scroll compressor noises
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

scroll compressor noises

what is the explanation of the abnormal noise from scroll compressors at the start and stop?(I had a customer that asked me that and I had to only say `indication of an internal compressor problem`)

a lot of scrolls are noisy starting and stopping. i call it nature of the beast. as long as its quiet when running and it pumps good i don't worry about it.

Ditto

I had a customer that had me replace his 4 ton scroll
    compressor with a piston pump just cause he did not
    like the sound of scrolls, he paid full compressor
    install price and i found a new home for his new
    4 ton scroll, that noise sounded good to me$$$$$$$$

ya, I just pulled a Bryant 5-ton, builders model, 8 years old its for a function hall it died friday, and fuction was sat. and sun. I had to drive thru downtown Boston 1-1/2 up, 1-1/2 back, didnt get paid for that, compressor on Bryant shorted, fried breaker too, and bus on panel that breaker snaps on fried I didnt know this until I went to sart uniy (but compressor was shorted to ground, took off comp. terms. puyt meter on, and touch suction and liq. line beeeeeeeeeeeeeep! So I installed and when new unit a Carrier 10seer builders model, started my god! the thing was rocking and rolling the noise was unreal, the maintenance guy that watfch over me that day said about noise (but old one was scroll too) not as noisy, but noisy enough. And the heat pump was all coil, had 4-maintenance gus at complex lift it over bushes and bent coil in alittle, Iam sticking back to Trane christ, with the Trane you can relly man handle them with out distorting the coil.

OEM insulation blanket............

If it's noisy on start up it usually means it is pumping liquid. On shut down the scroll can reverse for a few seconds until the pressures equalize. Anything longer than about 2-3 seconds may need a check valve in the discharge line.The shut down noise will not cause a problem other than an annoyance. The noise on start up( if liquid) needs to be checked. May need a crankcase heater.

Noise on start would usually be caused by liquid.This can be sometimes solved with a liquid line sol. valve wired in parralel with cooling call and mounted at evap..Some scrolls have a loud sqealing noise at shut down and this the internal check valve bypassing internally.This can be considered a compressor failure.
    Sound installation practices is the key to success. Equipment is only as good as the person installing it.

If I can't fix it, it ain't broke.

Originally posted by tom huett
    Noise on start would usually be caused by liquid.This can be sometimes solved with a liquid line sol. valve wired in parralel with cooling call and mounted at evap..Some scrolls have a loud sqealing noise at shut down and this the internal check valve bypassing internally.This can be considered a compressor failure.
    The loud squeling noise is NOT the internal bypass. It is hot gas feeding back through the discharge flapper valve. It is not a failed comp. and can also be rectified by installing the discharge check valve.

Gentleman, the post im looking for im hoping a discharge valve will fix my problem. Noist scroll, like a grinding on startup and shut down. HP located next to patio door first thought was liquid, damn no power coming out of Amana circuit board for crankcase when units off, replaced board, damn board still doesnt send power from board. Amana circuit board defect. I tried wiring it to line compressor was off when i came back. Calling amana today about board issues. Question this scroll makes noise on startup and shut down, so dont thnk noise on shut down will go away with crankcase. I looked at another unit that say, damn scroll makes same noise. Discharge chexk valve? Will txv or metering device affect off cycle pressures? Silenoid valve on liquid line outside or at coil? I can replace whole unit and send it back but dont wanna install same problem

410 or 22? I've heard some 410 scrolls that make me nervous on startup, but smooth out once running. 22's always seem a little quieter....maybe it's just me?

Quote Originally Posted by 71CHOPS View Post
    410 or 22? I've heard some 410 scrolls that make me nervous on startup, but smooth out once running. 22's always seem a little quieter....maybe it's just me?

I asked this question to a engineer that came to our factory from Emerson. His explanation was that if it sounds like gears grinding then it was the internal discharge check valve sticking open causing the the scrolls to move backwards and the actual noise is the two scrolls slapping together. He did not seem to think it would cause a failure of the compressor though. If the noise is that big of an issue then a discharge check valve "should" help. Mind you this was asked about some bigger commercial set ups, but a scroll is a scroll for the most part. Oh the reason he said this was happening with the 410a systems was the higher discharge pressures. This is part of the reason my shop installs discharge check valves when the customers request a unit that automatically pumps down when the circuit turns off.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast