Filter drier
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Filter drier

Confused Filter drier

I'm sure this has been posted before, but I was curious. What is the main reason the supplier wants you to install a filter drier inside next to the evap coil. Icp zip ties the drier on the condenser outside next to the valves, this seems backwards to me? Why wouldn't they put the drier with the indoor coil? Can't you install the drier next to which ever coil you want but still have the flow going the correct way, and have it still work properly?

I am a Comfortmaker dealer myself and I read somewhere that it eliminates noise reduction. I normally install it outside by condenser only few times I installed near evaporator coil. I haven't had any problems and inspectors never say anything either about them.

I am a Armstrong Air dealer as well and they have it installed already for you in the condenser and it is a pain in the butt if you have to replace it. So far though I have not had to replace one on my Armstrong Air. I prefer to install filter drier myself external of the condenser.

Another reason why they would want you to put it next to the evaporator is that there are potentially less brazes between the filter and the evaporators metering device. They probably started putting filters with condensers to protect the condenser, but then again it also prevents clogged metering devices. I like to put them on the outside. They don't stink up the house that way.

Installed just before the coil and txv will catch any copper filings,solder or any debree so it does not get stuck in the txv hence the word filter in filter drier. If installed out by the condenser at start up of new system anything in the pipe from the condenser side of the drier will go through the compressor and txv before it gets filtered.
    If it aint broke don't fix it!!!

The best place for the drier is just before the metering device.

Yes, the drier will function at any point in the liquid line, and in case you are wondering why they come with the condenser, it's to let you know to use it.

The manufactures who have them already installed have done so b/c the vast majority of installers would just leave them out of the system entirely.

The filter serves two functions. The first is to remove debris, and the other is to remove moisture. The moisture is what the condenser manufactures are concerned about. Moisture leads to acid, and acid leads to compressor failure.

In case you all did not know, any warranty of compressors beyond the first year is paid for by the condenser manufacture, and that's why they provide driers, to avoid as many warranty claims as possible.

The reason for placing the LL drier next to the indoor evaporator as opposed to the outdoor condenser is to gain greater moisture removal and retention. Driers are much more efficient when placed at a cooler ambient. When placed outdoors the drier will release some of the captured moisture [dehydrate] at high ambient.

Quote Originally Posted by johnpast View Post
    The reason for placing the LL drier next to the indoor evaporator as opposed to the outdoor condenser is to gain greater moisture removal and retention. Driers are much more efficient when placed at a cooler ambient. When placed outdoors the drier will release some of the captured moisture [dehydrate] at high ambient.
    So do you insulate the driers you put outside the cabinet in the attic?? I gets 30-50 degrees hotter up their than outside at the condenser.
    You're only as good as your customer will allow you to be.........If they want junk, sell them junk, but make your junk look neat!!!

The coolest location is best.

On a new installation I don't even use a filter drier. But I purge with nitrogen while soldering, ream all connections, and keep tubing clean. This along with a good vacuum, why is it necessary? Just some added pressure drop in my opinion.
    II Chronicles 7:14 Galatians 2:20 Ephesians 2:8-9

The reason for always installing a LL drier is well documented. It is your cheapest protection from debris and moisture degradation. You need to stop metal wear from blocking the expansion devise. Even the cleanest of installs will not stop wear or internal deterioration. Even though you practice good evacuation technique, the oil and refrigerant that was charged into the system will have moisture and maybe a lot more moisture than is acceptable, especially in the oil.

Most of my work over the years has been service oriented. I have done installs with the school system where I was employed but they were mostly done several years ago before all the refrigerant changes, so most of my experience with installs was on R22 systems and is what my install brain is geared toward thinking of. I agree they should be used on 410a units. I like living in the past sometimes. Life was much simpler then.
    II Chronicles 7:14 Galatians 2:20 Ephesians 2:8-9

Another benefit to putting it inside is rust protection. They rust out and leak very quickly here. Rusted leaking filter drier is a nice service call but I still opt to install them inside on a new install.
    www.mcleanair.com

"It was working until it quit."

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast