Trane air handler - meaning of red leds

Before the 6 month service check for our new system I noticed that the red led was flashing. When I mentioned this to the service tech he said that this could mean anything and after his inspection stated our unit was fine.About 2 weeks later the unit stopped cooling. When I checked it none of the leds were flashing as if the unit had no power. I reset the breakers and still nothing. About 4 hours later the unit strated running again.

Tech came out today and after several hours stated that we had a bad heat package. I noticed that he had checked heat relay stuck open under the EH Red Led section of the manual.

Coming from an IT background I've always worked under the premise that green is good and red is bad. Does this hold true for Trane units? If so shouldn't he known this and determined the cause during the 6 month inspection? Was there a chance of fire from the stuck heat realy?

I feel like we have an issue with the tech not performing a proper inspection and ignoring the red led. Am I correct? I don't want to complain to the owner if it isn't warranted. You feedback and expertise is greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Air handler model : TAM7A0A24 w/ BAYEVAC10LG1AA heat strips
    Last edited by PapaBliss; 04-17-2012 at 10:39 PM. Reason: added model information

Quote Originally Posted by PapaBliss View Post
    Before the 6 month service check for our new system I noticed that the red led was flashing. When I mentioned this to the service tech he said that this could mean anything and after his inspection stated our unit was fine.About 2 weeks later the unit stopped cooling. When I checked it none of the leds were flashing as if the unit had no power. I reset the breakers and still nothing. About 4 hours later the unit strated running again.

Tech came out today and after several hours stated that we had a bad heat package. I noticed that he had checked heat relay stuck open under the EH Red Led section of the manual.

Coming from an IT background I've always worked under the premise that green is good and red is bad. Does this hold true for Trane units? If so shouldn't he known this and determined the cause during the 6 month inspection? Was there a chance of fire from the stuck heat realy?

I feel like we have an issue with the tech not performing a proper inspection and ignoring the red led. Am I correct? I don't want to complain to the owner if it isn't warranted. You feedback and expertise is greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Air handler model : TAM7A0A24 w/ BAYEVAC10LG1AA heat strips
    Red doesn't mean bad.
    Green doesn't mean good.

All they do is flash codes.

Unfortunetly, the hvac industry just hasn't gotten to that point in making it easy for tech's yet.
    "Better tell the sandman to stay away, because we're gonna be workin on this one all night."

"Dude, you need more than 2 wires to a condenser to run a 2 stage heatpump."

"Just get it done son."

Dad adjusted

mad8, this is the Ask Our Pro's forum, and only Pro members that have been vetted by the AOPC may post advise here. Please apply to the AOPC today, thank you.

You can find the rules for posting and qualifications here.

Further infractions may result in loss of posting privileges.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

mad8 Yes, start a new thread. And please read the AOP posting rules, thank you.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?