Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Likes

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Iceman_pdx View Post
    hijacked

Post Likes
    Thanks Elfshadow I appreciate your help. Will install a check valve in new unit.

Post Likes

Loud Scroll is Dying Scroll

Scroll Compressors get noisy when the scrolls turn backwards at shutdown due to reexpansion of the gas through the scroll - not good. They are noisy at startup becasue they are designed to operate well at a relatively narrow range of operating pressure and outside this as with transients at startup the scrolls are unstable and there is metal on metal contact - again not good. Scrolls, while more volumetrically efficient than recips, have much more losses in friction than recips - and once again not good. Recips are used in the tough applications like refrigeration becasue they are very robust and quiet over a very wide range of pressure ratios...go with the recips.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by nehpse View Post
    ya, I just pulled a Bryant 5-ton, builders model, 8 years old its for a function hall it died friday, and fuction was sat. and sun. I had to drive thru downtown Boston 1-1/2 up, 1-1/2 back, didnt get paid for that, compressor on Bryant shorted, fried breaker too, and bus on panel that breaker snaps on fried I didnt know this until I went to sart uniy (but compressor was shorted to ground, took off comp. terms. puyt meter on, and touch suction and liq. line beeeeeeeeeeeeeep! So I installed and when new unit a Carrier 10seer builders model, started my god! the thing was rocking and rolling the noise was unreal, the maintenance guy that watfch over me that day said about noise (but old one was scroll too) not as noisy, but noisy enough. And the heat pump was all coil, had 4-maintenance gus at complex lift it over bushes and bent coil in alittle, Iam sticking back to Trane christ, with the Trane you can relly man handle them with out distorting the coil.
    Oops this is 11 years old

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk
    Last edited by trippintl0; 04-21-2017 at 11:16 PM. Reason: I'm the jackass and arrogant while drunk, sorry

Post Likes

7. Likes jrbenny liked this post
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by mark 11 View Post
    I had a customer that had me replace his 4 ton scroll
    compressor with a piston pump just cause he did not
    like the sound of scrolls, he paid full compressor
    install price and i found a new home for his new
    4 ton scroll, that noise sounded good to me$$$$$$$$
    One of my professors in the Tech Class I took for HVAC/r had to do the same thing....

Post Likes
    That's a good explanation. Next time customer complained i will let him know if he want upgrade.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12