Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bristol TC recall?

Hi everyone,

I am a homeowner, delete this if you must, but this is NOT a request for DIY info.

Anyone with info on a Bristol TS compressor recall, apparently to Carrier/Bryant?

I am asking because this is the compressor Hallowell used in the Acadia. These compressors are failing at an alarming rate. Ours is still running. Hallowell is out of business, so we have no way of getting this info.

Anyone with info on this?

Thanks. Gene

Quote Originally Posted by Gene2 View Post
    Hi everyone,

I am a homeowner, delete this if you must, but this is NOT a request for DIY info.

Anyone with info on a Bristol TS compressor recall, apparently to Carrier/Bryant?

I am asking because this is the compressor Hallowell used in the Acadia. These compressors are failing at an alarming rate. Ours is still running. Hallowell is out of business, so we have no way of getting this info.

Anyone with info on this?

Thanks. Gene
    Not sure what happened to all the info I sent here yesterday but I won't attempt to write it again today. Suffice it to say there is not a "recall" on the Bristol comp. but there are a couple options through the Carrier dist. that can assist in either changing out the comp. or replacing the entire unit. Contact the Carrier distributor.

Hi Woody,

Thanks for the reply.

To your knowledge, is Bristol paying for this?

We have a Hallowell Acadia, and Hallowell has been out of business for a year. I doubt that a Carrier dealer would be interested in this.

If Bristol is paying for this, maybe there is hope for us!

Thanks. Gene

I believe that most Carrier units have a 10yr part warranty on the compressor and if you got the extended warranty 10yr labor as well as part!

Gene, sorry but you got screwed.

Hallowell was making unapproved modifications to Bristol's compressors. Bristol voided their warranty to Hallowell when they found out about it. and now Hallowell is no more.

I think that there was a class action suit that got started, but the owners of Hallowell are bankrupt to my knowledge. My shop is only 20 miles from their old facility and was invited to their "unveiling". After about 5 minutes of sales pitch an older competitor of mine leans to me and said, "I think they are reinventing the laws of physics." I laughed and decided to be cautious. I am glad that I did.

Good Luck to you.

Hallowell was up here last year at the Green Living show with a booth beside mine. I don't think he sold a single unit. He must have known they were in trouble yet still he tried.

Hi everyone,

Thanks for the responses.

Yes, basically we are screwed, but this is trying to make the best of a bad situation.....

There were apparently about 3000 Acadias sold, uncertain how many are still in operation. There is an active website

with several bright and talented guys who have suggested several modifications to try prevent failures. Even with these modifications, there are still compressor failures.

The relevant question seems to be whether the Bristol TS compressor is basically flawed, or whether the Acadia design caused the compressor failures. If Bristol is essentially acknowledging a flaw in the TS compressors, the fault may not be Hallowells, and Bristol may be at least ethically obligated to offer some help to Acadia owners.

meplumber, I'm not sure that you are entirely correct, I believe Bristol was aware of, and approved, Hallowells modifications. Since Hallowell has gone under, they will no longer supply TS compressors, and are blaming Hallowells design for the problems. But I think that this is only after the fact.

Any other thoughts?

Thanks. Gene
    Last edited by beenthere; 04-12-2012 at 08:29 PM. Reason: removed link

I got my info from a former Hallowell employee. He was an HVAC tech prior to and after joining Hallowell. I worked with him before he went to Hallowell and I trust him.

Having inspected these systems, there is no way that Bristol would have allowed these modifications. I have not heard of any recall on Bristols from Carrier/Bryant. I could be wrong, but.......

meplumber-

So your source says that from day 1 Bristol did not approve of the modifications?

Any idea why Bristol continued to sell the compressors to Hallowell?

Thanks again. Gene

I don't know. We heard that one of the reasons for their rapid decline was that no one would sell them a compressor.

meplumber,

This info is most interesting. Any other info you have on Hallowells problems or demise?

Thanks again. Gene

Nothing concrete. Just talk. I only know what I know because I live in the area where they were built. The city of Bangor, gave them some huge tax breaks and stuff and then they got shafted too.

I still see some of their former employees at the supply houses. Maybe those original guys were on to something, but a few guys looking to get rich wrecked the whole thing.

I thought it was crap when I first saw it. The sales pitch promised everything. I learned long ago that if it promises everything, it usually delivers nothing.

At 7 BTU/lb enthalpy, the reverse refrigeration cycle can no longer extract enough heat from the outside air to change the state of the refrigerant. From what I have been told by more than one manufacturer, that number is non negotiable. You can't beat Physics and they were trying to.

Good Luck to you Gene. My advice would be to cut your loses and find a quality unit from a reputable manufacturer.

Hi meplumber,

Thanks again for all of your replies.

At the moment, I have a working Acadia, and it does work very well even at low temps. It has saved quite a bit on our electric bills.

Another website (apparently this site does not allow links) lists several modifications to the starting circuit, to help to prevent failures. If the analysis and thoughtfulness of these modifications had been put into the original design, possibly failure rates would be much lower.

When our compressor does eventually fail, we will be looking for a replacement unit. A York 2 stage outdoor unit apparently works well with the current indoor unit.

Any experience with the Carrier Greenspeed or similar inverter controlled units? They look promising, but I would rather not get into another Hallowell-like situation.

Thanks again for all of your thoughts. Gene

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast