NC wage for entry tech
    I live in nc and graduating hvac training in college been doing since 2000 have done commercial some refigeration lately been working with the res thing what the rate for entry lvl tech in nc at today. thanks

Depends on what part of the state I believe. Here in Cumberland County green help off the street start at about $8, with tech school and some exp behind them about $12.

Depends on where in NC you are. Green @ 8 bucks but depends you should be able to get 10 to start this time of the year and then you can prove yourself with a good work ethic and move on up.Let me know where your looking maybe I can help I know of a few folks here looking for a hard worker

Don't take this the wrong way but...

wages in this field are low everywhere...you can ask most everyone and probably 90% will give you a figure in the avg. teens for a wage.

There are places in the country where wages are high but I think that the average wage would be in the mid teens and feel comfortable stating that.

Part of the problem with new techs is that they are told by the instructors to expect wages in the 20's when they graduate and it just wont happen! I recently talked to a new graduate at a store in the checkout line...he said he was looking for a job now and that he shouldn't have a hard time finding one since it was summer. I told him that he could get a job right now installing at about any company he chose to apply to; this would give him the required time to "prove himself" and show what kind of worker he was.

He said:

I am not going to install, I'm a service tech! I can't work for those wages.

I asked him what he expected to make right out of school and he said $16. I think I pissed him off when I laughed in his face. I told him if he got $10 he better run all the way to the bank on paydays! Around here in SW. MO. wages are topping at $14 and those are techs with 20yrs exp! The only way to make money here is to work for a flatrate company.

I asked him where he came up with that figure and he said the instructor told them that was a "do-able" wage, I told him he was lied to unless he wanted to relocate to the coasts.

just had to tell this story.

Citywide.

"I don't care what you could get it off the net for, they wont warranty it and neither will I"!

And if you don't like my "flat rate up front pricing" try and negotiate the price on that big mac you just bought pricing is exactly the same method!

Whoa, I thought Florida wages were low. That really sucks. Right out of apprenticeship program I was making 13-14 per and after 2 years I was up to 16 doing only residential work. I was a 2 trade tech though, that may have made a difference (appliance and a/c) but I don't think so. One of the older techs (20 years experience) was in the low 20's per. I guess I don't have it so bad after all.

i too have two trades, infact 3 appainces, reseidential, commercial kithen, and im in at 18, but the real money is in the refigrtion, and of course side jobs, but thats a later when u feel comfterable and not taking jobs from u r company

Smile

To citywide

laughing my ass off! 16 dollar out of tech school with no experience is do able? that is so ridiculous hes ****ing dreaming.

I wish i could get 16 out of a residential hvac company.
    last few companys i worked for paid me 12 hr for residential pm work.
    I stared out doing commercial pm work at like 7hr for my dad 8) i moved up pretty fast with him he had me doing lots of repairs. And in fla the heat humidity is definally on.

I m in a diploma program in triad area im going day and night to school bout 22 hour a week, i had to turn down a 12.50 hr job
    kind of boring being with all newbs but im learning some heat load stuff. school end july 26 cant wait get back trade

to workhorse

yeah 13-14 sounds pretty good. i miss the beach im from miami.

i know according to un employment secuirity the entry level hvac merchanic rate is 13.50 regular like 15hr

to cooltech

yeah man nc companys wages seem low. guy in my class works for ccac greensboro make about 8hr he greenlee.
    ive been doing this stuff since 2000 off and on my dads a contractor small commercial service company. i grew up in the trade 8 or 10 seems like an insult. all how u sell yourself
    i guess. cost living is so cheap here too

Originally posted by actionsteve
    to cooltech

yeah man nc companys wages seem low. guy in my class works for ccac greensboro make about 8hr he greenlee.
    ive been doing this stuff since 2000 off and on my dads a contractor small commercial service company. i grew up in the trade 8 or 10 seems like an insult. all how u sell yourself
    i guess. cost living is so cheap here too
    I guess you're right. The area and how you sell yourself. If the company can get it you should be able to. Naples is full of million $$ homes and multi systems. The owners are here 6-8 months a year and do mind spending the money. The company usually can pass this on to the tech.

Even if the cost of living is lower in NC, there is no way I could work for 8 per.

Shane

TO COOLTECH

TO COOL TECH
    IM IN TRIAD AREA IDK IF U KNOW ANYONE HERE MY EMAIL ACTIONAIR27@YAHOO.COM IM SEEKING EMPLOYMENT THANKS

Hello actionsteve,

How much experience do you have our company is hiring RDU area. http://www.commech.com

Regards Patrick