Confused LOCAL 250 QUESTIONS...

Ok i just signed up for the apprentice program with local 250 pipefitters. i will be taking the basic math test next month. Is the test really hard? what kind of math questions will be on the test? Im really determined to join the union.

I was in that union. Stick with the program and you will never regret it. Get e basic math b ook with mult. sub. fractions and very basic algebra and you should be okay hopefully it would be a refresher for you. good luck

Basic math good luck

If they have a "study guide", I would suggest getting it. Not because the test will be hard, but to prepare yourself for the different questions that may be on the test.

Most likely, you will be expected to do basic math (add, subtract, multiply, divide) using whole numbers, decimals, fractions and mixed numbers (whole number + fraction).

There may be questions hinting at basic algebra- the level of Pythagoreans Theorem (A^2 + B^2 = C^2).

You may also have other questions geared towards mechanical comprehension, reading comprehension and three dimentional spatial recognition.

Many questions pertaining to mechanical comprehension and 3 dimensional spatial recognition can be asked using simple picture references, not big fancy words.

The test will be geared towards a high school graduate (public education, not private) or GED equivalent.

just took the test yesterdsy.i feel i did ok. hope i get a call back for the interview. i really want to join. i was thinking if i should apply to the other locals as well.

Did you get in the service program or plumbing/pipefitting program?
    UA LU189

10mm, because it's better than .45acp

Quote Originally Posted by ec562 View Post
    just took the test yesterdsy.i feel i did ok. hope i get a call back for the interview. i really want to join. i was thinking if i should apply to the other locals as well.
    Regarding the interview: make sure that you do an internet search for "interview questions" and study up. When they ask you to "tell me a little about yourself", they do NOT want your life story.

Applying to other locals can't hurt.

Having friends and relatives in the local is more important than passing the test, I know guys that flunked the test and got in anyways.

You can't be serious... a "good old boys" club?

just an update. unfortunately i did not pass the exam and im to blame for. i already signed up to retest. i already signed up for 3 other locals but they are not doing testing til the fall. one of the locals told me there is a waiting list but that i can probably work as a pre apprentice and it might be easier to get in that way. I was just cuurious if i should work as a pre-apprentice and maybe someone can sponsor me. and i was wondering if working as a pre-app is temporary work or a real full time job. im thinking of doing it since it pays better than my job and i can learn in the mean time while i wait to take my test for the other unions in the fall.i just dont want to work temporary i want full time work. one last thing should i look into other unions like ibew etc??

Re: Pre Apprentice.

One of the locals in my area allows employers to have pre-apprentices as long as the employee has passed the entrance test.

Here is the rub: there are no rules at that local to force the employer to actually put you into the program as an apprentice, except for a time limit of 2 test cycles which can be 18 months depending on how things work out.

As I understand it, if you quit or get laid off, the time period can start over.

Yes, I have heard of 2+ year "pre-apprentices".

I do not know if they ever changed the language in that part of the contract. And there were shops that bent the rules to their advantage for cheap labor.

If you do this, I suggest making sure that you know how the pre-apprentice thing works wherever you have tested.

Some places may allow sponsorship, where you have a job at a signatory contractor before you are officially in the apprentice program. In this case, at least at one local, you can't become an apprentice until you pass the entrance exam with a good enough score. I bet there is a time limit to prevent contractors from maintaining perpetual sponsors that can't get into the program/pass the test.

You really need to make sure that you understand how these "back door" processes work, and I really don't know if anyone will tell you the full truth. You would need to see the language in writing.

Whether or not you get in, keep in mind that employment conditions in your area may not allow full time work.

One question you need to ask when you call around has 3 parts: (1) How many active members are in the local and (2) How many are sitting on the bench (3) of those, how many are preapprentices and apprentices. This is information they should give you.

Many, but not all, unions have very high unemployment. The IBEW, carpenters and sheet metal would be VERY poor career choices in my area at this time. The laborers, on the other hand, may be OK if you like road work here... if you can get in

Sometimes, whether or not you are working within a union has nothing to do with how good you are at your job.