Thread: New Member

Post Likes

Hello,

I am new I had just applied to a union local 787. I just had the aptitude test, and have my interview next week. I am looking to start a new career in the field. I am changing gears a bit as I was trying to get in to law inforcement but that has phase has passed. Ill Let you guys know how it goes. If it doesnt go well I am regestered with an hvac school as a back up (hi-mark school)
    any advice would be great !
    Quick reply to this message Reply  

Post Likes
    Welcome to the site! I got kin in law enforcement........., some prison in Florida!
    The union will get you great training. Try to keep a good attitude tho! While you are here, stop in and see Robotec. You can trust him..............
    Solarmike is from your country. Have you met HIM?.....

Best site on the web. Enjoy!
    Last edited by ironpit; 04-11-2012 at 08:45 PM. Reason: :couchhide:

Post Likes
    Welcom!

Post Likes
    Welcome to the farm! You will probably learn more in the union than from school. Hard to beat hands on. Might be a good idea to do some research on the theory online if you haven't already. Good luck!
    II Chronicles 7:14 Galatians 2:20 Ephesians 2:8-9

Post Likes
    Welcome to the site, I'm sure you will enjoy it. I am fairly new here as well and I get nothing but helpful information from everything and everyone on here. Enjoy!

Post Likes

Just saying hi

I remember working on R500 residential units.

Post Likes
    Thx everyone I am a tad nervous( because I want this), as I have my interview coming up on the 17th. What kind of questions do they ask ? In the union interview?

Post Likes
    Well... I wont lie to you. The interview portion of the apprenticeship application process will most likely lead to that feeling of having butterflies in your stomach and a bit of anxiety, especially as the date draws nearer. My advice to you would be to take some time this weekend, grab a note book and start writing down a few things. I would briefly summarize your work history since getting out of high school (and any jobs you held down while attending school full time as this will show a positive work ethic). As far as particular questions that the interview panel (yes, it is a panel so you can count on different question coming from multiple people...as if it could be anymore nerve racking) will be asking, let me give you a rough idea of what they may be. Most likely, you will be asked questions like, "what about the steamfitter apprenticeship program appeals to you, and what made you decide to go into this particular trade as opposed to pursuing some other type of career path?" Honest answers such as "I have always been mechanically inclined and I take great pride in knowing that I have successfully repaired a piece of equipment or that I was responsible for installing a particular building's piping or mechanical equipment... its things like that which bring me pride and happiness in my work." Also it certainly wont hurt to mention that labor stats show a great need for younger workers to get into the trade as older workers retire. Additionally, as a result of teachers and parents instilling in their children from a very early age that the only way one can make it in the world these days is by doing well in high school, getting into a good college/university and obtaining a degree, the skilled trades are suffering from a lack of intelligent people from the younger generations to carry on the torch so to speak. Acknowledge that this fact was not lost on you and that you have realized that a career as a Steamfitter pays as well if not better than a college educated person. Questions regarding what prompted you to pursue a union apprenticeship as opposed to working for the non-union sector are common. Its always good to hit on the fact that the Union provides an unparalleled education. If you have any other questions of concerns feel free to ask, but as with any interview its important to speak loud enough for all to hear, and maintain eye contact with ALL of the members of the panel, so they know that you capable of acknowledging everyone in the room. If you have anymore questions, let me know and Ill do my best to guide you right. You may be nervous but its important that you leave that at the door and portray confidence from the moment you enter.
    Mike
    UA Steamfitters Local 601 Milwaikee, WI.

Post Likes

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by 1000535Fitter View Post
    Well... I wont lie to you. The interview portion of the apprenticeship application process will most likely lead to that feeling of having butterflies in your stomach and a bit of anxiety, especially as the date draws nearer. My advice to you would be to take some time this weekend, grab a note book and start writing down a few things. I would briefly summarize your work history since getting out of high school (and any jobs you held down while attending school full time as this will show a positive work ethic). As far as particular questions that the interview panel (yes, it is a panel so you can count on different question coming from multiple people...as if it could be anymore nerve racking) will be asking, let me give you a rough idea of what they may be. Most likely, you will be asked questions like, "what about the steamfitter apprenticeship program appeals to you, and what made you decide to go into this particular trade as opposed to pursuing some other type of career path?" Honest answers such as "I have always been mechanically inclined and I take great pride in knowing that I have successfully repaired a piece of equipment or that I was responsible for installing a particular building's piping or mechanical equipment... its things like that which bring me pride and happiness in my work." Also it certainly wont hurt to mention that labor stats show a great need for younger workers to get into the trade as older workers retire. Additionally, as a result of teachers and parents instilling in their children from a very early age that the only way one can make it in the world these days is by doing well in high school, getting into a good college/university and obtaining a degree, the skilled trades are suffering from a lack of intelligent people from the younger generations to carry on the torch so to speak. Acknowledge that this fact was not lost on you and that you have realized that a career as a Steamfitter pays as well if not better than a college educated person. Questions regarding what prompted you to pursue a union apprenticeship as opposed to working for the non-union sector are common. Its always good to hit on the fact that the Union provides an unparalleled education. If you have any other questions of concerns feel free to ask, but as with any interview its important to speak loud enough for all to hear, and maintain eye contact with ALL of the members of the panel, so they know that you capable of acknowledging everyone in the room. If you have anymore questions, let me know and Ill do my best to guide you right. You may be nervous but its important that you leave that at the door and portray confidence from the moment you enter.
    Mike
    good post.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by 1000535Fitter View Post
    Mike
    Thanks this is great I appreciate it. I will post how it goes. Thx Mike

Post Likes
    No problem man and good luck!

Post Likes
    And I if you have any other questions tomato don't hesitate to ask. Above all else, be confident in your answers and you should do fine. Keep me posted!

Post Likes
    So i had my interview yesterday (Tuesday) and it went well I think I over dressed a bit compared to everyone else. All i wore was dress pants dress shirt with a blazer. but anyways questions were fairly straight forward. I think i did pretty well. The interview was about 45 mins or so they told me I should expect to hear something in 2-3 weeks...
    im super excited for one to start two to quit my current job LOL anyways goods news for now ill post up what I hear...

Post Likes
    Hey buddy wondering if you could let me know what the aptitude test was on. I know every union is different. Should be writing it this upcoming year

Post Likes

LOCAL 787 APTITUDE TEST QUESTION

Hey what was on the aptitude test? Looking to do it this year

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by tomato.novaa View Post
    Hello,

I am new I had just applied to a union local 787. I just had the aptitude test, and have my interview next week. I am looking to start a new career in the field. I am changing gears a bit as I was trying to get in to law inforcement but that has phase has passed. Ill Let you guys know how it goes. If it doesnt go well I am regestered with an hvac school as a back up (hi-mark school)
    any advice would be great !
    I have tests there this Friday. can you tell me what was on the tests please?

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in