Central Air Con without Returns?

Hi

I have purchased an older home that has gas forced air heating. Unfortunately there is no air returns in the house, but it does have ducts in each room (its a two storey 2300 square foot home)

I was wondering what options i have for central air conditioning if any? Do i need to install air returns? a new furnace?

Thank you for any help you can provide!

J.

Has to be some way the air is getting back to the furnace.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

SORRY! let me clarify! It was a one storey, and they added another level, but didnt put a air return on the second floor...there is only one on the main floor.

Is there a close that can be used to run a return upstairs.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

+1 look for a closet or common wall above where the downstairs return is located.

Ultimately you'll need to get some pro's to come in an evaluate it and make recommendations. Hard to do that on the internet. Some thing you have to see first hand.

The existing return is enough

unless you are having a temp problem on the 2nd floor
    If you are you should know temp problem on the second floor are first a supply air problem which may be helped (not solved) by extending the return to the 2nd floor
    You have got to learn from other people's mistakes! Because God knows you don't live long enough to make them all yourself !!!!!!!!

Hey

Thanks for all the responses. Basically the return is in fact right on the main floor near a closet. The only problem is i have just renovated the whole house, including flooring, and am not willing to re-renovate to accommodate another air return on my second level.

Having said that, i know one response said that the air return on the main level was sufficient, would it be stupid to just install the central air with one air return vent on the main floor?