Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by marter View Post
    once your in, your in for life..
    Just when you think you can get out...
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Every customer you take for granted today will be someone else's tomorrow.

Hotel California. you can check out, but you can never leave.
    I STARTED WITH NOTHING, AND I STILL HAVE MOST OF IT!

I love the trade been doing this for 7 years full time and I am always learning.I especially enjoy the satisfaction of fixing a system (correctley of course)and making someones day.Unfortunately in everything there is good and bad.

I have been in for 17yrs now.

In the first 10yrs I thought long and hard about bailing out and going into the fire service.

Now the money is too good and I am getting too old to be jumping careers. At this point I have completely conceded to the fact that this is what I will retire doing. I found a very solid contractor, about to get married, bought a nice home and land in the country, and play firefighter in a volunteer fire company to satisfy that itch.

Overall I cannot complain, this trade has put steak on the table, a couple new cars in the driveway, and afforded me all the things I need and a lot of what I want.
    UA LU189

10mm, because it's better than .45acp

Quote Originally Posted by marter View Post
    once your in, your in for life..
    Amen to that!
    Too far vested to go a different route
    Member of the "Work Exchange Program"
    "Will work for knowledge"

"Everyone is a genius. But if you judge a fish on its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid"
    A Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by jmiles View Post
    Who out there is tired of the B.S. In this business . Or maybe tired of horrible conditions and hours..
    Those of us in the HVAC industry can't complain about horrible conditions and hours.

After 10 years in the trade I left. in 2005 I became an airline pilot. To become an airline pilot you either:

A. Join the military, get a college degree, become an officer, and learn to fly

B. Go to flight school, work for years as a flight instructor until you have enough flight time

I chose option B.

I worked as a flight instructor for 3 years making $12,000 a year. That's right. $12,000 a year.

After I had enough flight time I applied at 6 or 7 airlines. I got hired and started flying a 50 seat twin engine turboprop airliner, making.... get this... are you ready.....

$22,000 a year. And for that whopping pay, I had the pleasure of working up to 6 days in a row, 14 hour days, all the while missing every holiday, birthday, anniversary, and soccer game. Living off crappy airport food, sleeping in crappy hotels, and catching every cold virus under the Sun.

After one year of being an airline pilot, I left the airline and went back to Trane making 4 times the money and being home every night, every holiday, every weekend, every birthday and soccer game.

Be happy for an excellent great paying career. If you're not making good money in this trade then you're doing something wrong. I have an excellent quality of life, a pension, great health insurance, a company vehicle, and I get to fix stuff and feel good about it.

Make the most of opportunities... or make your own opportunities.

Quote Originally Posted by TheChillerMan View Post
    Those of us in the HVAC industry can't complain about horrible conditions and hours.

After 10 years in the trade I left. in 2005 I became an airline pilot. To become an airline pilot you either:

A. Join the military, get a college degree, become an officer, and learn to fly

B. Go to flight school, work for years as a flight instructor until you have enough flight time

I chose option B.

I worked as a flight instructor for 3 years making $12,000 a year. That's right. $12,000 a year.

After I had enough flight time I applied at 6 or 7 airlines. I got hired and started flying a 50 seat twin engine turboprop airliner, making.... get this... are you ready.....

$22,000 a year. And for that whopping pay, I had the pleasure of working up to 6 days in a row, 14 hour days, all the while missing every holiday, birthday, anniversary, and soccer game. Living off crappy airport food, sleeping in crappy hotels, and catching every cold virus under the Sun.

After one year of being an airline pilot, I left the airline and went back to Trane making 4 times the money and being home every night, every holiday, every weekend, every birthday and soccer game.

Be happy for an excellent great paying career. If you're not making good money in this trade then you're doing something wrong. I have an excellent quality of life, a pension, great health insurance, a company vehicle, and I get to fix stuff and feel good about it.

Make the most of opportunities... or make your own opportunities.
    did you bang any fly attendants?

I know 2 people that have left the trade to do your plan B. When they tell me about the money, I think its a crime. These are the people I trust with my life when flying. The money doesnt match up wth the responsibility. Why do you do it. The others say they love to fly.
    ENJOY THE RIDE

Quote Originally Posted by kamersoutdoor View Post
    Too far vested to go a different route
    same here
    You can't kiss death without it kissing you back. Death is a passionate kisser.

I've tried to get out.....but once people know you do it, and that you're good at it....they'll wear you out.

At that point, why do it for a six pack and a plate of cookies, when you can do it for real and make some nice munny.

Sometimes it really sucks, but overall, any job sucks eventually.
    Technical incompetence is NOT a sales tool....

I want out!! but no out just the HVAC trade, I want out of the workforce, cant wait for retirement, I'm sick and tired of getting up in the morning, coming home late at night, working on the honeydo list on the weekends, I'm ready for retirement. maybe finding a part time bartender job somewhere near a white sand beach and enjoy whatever I have left to live in this earth enjoin myself.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MUTf5qvS0Lo

the only thing i don't like about hvac is that every time you got some part of the field figured out, all the sudden you have to learn something different, like doing comfort cooling, then have to learn walk-in and then after that before you know it you have learn chiller, i just tired of having to know all this s..., i want to just go to work and do a job i know so i dont have competely rethink everything, i just want to be on auto pilot, i would rather send my brain power on my hobbies or my family.

Quote Originally Posted by hvac/tech View Post
    i want to just go to work and do a job i know so i dont have competely rethink everything, i just want to be on auto pilot, i would rather send my brain power on my hobbies or my family.
    Then get out now...because you're in the wrong trade.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast