Carrier CCN Pilot/ Comm Issues

I have a system pilot on a job that keeps coming unattached from the 6400 controller. It also just lost some of its configuration parameters. I was told that it could be interference/noise on the Comm. I was wondering what kind of things can be done to the CCN bus to prevent these problems? Should there be termination resistors somewhere on this network? Does Carrier have a RS-485 surge supressor available?

Thanks for the help.
    J. King

if you come unattached can you reattach. You don't need the pilot for the system to work. Is your bus shielded. how old is the pilot. and when you say it lost some of its configuration parameters what do you mean?

Quote Originally Posted by dlove View Post
    if you come unattached can you reattach. You don't need the pilot for the system to work. Is your bus shielded. how old is the pilot. and when you say it lost some of its configuration parameters what do you mean?
    It lost all of the element addressing, remote attach option went to no, the comm type went to local, etc. Basically it seems as if the controller went back to its default values as if it was brand new.

Usually when it came unattached, I could always reattach, but when it lost the config. I couldn't reattach due to the remote attach going to NO... I know the pilot isn't needed, but I have this anal customer that if things aren't in perfect working order they go crazy. I believe the bus is shielded, but I am going back in a few days to evaluate everything as far as the network goes.
    J. King

What is the software version of the pilot? The current version is v2.0, may need to update the pilot.

Not sure the revision fixes as they started with v1.0, then v1.1, v1.2 and now v2.0. Before you waste time and money I would start with updating the software.

Have you done a bus scan yet? What is your Avg/Peak bus load? Getting any Collisions, Bad CRC's or No Responses?

Not saying you may not need an RS-485 surge protector, in all the years I have been doing CCN I have never had to add one to resolve a device/comm issue.
    Quote Originally Posted by Qui-Gon Jinn (Star Wars Episode 1)
    "The ablilty to speak does not make you intelligent!"

Quote Originally Posted by Balibe View Post
    What is the software version of the pilot? The current version is v2.0, may need to update the pilot.

Not sure the revision fixes as they started with v1.0, then v1.1, v1.2 and now v2.0. Before you waste time and money I would start with updating the software.

Have you done a bus scan yet? What is your Avg/Peak bus load? Getting any Collisions, Bad CRC's or No Responses?

Not saying you may not need an RS-485 surge protector, in all the years I have been doing CCN I have never had to add one to resolve a device/comm issue.
    Thanks Balibe

The version of pilot that I am running is v 1.1. I purchased a new pilot with v 2.0 for this job as a precaution. I have not used the bus analyzer yet, but I will do that when I go out there today. I will evaluate the entire installation today, and see if everything is as per Carrier. The only reason I wanted to ask about the surge protector was because a guy I talked to from Carrier told me he has added them to networks, and that might be something I wanted to consider. He really didn't give me much information about the recommended protector if one was to be used.

Thanks again!
    J. King

Check grounding sheild, should be only groϋnded on one end of bus.Pillot power needs to be on seperate transformer.24volts should not be grounded.Carrier does have a ccn bus troubleshooting guide.

Thanks, There is a newer release 3.0.But I only have it on paper.It Called carrier comfort network bus set-up and troubleshooting guilde.Maybe someone has pdf.