NAE integration with Tridium

I have a customer with a lot of NAE's and an ADX Server. At some point, they may want to switch their service company. Is it possible to integrate the NAE's into a Tridium server directly. I do not believe they speak BACnet IP, but a proprietary JCI language on the TCP/IP network, but am not sure. Has ayone tried to do this?

You are correct. The NAEs talk using SOAP connections to the ADX. Depending on how many NAEs you have you can change the site to output BACnet points that can be integrated to Tridium. However I believe that you have to have a site director to maintain the BACnet site. Also the points come using some random point numbering system. It can be quite a pain to due a complete integration. It is possible though and I work at a place where it is done in several building.

There are a ton of ex-JCI guys that can service JCI products. I doubt that you would have much issue with finding people to service what you have currently.

Does each NAE have to be setup differently to output in BACnet/IP ? Is it something fairly easy to do or does the NAE have to be totally reconfigured? That would actually be like using the older N30's, which output in BACnet IP. They also have around 30 NAEs and an NIE integrating some NCM-350s. I'm just looking for the cleanest alternative possible. I don't even mind keeping the ADX, if it could easily integrate the FX20/60/70 into the network. From what I understand, that doesn't make ssense when you have a lot of points. Thanks for the reply.

Although it is a bit time consuming, integrating an ADS and NAE's into Niagara is gravy work.

All you have to do is go back into the ADS, NAE's and all the devices and set them up with device instances. That is the time consuming part. Then you reconfigure the entire site as a Bacnet site. After that, you should have no problem pulling the JCI data into your Niagara via Bacnet IP. I've done it as a demo with very little Niagara experience with a full ADS site and workbench running a station on my PC.

Quote Originally Posted by DST-Tech View Post
    Does each NAE have to be setup differently to output in BACnet/IP ? Is it something fairly easy to do or does the NAE have to be totally reconfigured? That would actually be like using the older N30's, which output in BACnet IP. They also have around 30 NAEs and an NIE integrating some NCM-350s. I'm just looking for the cleanest alternative possible. I don't even mind keeping the ADX, if it could easily integrate the FX20/60/70 into the network. From what I understand, that doesn't make ssense when you have a lot of points. Thanks for the reply.

I do believe that you will have to upload the NAE's and NIE into SCT to be able to assign them a device instance. It's been a few months since I set mine up, but even just setting up the ADS as a bacnet site, you should be able to pull the data from all the NAE's through the ADS. I would still do all the NAE's to make it clean and then you wouldn't have to depend on the ADS to handle all the Bacnet IP data.

In that type of setup, would you leave the ADX in place? How many points did you attempt to pull into Niagara? Will the Niagara 500 point license limitations now come into play? I looked at integrating a customer with 11 N30s to an FX Server using BACnet IP, roughly 10 thousand points. I asked JCI whether it made sense to buy the 500 point licenses or to replace the N30s. They recommended replacing the N30s. They said that configuring and mapping the new BACnet points would be a nightmare. I have no experience with the NAEs, so I am at a loss. Thanks.

I've only done it in my office as a demo setup, so I don't have that many points. But of course JCI would recommend replacing the N30's as it equates into selling parts.

To be honest, my only experience with the N30 is pulling them and replacing them with NAE's. But from what I've read, they are capable of Bacnet IP, so if they are configured properly with device instances, I don't see how it would be all that difficult to bring them into an FX server. Plus with JCI's appliance it should be pretty easy to set up if you pull the configuration files out of your field devices and use the JCI import manager to set up your field devices.

On your points, I would seriously consider how many of those 10,000 points you really need on your server. While it is always nice and simple to just map all the points in to save some time, you don't always need half the points that are in VAV's, RTU's, etc. Something to think about.