+ Reply to Thread

Thread: NO HVAC experience, but trying to get a job....

Post Likes
    hey guys im 21 in NC and im taking hvac this fall at the local tech school. im trying to get a job this summer, to get my foot in the door, help me through school money wise and knowlege wise.

i applied at reedy's (local place) and let them know it wasnt just a summer job, i was gonna work school out and around the work schedule IE night classes etc...

anyway i have an interview tom for installation helper/assistant type deal

anything i should know about HVAC maybe to impress him, general knowlege, (NOT how to install or fix them) just common sence HVAC?

ive studied up on the company and know they do all sorts of things from wine cellars to commercial, residential, humidity control, boiler rooms, the list goes on!

just seeing if there are any questions he might ask?

Post Likes
    If ya wanna impress him, be honest and show him you are willing to work hard.
    It is unlikely you will fool him and trying to will only make you look bad.
    If you have any background in mechanical things at all that will help.
    Hey cockroach, don't bug me! ©

Post Likes
    Be early for your interview and wear pants that fit, not those rapper style pants and wear shoes, real shoes!

Post Likes
    Be honest. If they hire you, they hire you. If not, apply elsewhere.
    If everything was always done "by the book"....the book would never change.

Post Likes
    I agree , tell them your willing to work hard, be honest, present a neat sharp appearance, be teachable and display a good attitude.

We had an Advisory Board member present at one of our meetings and he told us they could work with anybody that had a good attitude, said that there was nothing you could do with womeone if they had a bad attitude.

Post Likes
    Hey its the guy from the Corral! Welcome

What they will be looking for is someone with some mechanical aptitude and not afraid to get dirty, like crawling under houses etc...,just be yourself and dress nice like HeyBob said and you should be fine.

Post Likes
    Originally posted by HeyBob
    Be early for your interview
    but not too early. if your are more than 5 minutes early they might not be ready for you and that can be kind of awkward for both you and the company. plan on getting there 20 minutes ahead of time, in case of bad traffic etc. then wait somewhere else untill 5 minutes or so ahead of the apointment

Post Likes

No cigarette breath

and cover your tattoos. Take out the ear rings and any other piercings and jewelery. And By-De-Cracky
    you'd better not have a hint of a hangover in your eyes!
    My doctor gave me six months to live, but when I couldn't pay the bill he gave me six months more.
    Walter Matthau

Post Likes
    Some places hire without experience...wearhouse work and such...great place to learn....be honest....place get lots of know it all then cant do anything types...show up early...dressed nice...and like someone said..if they dont offer you a job..apply at other places.
    73% of Americans say that illegal immigration is a problem. The other 27% say, "No habla inglis!"

Post Likes

Talking

look,listen,and learn,and do not be afraid to ask questions,know matter how dumb you might think they are.
    if at first you dont succeed,then skydiving is not for you

Post Likes
    They're not expecting you to know alot.
    So don't try to pretend you do, be open and honest.

Post Likes
    Get a HVAC text book out of your local library. There are four basic parts to ANY refrigeration system or air conditioning system. These componets are in the same order in a refrigeration cycle.

My advice is to read the book and be able to identify the parts of a basic refrigeration cycle. Then when you get to work look for these parts. If after you can't find them then ask your foreman to point them out to you.

This will be the first thing they teach you in trade school. So get a jump start on it. And good luck.

Post Likes
    Everything they already said.

Don't hang all your hopes on one interview, too many variables about who gets hired. Nothing beats practice on interviews, so I never waste one, even if I don't think I can get the job, I make sure I get some good practice out of the interview. If you don't get the job, get some advice, how you can improve and if they can recommend any other place for you to look.

Plan ahead a bit more next time, this is a BUSY time, starting by asking some questions here maybe 6 weeks ago and a week or two before you go in could give you a MUCH better chance.

My parents business used to get people all the time looking for work, that in fact had ZERO skills in the trade, so don't expect to fool anybody. Most of the time we just could not take the time to train them enough to hire, but for many of them we would give them a couple little doses of training and some time to practice a few things, and if they had aptitude for the work even that little training and practice could get them a job in other shops that were big enough to need people with just basic skills.

I don't know what that first 4 hours or so of learning is for a HVAC guy, but if you have aptitude for the work you are going to be 200% better at it than you were before.

I have no guess on the technical stuff, but learning the basic safety rules of the trade can't hurt.

Good Luck.

Post Likes
    Originally posted by rolledthatho

i applied at reedy's (local place)
    I worked for that Co. 24 yrs. ago ( good folks ).
    The Graduate student helping me will be leaving this week. Phone # in my Creds.
    Be safe not fast. body parts don't grow back

Post Likes
    I believe the Co was started by Ray and Dean Reedy and then Ray left to work on his own. Dandyme works for Reedys. Good company but way too many trucks that sit idle. The other day i counted 13.

Post Likes
    Having things like __CK YOU tattoed on your forehead

nose rings , eye percings really can work against you

Post Likes

Talking

also,dont get discouraged,if you start doing all the gopher work,when i started out,it was okay len you get the ladders,go get the vac, pump,etc.etc.thats just part of the learning curve.
    if at first you dont succeed,then skydiving is not for you

Post Likes
    Originally posted by swampfox
    Hey its the guy from the Corral! Welcome

What they will be looking for is someone with some mechanical aptitude and not afraid to get dirty, like crawling under houses etc...,just be yourself and dress nice like HeyBob said and you should be fine.
    hey man, small world! whats your username on corral

Post Likes
    Same as here, Im the one that replied to your thread about hvac over there and posted the link to here....

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in