Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 13 of 17
  1. #1

    BRYANT or TRANE?

    Hello. I am trying to make a decision, and I could use some objective advice. I am looking at 2 AC units for my home.

    Option 1: Trane XB-300-030, 21/2 ton central air conditioner, 13 seer.
    10 year compressor warranty, 5 year parts warranty, 1 year free service.

    Option 2: Bryant 113 ANA030, 2.5 tons, 13 - 14 seer.
    10 year parts, labor and compressor warranty.

    According to Consumer Reports, the Bryant has slightly fewer problems than the Trane but I can find a lot of info on the internet about the Trane but nothing really on the Bryant. I thought I would come to the PROS!

    Thank you!!

  2. #2
    Join Date
    May 2000
    Location
    Indianapolis, IN, USA
    Posts
    33,907
    Dealers being equal I think I'd go the Bryant route. The XB300 is a real cheapo. Our supplier sent them back for rework due to noise. They use a Chinese microchannel outdoor coil, no louvered cabinet that has been GE/Trane's hallmark for decades. Same compressors but no rotolocks to attach them, another hallmark. Might ask the dealer about stepping up to the XB13, much nicer unit.

    The Bryant 113A is comparable to the basic Carrier. No frills but personally I'd suggest it over the XB300. Sounds like the Bryant dealer is including a 10 year labor warranty. Good idea, ask if it is his coverage or Bryant's.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    North Richland Hills, Texas
    Posts
    14,914
    To be honest, we are an American Standard dealer but do not offer the XB300 product ever. If I need a smaller footprint unit for an application, I go to another brand.

    The XB300 may be just fine, but it is manufactured for AS/Trane by Danfoss in China, and uses a Danfoss compressor that I believe is also made in China.

    The XB300 also has an unusual charging procedure that is very critical to get right.
    If more government is the answer, then it's a really stupid question.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    4,614
    The xb300 is a piece of crap

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    4,614
    If your looking at a budget unit the xb13 or xb14 is a good unit

  6. #6
    Join Date
    May 2000
    Location
    Indianapolis, IN, USA
    Posts
    33,907
    The XB300 uses Climatuff compressors, just no rotolocks.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    West Monroe, LA
    Posts
    1,529
    Quote Originally Posted by mark beiser View Post
    To be honest, we are an American Standard dealer but do not offer the XB300 product ever. If I need a smaller footprint unit for an application, I go to another brand.

    The XB300 may be just fine, but it is manufactured for AS/Trane by Danfoss in China, and uses a Danfoss compressor that I believe is also made in China.

    The XB300 also has an unusual charging procedure that is very critical to get right.
    Agreed!!! I have never sold a xb300 for many reasons. The main 3 are charging this unit is harder due to set up, the looks and sound don't reflect train to me, and for a little, I mean little amount of $ you can get a XB13 model. The XB 13 is a proving unit.

    You might ask Trane Dealer to quote a XB 13 with 10 year labor warranty. If you have the unit matched with a Trane furnace/coil or air handler you would get 10 year parts, coil and compressor warranty.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    North Richland Hills, Texas
    Posts
    14,914
    Quote Originally Posted by BaldLoonie View Post
    The XB300 uses Climatuff compressors, just no rotolocks.
    Trane calls the compressors in all of their residential units "Climatuff" compressors, regardless if it is one of the recip compressors they manufacture themselves, a Copeland scroll with orange paint, or a Danfoss scroll with orange paint.
    If more government is the answer, then it's a really stupid question.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    May 2000
    Location
    Indianapolis, IN, USA
    Posts
    33,907
    True, but we were told by our very knowledgable tech rep that the comps in the XB300/7M were the same as used elsewhere, just no rotolocks. The big old recip is used in smaller sizes, just like with XB/XR.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Portland OR
    Posts
    1,942
    As a Trane dealer I also only offer the xb300 in extreme circumstances, plus the Bryant has abetted warranty. But most importantly which contractor do you trust most?
    Check out my YouTube channel - http://www.youtube.com/user/skyheating1 We have customer testimonials, product reviews and more!
    Like us on FACEBOOK if you like our advice here!

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    North Richland Hills, Texas
    Posts
    14,914
    Quote Originally Posted by BaldLoonie View Post
    True, but we were told by our very knowledgable tech rep that the comps in the XB300/7M were the same as used elsewhere, just no rotolocks. The big old recip is used in smaller sizes, just like with XB/XR.
    When they first came out I was told by a questionably knowledgeable tech rep that they would all have Danfoss scrolls, but looking at the specs it seems they use a recip for the 1.5 through 3 ton units, and a scroll for the 3.5 through 5 ton units, so my info was definitely bad.

    I'll have to take a look down in one sometime to see if they are using their ginormous recips, or something else.
    If more government is the answer, then it's a really stupid question.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    May 2000
    Location
    Indianapolis, IN, USA
    Posts
    33,907
    COMPRESSOR; RECIP, DP25A-AA1-LB, 2.1 TON, 200-230/60/1, R410A, BRAZED-STUB TUBE

    That DP25 etc. part # looks like a Climatuff recip part #. Just no rotolock. Picture in webcats shows the big old monster, not your usual tin can like a Copeland or Bristol.

  13. #13

    Talking

    Hope I reply to this correctly. Thank you for your response. Sorry it took so long to reply. Couldn't find my ID and password. I will ask about stepping up. And the Bryant guy said it was a manufacturer warranty.

    Quote Originally Posted by BaldLoonie View Post
    Dealers being equal I think I'd go the Bryant route. The XB300 is a real cheapo. Our supplier sent them back for rework due to noise. They use a Chinese microchannel outdoor coil, no louvered cabinet that has been GE/Trane's hallmark for decades. Same compressors but no rotolocks to attach them, another hallmark. Might ask the dealer about stepping up to the XB13, much nicer unit.

    The Bryant 113A is comparable to the basic Carrier. No frills but personally I'd suggest it over the XB300. Sounds like the Bryant dealer is including a 10 year labor warranty. Good idea, ask if it is his coverage or Bryant's.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Comfortech Show Promo Image

Related Forums

Plumbing Talks | Contractor Magazine
Forums | Electrical Construction & Maintenance (EC&M) Magazine
Comfortech365 Virtual Event