Relocating to Oregon - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Commercial referigeration and hvac service is all ive ever done from ice machines to the large freon based cold storage plants

Quote Originally Posted by lovecoldair View Post
    Commercial referigeration and hvac service is all ive ever done from ice machines to the large freon based cold storage plants
    If and when you relocate to Oregon, be sure to have your work hours verified by your current and past employers. You have to have several licenses to work in Oregon and Washington. Some of the licenses are electrical, brazing certificate, boiler and pressure vessel. It is a lot easier now before you move then after. Check with the state of Oregon (pronounced Orygun) building codes division for what you need to apply for the licenses. For the state of Washington, check with the Bureau of Labor and Industries, electrical division.

If you decide to go union, the last time I checked into it, it costs 100 times the journeyman rate which is about 3600.00. You also have to pay dues 1, dues 2, local dues, economic recovery which is about 5.00/hr. The local here is 290 I think has an office in Tualatin.

Some of the guys who went the union route, applied at the union shops first and the companies helped with the paperwork if they were hired.

Are my hours transferrable from state to state or i was under the impression it had to be done in the state where you are applying

Quote Originally Posted by lovecoldair View Post
    Are my hours transferrable from state to state or i was under the impression it had to be done in the state where you are applying
    Both Washington and Oregon will accept hours outside the state so long as the state you are working in does not require the individual to have a license or does not have reciprocal agreements with the state you are working in. Since most of my hours came from working in California when I applied, I was grandfathered in. I paid my fees and took and passed the tests. Got my licenses. Its been a while since I had to do it, but there has been guys that relocated from California recently and had no problems with get their licenses.

Ok perfect that helps alot, and im assuming that for union positions...i will have to call Oregon on monday and see what exactly i need ...Thanks again man i owe ya one

$3600 to join as a Jm? Is that Local going broke?

No, but if you want in, did not go through their apprentice program, you take the test and buy your journeyman card.

we all did it.
    One way to outthink people is to make them think you think. They'll think you're not really thinking what you're trying to get them to think you think...........

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12