Talking Looking to move into the office

With 30+ yrs. in the trade, I'm tired of lugging compressors up ladders, and was thinking of switching to load calc, estimating and sales. I think this would entail visiting customer's homes, measuring and observing the variables, then running a load calc and writing up the bid on the 'puter.
    Anyone successful with this career change?
    I can use any office apps like Word2007, Xcel, HVAC-Calc, etc.
    Tom D. - Long-time Journeyman from CT.

On account of being a democracy and run by the people, we are the only nation in the world that has to keep a government four years, no matter what it does.

if you done the work than you should know the work. The hard part is how to bid the work and make the sale. Working in the field is hard enough. trying to make sales and compete with other companies will be the main issue. The questions i would ask is what will be your sales goals, the % you you will make on sales and PM contracts. are you new sales or new and existing sales . New sales is rough. But it can be fun and it can beat you up. Are you a people person? do you have golden knee pads, thick skin and are you aggressive. personally i liked sales, but only when i saw a project through and can help develop relationships with the customers. give it a shot you will know if its for you, but give it time. the first few months will be learning.

I'm not really an extrovert but have dealt with customers since 1975, took a Dale Carnegie course, and rarely ran into real jerks. Usually any hostility on the customers part was for a legitimate reason. I had to practice listening and patience skills, and be empathic, even if I wished to just leave. Then too, a smile can work wonders.
    Tom D. - Long-time Journeyman from CT.

On account of being a democracy and run by the people, we are the only nation in the world that has to keep a government four years, no matter what it does.