Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast
Results 40 to 52 of 129
  1. #40
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Posts
    4,970
    With a bad additude .... whats it matter

  2. #41
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Saint Petersburg, FL
    Posts
    139
    Quote Originally Posted by ThePipeMan View Post
    One more question.. . Can you opt out hours in the union, once you are 45ish, or in your 50's? What i mean is, can you cut your hours down to 40 or so when you get to be in your 45/50's?
    I wish I worked with you, I'd take your hours

  3. #42
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Saint Petersburg, FL
    Posts
    139
    Quote Originally Posted by zw17 View Post
    I can tell by your posts that you aren't going to cut it in this trade.

    Please forget about joining a union shop, we already have enough lazy slackers that want to go home and play video games and don't care about OT, project deadlines, and craftsmanship. We don't need anymore.

    K?Thanx.
    As direct as he is, he is right

  4. #43
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    6
    Quote Originally Posted by zw17 View Post
    I can tell by your posts that you aren't going to cut it in this trade.

    Please forget about joining a union shop, we already have enough lazy slackers that want to go home and play video games and don't care about OT, project deadlines, and craftsmanship. We don't need anymore.

    K?Thanx.

    He's kind of being a d*ck about it. But he's right. You're looking for an easy job where you can be lazy. This is a hard trade. You have to keep learning from the day you start until the day you retire. Everyday you learn something new. And if any tech tells you he knows everything he's lying or stupid.

    Go to a mall and work at a clothing shop. That sound more up your alley if your main concern is having enough time off to play video games.

  5. #44
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    East of Lyndon's
    Posts
    525
    Quote Originally Posted by elran View Post
    He's kind of being a d*ck about it. But he's right. You're looking for an easy job where you can be lazy. This is a hard trade. You have to keep learning from the day you start until the day you retire. Everyday you learn something new. And if any tech tells you he knows everything he's lying or stupid.

    Go to a mall and work at a clothing shop. That sound more up your alley if your main concern is having enough time off to play video games.
    One good thing about the competitive job market. Lots of jobs in our local advertiser but all of them asking for skills of some sort or another. I could recommend you getting a job as a greeter at Wal Mart but it seems that even a number of them are older people. A lot of places where you would start out are looking for more than someone with a pulse. The first thing you have to do, is show up for work on time and show up every day. A little headache or something of the sort is not considered sick in the real world. IF you're lucky enough to get in the trades, you need to go in with the attitude that you know NOTHING. The more experienced guys will be glad to give you advice if you ask, and by doing that, you will save your self a lot of problems by not making the same mistakes that they made!!
    You'll probably get home so tired out that playing a video game will be the last thing on your mind. There, now I can get off my soapbox!
    If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.

  6. #45
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Columbus Ohio
    Posts
    2,014
    Quote Originally Posted by elran View Post
    He's kind of being a d*ck about it. But he's right. You're looking for an easy job where you can be lazy. This is a hard trade. You have to keep learning from the day you start until the day you retire. Everyday you learn something new. And if any tech tells you he knows everything he's lying or stupid.

    Go to a mall and work at a clothing shop. That sound more up your alley if your main concern is having enough time off to play video games.
    I am being a dick about it and for good reason. I go to school twice a week for continuing education, take all the tests and get all the certs I can to further my career. I want to be remembered as someone that gave their all in this trade, I strive to be the best at what I do and I want to better this trade as a whole.

    The largest problem I see, and I see it A LOT, is hacks. We all need to step it up a notch to make this industry look better and make up for the guys that want to go home after 8hrs to get high and play video games.

    For the record... I was that guy at the beginning of my career, so I have zero compassion for them now, if I can better myself so can they.
    UA LU189

    10mm, because it's better than .45acp

  7. #46
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    1,173
    Quote Originally Posted by zw17
    For the record... I was that guy at the beginning of my career, so I have zero compassion for them now, if I can better myself so can they.
    I find this statement interesting. You were that guy and yet you have no compassion for that guy to get started and maybe become a top notch mechanic. If there had been a forum like this when you were first starting out and you were basically told "Stay the hell away, we don't need no slackers." would you have stepped into the trade?

    Pointing out the fact that it takes hard work, dedication and a willingness to continually evolve and learn is important and it has been done on this thread. Let the OP decide for himself if he's got what it takes.

    I commend your dedication to the trade. I'd rather see the pillars of the trade encourage young men to "step up their game" and get into the trade. Be honest and describe the challenges and also describe the rewards.

    I got into the A/C business because I couldn't find a job for the life of me. And you know what the deciding factor was? I wore a jacket and tie to the interview. The guy who hired me said if I were serious enough to wear a jacket and tie to an interview for a $2.50/hr. job he knew I would take the job seriously. That was in November of 1972.

  8. #47
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    6
    Quote Originally Posted by KnewYork View Post
    I got into the A/C business because I couldn't find a job for the life of me. And you know what the deciding factor was? I wore a jacket and tie to the interview. The guy who hired me said if I were serious enough to wear a jacket and tie to an interview for a $2.50/hr. job he knew I would take the job seriously. That was in November of 1972.
    I hope it was 1972. Otherwise some serious labour laws have been broken

  9. #48
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Columbus Ohio
    Posts
    2,014
    Quote Originally Posted by KnewYork View Post
    I find this statement interesting. You were that guy and yet you have no compassion for that guy to get started and maybe become a top notch mechanic. If there had been a forum like this when you were first starting out and you were basically told "Stay the hell away, we don't need no slackers." would you have stepped into the trade?
    I had zero business being in the trade. I didn't deserve the job I had and I was a complete loser. In fact I dropped out of a good union apprenticeship program and went to non union residential.

    It took a few years to grow up, become a man, quit drugs, and now I am making up for that lost time with a vengeance, graduated a union apprentice program, taking extra classes, becoming a EMT, etc...

    Sometimes it takes someone to tell you that you're a loser to realize your a loser.
    UA LU189

    10mm, because it's better than .45acp

  10. #49
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    158
    Quote Originally Posted by zw17 View Post
    I had zero business being in the trade. I didn't deserve the job I had and I was a complete loser. In fact I dropped out of a good union apprenticeship program and went to non union residential.

    It took a few years to grow up, become a man, quit drugs, and now I am making up for that lost time with a vengeance, graduated a union apprentice program, taking extra classes, becoming a EMT, etc...

    Sometimes it takes someone to tell you that you're a loser to realize your a loser.
    lol. age and priorities. you cant shine **** but sometimes when the **** grows up, gets some more responsibilities and some mouths to feed they stop being **** and step up to the plate. Course other times, well the **** just stays ****.

  11. #50
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    23
    I've been trying to go union for about a year now, maybe the company I work for just sucks but the grass must be a little bit greener?

  12. #51
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    East coast USA
    Posts
    973
    Quote Originally Posted by ThePipeMan View Post
    I'm just trying to weigh out my options. I'm looking for a great career, but still want my freedom, you know. It's hard to find anything that pays a decent amount without having a college education. I'm not really the type to go to school. I ****ed off my entire school career until about 10th and 11th grade, when history ****ed with my mind. I tried college and it just seems like to much work to catch up to where all the rest of the kids are, that actually took school seriously.
    looking back to the 70's through the 80's and early 90's i would disagree. a Blue collar trade was in high demand in most places. late 90s to 2005 the trades took a hit. But today i see a trend in the need for more skilled trades. people are realizing you can't fix your AC with a computer. With all that said, IMO a union that has good training and good reps is far better than the private sector overall. (if you can handle the politics) not to say there are exceptions. But remember if it wasn't for the unions the private sector wages would be less. The unions have always set the standards. That's a fact!

  13. #52
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    1,173
    Quote Originally Posted by bribrius
    you cant shine **** but sometimes when the **** grows up, gets some more responsibilities and some mouths to feed they stop being **** and step up to the plate. Course other times, well the **** just stays ****.
    Maybe if you could make your point without the use of four letter words we'd all understand what you are trying to convey. Even when substituting a word that begins with "S" and ends with "T" your statement doesn't make a whole lot of sense, so maybe I'm wrong.

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Comfortech Show Promo Image

Related Forums

Plumbing Talks | Contractor Magazine
Forums | Electrical Construction & Maintenance (EC&M) Magazine
Comfortech365 Virtual Event