+ Reply to Thread

Thread: distributor leaks

Post Likes

distributor leaks

It seems that as of late everytime I come to a heatcraft unit and find a low charge I always go to the evap and it's the distributor. I said most, not all of the time.

Here is the question,,, how many techs out there attempt to repair them? I haven't replaced one yet, have always made the repair. Today was the worst one ever, took me about five or six tries. Usually I get it on the first try, worst case scenario two tries.

I actually got slightly angry on this one and had to take a smoke break.

I have heard from others that work primarly in residential that if the dist is leaking the customer gets a new evap PERIOD.

I have also spoken to other guys that do refrigeration that they won't touch it just for the fact that they use a B tank and it's about impossible to do without oxy acetylene.

Your thoughts on this subject?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by vzenuh View Post
    It seems that as of late everytime I come to a heatcraft unit and find a low charge I always go to the evap and it's the distributor. I said most, not all of the time.

Here is the question,,, how many techs out there attempt to repair them? I haven't replaced one yet, have always made the repair. Today was the worst one ever, took me about five or six tries. Usually I get it on the first try, worst case scenario two tries.

I actually got slightly angry on this one and had to take a smoke break.

I have heard from others that work primarly in residential that if the dist is leaking the customer gets a new evap PERIOD.

Don't get me started on residential guys and their "replace everything because I'm on commission attitude.

Get your torch out and FIX the thing. Any dumb wrench monkey can swap out an evap. It takes a degree of skill to repair a problem like that.

I have also spoken to other guys that do refrigeration that they won't touch it just for the fact that they use a B tank and it's about impossible to do without oxy acetylene.

Your thoughts on this subject?
    Again, don't get me started. If you have a tool that is not capable of doing the job, then GET RID OF THE TOOL! If I had a wrench that wouldn't turn a fitting or a bolt then I'd throw it away.

If your B tank turbo torch doesn't do a good and proper job of heating the materials to allow you to solder or braze them.....

OK, I'll step down off of my soapbox, now.

Post Likes
    I'll have to agree with JP on this one.....

Get the right tools or get a better mechanic...

Post Likes
    I will always try and repair and have never used anything other the O&A. If I can't repair I have even bypassed that pass.
    Politicians need to be changed like diapers, and for the same reason.
    Mark Twain

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by jpsmith1cm View Post
    Don't get me started on residential guys and their "replace everything because I'm on commission attitude.

Get your torch out and FIX the thing. Any dumb wrench monkey can swap out an evap. It takes a degree of skill to repair a problem like that.

Again, don't get me started. If you have a tool that is not capable of doing the job, then GET RID OF THE TOOL! If I had a wrench that wouldn't turn a fitting or a bolt then I'd throw it away.

If your B tank turbo torch doesn't do a good and proper job of heating the materials to allow you to solder or braze them.....

OK, I'll step down off of my soapbox, now.

LOL, The first job that I came across and my B tank wouldn't cut it (company provided), I called my supervisor and told him that I needed to run to the supply house and pick me up an oxyacete setup. It wasn't cheap but I haven't looked back. The only thing I did do, was take the company provided B tank setup and drop it off at the shop.

The only tool on my truck that is company provided is the recovery machine and tanks. Everything else is mine. I figure that if I plan on doing this for a living I might as well invest in my own tools.

Post Likes
    I figure that if I plan on doing this for a living I might as well invest in my own tools.
    Wise man, invest in yourself, invest in your future. Word of wise, make sure the company you work for has insurance that will cover the cost of stolen tools, should the unthinkable occur. ( Speaking from experience here.)
    Mark Twain

Post Likes
    it will depend on the age and condition of the evap and the housing.. some you run into look like if you breath on it wrong it will fall apart. I will always recommend replacing it, factor in the time to.

pump down unit
    Carefully take out old evap.
    Fix leak, and leak check.
    Reinstalled a old evap with a repair

or

pump down unit
    yank that &itch out
    install in txv etc.
    put it in and roll
    You can't kiss death without it kissing you back. Death is a passionate kisser.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by marter View Post
    it will depend on the age and condition of the evap and the housing.
    Good point, I too factor that in.
    Mark Twain

Post Likes

The only tool on my truck that is company provided is the recovery machine and tanks. Everything else is mine. I figure that if I plan on doing this for a living I might as well invest in my own tools.

I second that. I own all my stuff, minus the recovery machine and tanks. Anyone selling an apion twin with a couple tanks?

I can fix stuff and do, I get no credit from my shop. We have these lame meetings about our top techs. well the ones that sell the sole off the customer's shoes. It really is sad that this business is all about the numbers.

OP, my buddy just had to sweat 8 distributor's off a big york commercial coil and solder them back onto the new evaps his shop ordered without replacement distributors. the bid didn't have the $$ in it at $1200 each. How bout them numbers?

Post Likes
    ive repaired them ive found it easier to put some brazing paste/flux over the distributor/shower head where all the distribution tubes come out then put brazing rod over the whole area around all the tubes. in my experience if you fix one you weaken the other then maybe a month later your back for another leak.

Post Likes
    Probably not too common these days, but I've seen a few applications where the distrubutor tubes were soft soldered into the distributor body.

Needless to say, if this is the case....when attempting to repair a leak where you think the tubes are silver soldered into distributor body, the rapid melting/run-off of soft solder after applying the oxy-aceteline torch is a little disconcerting.

Post Likes
    Who in the F uses a B tank?

And replaces an entire evap coil when the distributor is leaking?

Resi world is wacky!

Post Likes
    lol, you guys are great,,,, I tend to use two types of gas,,, either mapp, or oxyacet. Many times mapp works great, and when it doesn't oxyacete works wonders.

Post Likes
    I try fixing them all the time with good success. One trick ive learned when you can't get the 45% to stick good...come over the top of the 45% with 15% silfos works every time good luck.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in