and a nice farm house in the country on some land by sitting around playing video games and "wanting your freedom".

Sounds like it's time to kick your ass out of neutral and do something with yourself.
    EXACTLY!! It's not a job, it's a career...
    Don't worry zombies are looking for brains, you're safe...

Post Likes
    Great posts guys, thanks so much.

I guess i need to grow up. I really enjoyed learning HVAC in highschool, but if you don't get more freedom, i may have to reconsider. Of course there's always the weekends, but i like to come home and have time to eat, and relax with some T.V., a book, or some video games, you know. I suppose as long as i have an hour or two it shall suffice until i get to the weekend.. IDK, going to have to really think about this.

Post Likes
    Life turns into a whole lot more "needs" than "wants"

Your freedom will come after your done with your education, raising kids, the house is paid off, the vehicles are paid off, and you have some money in the bank...

Until then you will be working your ass off to get there...

That is, if you want to be successful?
    UA LU189

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by ThePipeMan
    I guess i need to grow up.
    Therein is the crux of your situation. I got my first job in the A/C business when I was 23 years old. We worked OT almost every day. In fact, 50-60 hour weeks were the norm. I stayed with that company for five years and by the time I moved on I had two kids. I learned how to work and to take pride in my work at an early age. For some reason I think a strong work ethic has been lost on the younger generations.

But ultimately it's up to you to choose your path in life. Nobody made me do what I did. I did it because I wanted to do my best...for my family, for my company and for me. I have no regrets. I have done things and worked places few others have. There are a couple of things I might have done differently, but in the grand scheme of things I am extremely satisfied with the career path I CHOSE.

Post Likes
    One more question.. . Can you opt out hours in the union, once you are 45ish, or in your 50's? What i mean is, can you cut your hours down to 40 or so when you get to be in your 45/50's?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by ThePipeMan View Post
    I'm sorry if this topic is redundant, but i still haven't come to a conclusion on which side of the fence would be better..

A couple questions i have.

- Do you feel the long drives to work in a union job are worth it? Me, i like to play video games when good ones come out + i like to have a life after work period. How much time do you usually have after work, before you go to bed?

- I've heard conflicting story's about who makes more money.. I guess, you make commission and something else as a non union tech + you get vacation time, i believe.

- Last question, i got a DWAI when i was 17 for driving and while under the influence of marijuana. I'm not sure if this was sealed or not. I don't think it was, but, would this prohibit me from getting either job?

Thank you very much, .

All i can say, If you

Post Likes
    One more question.. . Can you opt out hours in the union, once you are 45ish, or in your 50's? What i mean is, can you cut your hours down to 40 or so when you get to be in your 45/50's?
    I can tell by your posts that you aren't going to cut it in this trade.

Please forget about joining a union shop, we already have enough lazy slackers that want to go home and play video games and don't care about OT, project deadlines, and craftsmanship. We don't need anymore.

K?Thanx.
    UA LU189

Post Likes
    I'm just trying to weigh out my options. I'm looking for a great career, but still want my freedom, you know. It's hard to find anything that pays a decent amount without having a college education. I'm not really the type to go to school. I ****ed off my entire school career until about 10th and 11th grade, when history ****ed with my mind. I tried college and it just seems like to much work to catch up to where all the rest of the kids are, that actually took school seriously.
    It sounds to me that you have the wrong impression when it comes to this trade, there is a hell of a lot to learn in order to become good, a good work ethic and the desire to learn and focus are essential. I would suggest another trade a little less demanding because hvac is not one of them, all around.

Post Likes
    Tough crowd. I will add that I'd probably be tougher in person. But I don't know you and you don't know me. In a union job you have to work a specified number of hours annually to secure your pension credit for that year. In our local I believe that number is 1260 hours. In my last union position I cut down to 30 hours a week so that I would be able to cover my pension credit hours.

I was 61 when I did that. IMO you hustle like hell when you're young and learn as much as you can and become an EXPERT at what you do. Forge relationships with customers. Then when you reach your fifties you'll be in a position where companies will pay you for what and who you know. HVAC is no different than any other business in that sense. If you are a really good mechanic who can be trusted, people will follow you wherever you go. If you're a so-so mechanic who puts himself first and asks "What's in it for me?" you won't get to enjoy much as you put on the years. In fact, you may not last long at any one place to forge the relationships.

Post Likes
    If you were to draw a line from Detroit, through Buffalo, Rochester, then over to Syracuse... There is absolutely no work and I was politically connected. I could have had a very cushy job at Kodak working for a very established union contractor. Kodak is now half the size it was 10yrs ago and a fraction of what it was 30yrs ago. I highly doubt that job position would still be around so I consider my decision to flee that state when I did a great one.

I bailed out of western NY 8yrs ago and don't plan on looking back.

Except for this weekend when I go back for a funeral.
    you have absolutely no idea what you taking about, in our local out of 1200 members including plumbers and pipefitters we only have 7 guys seating on the bench, if you are half way decent you can pretty much write your own ticket, there is plenty of work around here.
    My employer just hired 4 new guys and placed an add in the paper looking for 2 more cause they dont like whats left on the bench.

Post Likes

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by dlove View Post
    All i can say, If you
    I agree.

Post Likes
    How old is the OP? Sounds young.
    What job do you have right now?
    I STARTED WITH NOTHING, AND I STILL HAVE MOST OF IT!

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by valdelocc View Post
    you have absolutely no idea what you taking about, in our local out of 1200 members including plumbers and pipefitters we only have 7 guys seating on the bench, if you are half way decent you can pretty much write your own ticket, there is plenty of work around here.
    My employer just hired 4 new guys and placed an add in the paper looking for 2 more cause they dont like whats left on the bench.
    I totally agree. Been working steady with ot since I left the local. Making more money also. But it is also spring so locals will be running dry. Let know how many are on the bench come fall.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    Join http://scopeny.org/ Shooter’s Committee on Political Education

The world is full of sheep,try not to join the flock.

Support the Skilled Trades, Don't DIY

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by valdelocc View Post
    What local?
    UA LU189

Post Likes
    What local?
    He's from 13 out of Rochester.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by qwerty hvac View Post
    He's from 13 out of Rochester.

I am glad to hear those guys are doing good. I know things were not so well when I left the area.

So who is supporting the work? Not a whole lot of new contraction, all the major industry is drying up.
    UA LU189

Post Likes
    I am glad to hear those guys are doing good. I know things were not so well when I left the area.

So who is supporting the work? Not a whole lot of new contraction, all the major industry is drying up.
    Industry isn't the only game here. Plenty of commercial work to go around.

Post Likes
    hey kid, try the u.f.c.w. union or the teamsters. i been in both. They both kinda suck.

But on the good side, lots of people seem to smoke dope in both so once you make it through your first preemployment drug screening you might not have to worry about the side habits again. Fit right in. They all play video games too and screw off.

Post Likes
    Interesting read
    Since I'm working 600 hrs a week right now, I'm looking forward to cutting back to 40 or so when I'm 50ish
    Officially, Down for the count

YOU HAVE TO GET OFF YOUR ASS TO GET ON YOUR FEET

I know enough to know, I don't know enough
    Why is it that those who complain the most contribute the least?
    MONEY CAN'T BUY HAPPINESS. POVERTY CAN'T BUY ANYTHING

Post Likes
    With a bad additude .... whats it matter

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in