Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: First Bacnet

first thing I did was change the drive program to accept fieldbus and a little orange led on the drive blinks says " fieldbus ready for action " but the other led blinks green says " message from master missing " so not sure if its a setting in the router or the drive, also noticed on the router the MSTP communication lights are chattering alot so it seems they are talkin together

That "chatter" on the router simply means it's on & polling. If you pull the comm wires off of it you will see the same chatter. Thats how you know its a BACnet master.

Your observation proves the router is booted & polling but it does not answer the question of "is it communicating with any other devices?" To answer that, either look at the comms and see definitively or at the very least pull the comm wires from one of the units and see if its tx & rx lights stay blinking before and after you remove them.

Considering the message you posted above suggesting they are not yet commissioned I'm guessing they will fail that last test.

Well the VFD's are running a couple AHU's so I just have them on hand mode for now until I get them tested and mapped but I only have that router hooked up to 1 VFD only so it should see it no matter what I thought , but the sniffer programs aren't picking it up. The router says it can be connected 2wire or 3wire and the drive is 2wire only so they should be compatible.

"Message from master missing" is the key to this. Hopefully someone can explain that term to us.

Blinking slow
    (once/5 secs)
    Module is in FAULT state.
    ● No messages from Master within the watchdog time
    ● Bus broken, cable loose or Master off line

I think you problem is between the master and the router, not the router and the drive. But just a guess.

The terminology being used makes me think that the VFD is configured as a slave. You can still discover slaves on a network, but only by polling their addresses directly. They won't respond to your scanning tool's "Who-is" command because they are not in the token ring.

Some routers act as a "proxy slave" which will actually answer the who-is and display the slaves to the OWS as regular controllers. I personally only have seen this on one manufacturers controllers and have used MSTP slave devices with this system and they appear not only on their software but also other BACnet software. Turn it off and controller to controller communications still is active but the devices are not displayed.

kontrol out
    "Open is as open does." - Forrest Gump
    "Can't we all just get a Lon?" - Garry Jack
    "BACnet: integration or interrogation?" - The Janitor
    "Open protocols? You can't handle open protocols!" - Nathan R. Jessup
    “What’s that? Aaa… open protocols? Don’t talk about…. open protocols? Are you kidding me? Open protocols? I just hope we can hardwire an interface!” - Jim Mora http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U7fjDS0jKiE

By BASRT-B I assume you mean the Contemporary Controls BAS Router (BASRT-B).

Here are some things to check.
    1.) On the MS/TP connector is an SC pin. As the router uses isolated communications, it is very important to connect this pin to the RS-485 transceiver reference used by all MS/TP devices. With most 2-wire devices this pin will need to be connected to earth ground (check the manual of your MS/TP devices). With 3-wire devices you connect all RS-485 reference signals together. If you look at pages 8 and 9 of the manual (http://www.ccontrols.com.cn/pdf/TD0712000I2.pdf) you can see how SC is recommended to be connected. If SC is left unconnected you will most likely not have proper communications with MS/TP devices unless you have a single device with a very short cable, however, for reliable operation it is recommended that the SC pin is connected properly, as per the manual.
    2.) Make sure the MS/TP network number and the BACnet/IP network number (and the Ethernet network number) are all different. Use 0 for the Ethernet network number.
    3.) Make sure you use the correct baud rate and a max master setting that is equal to or higher than the highest MS/TP MAC address being used (the default 127 will work in all situations). Also make sure that the router's MAC address does not conflict with the MAC addresses of the other devices.
    4.) Client programs such as BDT should be able to discover your JCI devices, unless they are slave devices, once the items above are setup properly. If you could provide part numbers for these devices this can be checked. Some JCI devices we have worked with do not appear to support routing. Again the part number of the JCI devices will help us determine if these devices support routing, or contact your JCI dealer.
    5.) In reviewing the 1616 manual I don't see any mention that this device can act as a client on the network. The client will ask servers for their status, server devices, generally, only reply. You may need a client device to read the point status from the JCI devices and write this to the 1616 board.

Looking at the manual it is a 2 wire device and appears to be a slave device. Manual doesn't clearly state that but there is a slave address config that needs to be edited.

http://www.echelmeier.com/skin1/Docu...ard_BACnet.pdf

Budlight-Electric,

First off, you are really lucky - because you have some of the best of the best helping you out on this thread. Most of theme have all helped me at one time or another with this type of stuff and I have used both of these products (the Eaton/JCI VFD's and the CC Routers (Life savers) )

Anyhow with all of that being said, let's start with the basics:

The option board thing is a little confusing with respect to Master versus Slave settings. So you definitely need to confirm this before going any further.

Also, I'm not so sure you needed to do anything with the fieldbus option. I say this because generally the fiedbus should be set up to already communicate with the JCI card. I am only saying this because of my experience with some Yaskawa VFD's where I was about to do the same thing to, only to discover it was all set up at the factory.

Also, do you have a simple USB to RS-485 converter or serial to RS-485 converter, so that you can connect directly to one of the VFD's? I know the purpose of the CC router is to allow you to do that, but right now I think you need to take this down to an ultra-basic level.

Do you have some software that you have absolute faith in for reading the MSTP side through one of these converters? I know that when I have discussed this issue with kontrolphreak or Bennet, I have tested everything in advance with my USB to 485 converter and my KMC brand software. If can't see it with that first, then I know I have a problem, so I don't bother going any further until I have confirmed this.

Have you observed polarity on the cards? I'm sure you you know this but just checking. Terminal 3 is negative and terminal 4 is positive.

Also, I would take everything off the MSTP network and just try and work with one VFD first. If you can get that far, then you'll be off to the races.

Now, on page 5 of the option board manual it gives you some info on the lights. You might want to check this also.

Also look on Page 3-1 of the options manual and make sure of the following:

Set the MAC ID - set it to say 5

Set the Index (we call this the device instance and they must all be unique - no duplicates anywhere on the system - set it to 105

Set the baud rate to the correct rate.

Turn off all the power to the VFD and wait for the display to go blank and then turn on again.

Tray and scan directly through your PC. If you are using the converters like I talked about, then you may need to confirm the USB comm port for your software. This is usually found in Control Panel/Device Manger in Ports/USB.

If you have a way, PM me or email me.

I really appreciate all the help guys, I looked at our drives model # VS100520C and in the programming there is no place to set it as master or slave. I assumed it was a master because the mac id doesn't go over 127 but it would make sense that it is a slave because on the BACnet discovery tool only comes up with the router instance.

Send me a way to reach you either by phone or email. My email is in my profile.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast