Thread: new meter

so i lost my best friend. i was working on a rooftop. my meter fell out of my tool bucket, slid down the roof, under the safety rail and 85 feet down. it was all most suicidal. rest in pieces little buddy. so i go in to johnstone to get a new one and UEI doesn't make it any more ( dl250) so i got my first fieldpiece (hs-35). so far its been good ( only 2 days old) i like some of the features like the magnet on the back. what do you guys think of these?

all i know is i love my uei phenox2 up until about 2 months ago i used fluke but now they just sit in the van

I almost always use my fieldpiece (mine is the 36 model, but not much different than the 35). I've always had good luck with it and it's stood up to some minor abuse.

I love that magnetic strap on the back, that thing is my best friend lol.

Battery life seems a bit on the low side, but since I've never used any other kinds of meters (other than a super cheap sears one at home occasionally) it's probably not all that bad.
    "If you call that hard work, a koala’s life would look heroic."

I've always been a field piece user myself. I had to break down and buy a new meter a couple of months ago and unfortuneatly I bought an UEI. In using it the past couple months I am ready to go back and get me a fieldpiece. The meter I bought only reads voltage when it wants to, haven't got it to read microfarads yet, but I do like the magnetic clip on the back.

i'd take it back and get a sc77. comes with true rms, backlight and no need to change leads when going from amps to voltage.

that uei has a 10 second delay before it displays mfd's

feildpiece...!

i LOVE my meter!

it is the hs36, true rms, blue backlight, magnet backed strap...
    it does temps, mfds, amps, all that jazz. it has helped me NUMEROUS times along the way, i love the detachable "remote lead" amprobe feature, as well as the other heads you can buy for it.

enough about that, it's a good meter, regardless of the countless people that will come in here with their fluke bibles pounding!

got a fluke stick meter that i carry in my tool pouch for everyday use,...also got the fieldpiece 35,but my mfds. quit working on it...anybody know if you can get these worked on?

got a complete array of field piece heads, 35 and 36 meters and electri=onic handle, have 1 minor prob and johnstone got it fixed for me, my fluke is getting dusty

My first "REAL METER" Fieldpiece 117a so for so good.

I am a Fluke man.....they hardly ever break. I had one recently break( 45 foot drop...woops). 175 dollars later I get it back as new. They even clean the yellow protective boot. Fluke for life.

Question

For $175.00 wouldn't it had been as economical to just but a new meter?

Originally posted by highsmith16
    For $175.00 wouldn't it had been as economical to just but a new meter?
    Depends on the meter. If the flat rate repair price is $170 on a Fluke meter, it is a good bet it was a meter that goes for >$300 retail.

My Fluke 337 and 52II both cost >$175 retail.

I paid substantially less than retail for both of mine because I got them as upgrades for older meters I sent in for repair that were unrepairable.

If you send in an old Fluke for repair, and they can't repair it, they cut you a SWEET deal for an upgrade to a current product with similar features.
    Got one of my 52II thermometers for $130 as an upgrade from a 9 year old 52D, the 52II is $216 retail. Got my 337 for $180 as an upgrade from my 11ish year old Fluke 32. I could have gotten a 335 for $80 instead of the 337. The Fluke 337 retail list is $340, the 335 is $209.
    If more government is the answer, then it's a really stupid question.

so i have had my fieldpiece for a month and a half and so far i have grown to like it. i got the amp head with the meter, I'm looking in to getting some others what do you guys use more than others and what should i stay away from?