Would you try to get an apprenticeship thru the local Union or keep going to college and get your certificate?
    I have probably another year of school left. If I join the Union I am going to take about a $6.00 pay cut to start out. I am stuck on what to do I really want to do the apprenticeship, but thats a big pay cut from the start. Just wondering if Unions are pretty secure job wise and I am not sure when the health care kicks in yet. Thats why I wanted to ask you guys that have been there starting out. You guys may think this is a dumb question sorry I am just stuck on what would be the best choice. Thanks

your medical kicks in the day you get into the union and there is no senority to your bennys.they are for that perticular union,and are given to all within either with 4 months or 25 years of service.non-union might hold you out of their policy payments to see if you work out...you need to define that when you interview,that your non-union bennys kick in first day of work.
    "when in doubt...jump it out" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U1qEZHhJubY

Bagel,

The other thing you have to keep in mind is that you may be taking a pay cut compared to the starting wage of non union depending on your area but it is temporary. In other words you might be starting out less but where will you be compared to non union in a year or two? I know I make lots more now than the guys I went to school with and went non union. they started out higher but it only took me about 2-3 years to surpass their wage rate not to mention benefits. It depends on the area and what wages are like in comparison. Also concider the valuable knowledge you will gain by going through the local unions program. That is if you are willing to put in the time required to go through the entire program.

Not trying to sway you one way or the other. Just keep in mind that you will be judged on your learning ability and depending on where you are placed as far as being a 1-2-3-4 years apprentice ( not knowing where your abilities are from this post) there is no guarantee they will keep you. Im just saying keep in mind there are no guarantees in any type of work.

I just worry when someone talks about leaving a good job with the idea they are guaranteed anything going somewhere else..... or that they will forsure make more down the road.

Its just like workers going on strike for more money...... there is no guarantee your ever going to make back what you lost going on strike, a lot of times you dont.

This is your choice, but the money and benny's vary from region to region. If your in a northern state, to mid-west, the unions have a very commanding presence and it's likely the decision will be based on the amount of available union/non union shops.

Here in the south, our medical takes 120 days of service to kick in. Horrible, but true.

While it is true that you may lose pay in the begining of your apprenticeship, you will be way dollars ahead by the end of your 5th year as compared to non union hands. Many apps recieve "over scale money" and extra bennies before they get their journeymans card.

I am a signatory contractor, and support the local. I am not however married to them by any means. We have had our differences in the past, But by and large, they still have the most to offer a young person that is brave enough to consider this trade in the first place.