HRV Bathroom & Kitchen On Demand Buttons

I currently have a Vanee HRV that needs to be replaced. I have "on demand" buttons in the bathrooms and kitchen, but have been told that they aren't necessary anymore as today's more efficient HRV's run constantly on a programmed schedule that would control low, medium and high speed.

What surprises me is that I would think you would want to have the ability to go into HIGH at time when someone is cooking in the kitchen, showering in a bathroom or using the toilet in a bathroom.

Does anyone have any comments?

HRVs should NEVER be used for exhaust fans in bathrooms or kitchens! That is not what they are made for, and only idiot architects and builders install them that way. HRV and ERV are for exchanging stale air from the space with fresh air from outside. Exhaust fans are for removing foul or hot air. Do not mix the two as neither will do the other one's job adequately.
    Your best bet is to remove the old ducting and tie the new HRV into the central air.
    Then add good quality bathroom fans and a good kitchen exhaust hood. You will not believe the difference!
    I r the king of the world!...or at least I get to stand on the roof and look down on the rest of yall

My house is an R2000 home built in 1989 and has no kitchen or bathroom exhaust fan. It was my understanding that HRV was used to supliment air flow as R2000 home are built so air tight and also that HRV was used instead of exhaust fans to maintain the air tightness of the home.

Quote Originally Posted by Wheelbaron View Post
    HRVs should NEVER be used for exhaust fans in bathrooms or kitchens! That is not what they are made for, and only idiot architects and builders install them that way. HRV and ERV are for exchanging stale air from the space with fresh air from outside. Exhaust fans are for removing foul or hot air. Do not mix the two as neither will do the other one's job adequately.
    Your best bet is to remove the old ducting and tie the new HRV into the central air.
    Then add good quality bathroom fans and a good kitchen exhaust hood. You will not believe the difference!

This is the work of ignorant engineers that don't know beans about the way things work. As you can tell this is not my first encounter with this "design". If you were to measure the actual CFM of exhaust that you are getting you will be surprised at how poor a job the HRV does as a "exhaust fan"
    I r the king of the world!...or at least I get to stand on the roof and look down on the rest of yall