Page 1 of 12 1234567811 ... LastLast

Average service tech. hourly rate?

can anyone help me what is the average starting hourly pay for a service technician straight out of hvac program with no work experience?

Quote Originally Posted by eric555 View Post
    can anyone help me what is the average starting hourly pay for a service technician straight out of hvac program with no work experience?

Well...here in N.J. depending on a lot of variables....what program? valid DL? what other job expierences do you have? were you the top of your class? was it a apprenticeship program?

going out on a limb...and...I'm guessing...but usually somewhere around $2.00-$4.00 over minimum wage. the rest is up to you...

Good luck!!!

fresh out of trade school, commercial $12 to $16, residential $10 to $14. if I was in your position, I wouldn't take less than $12.

depending on the company i have seen offerings between $9 to $13 for residential, commercial about the same but up to $16.

the company at $9 didnt care if you were freash out of school or 10 years expirience. but they are quick to yell at you on an interveiw about how they cant keep a good tech for more then 5 months but its not there falt, it is the competition paying more trying to cut at his profets.

the company i saw at $16 (refrigeration) hired someone, and good thing i passed on it. the person was laid off after 4 months. buisness took a dive big time and it was time to let the new guy go.

when i was in school i told fellow students in reality expect $11.50 to $13.00 cause the school telling you freash out you will be a tech at $30. aint gonna happen unless you are that lucky to get that ONE job out that comes along and everbody is applying for.

Thank yall so much for the replies. Im from north carolina and i went for my first interview yesterday and the manager told me that all he could offer was 8 dollar an hour. wich i thought was kind of low but i know i have to start somewhere, but this is why i chose the hvac field because i am ready to get away from the 8 dollars an hour price and make a good career. i dont have any work experience just my school experience where i recieved my diploma, my universal CFC certification, and also got certified in Scotsman ice machines. This was the first interview and i got offered the job and i took it because i was just anxious to start working i start next monday i just hope i dont grow to hate working so many hours for such little pay and maybe i should have sent my resume to different company's. Some more questions i have is, is 8 dollars a hour what i should expect with the experience i have? and how long does it usually take for service tech's to move up in pay? Also does it sound like i am getting a little under paid?

I wouldnt expect too much until you can hop in a service vehicle and go out and make your boss some money.

Quote Originally Posted by eric555 View Post
    Thank yall so much for the replies. Im from north carolina and i went for my first interview yesterday and the manager told me that all he could offer was 8 dollar an hour. wich i thought was kind of low but i know i have to start somewhere, but this is why i chose the hvac field because i am ready to get away from the 8 dollars an hour price and make a good career. i dont have any work experience just my school experience where i recieved my diploma, my universal CFC certification, and also got certified in Scotsman ice machines. This was the first interview and i got offered the job and i took it because i was just anxious to start working i start next monday i just hope i dont grow to hate working so many hours for such little pay and maybe i should have sent my resume to different company's. Some more questions i have is, is 8 dollars a hour what i should expect with the experience i have? and how long does it usually take for service tech's to move up in pay? Also does it sound like i am getting a little under paid?
    McDonalds is about to hire 50,000 people with an starting pay of $8.30/h! you ought to start somewhere is true but $8/hour seems to be way too low for a guy like you, get some hands on experience and bail out.

Take anything and get some experience.
    Don't ask at 90 days for anything either, wait till 6 months and say "how I'm doing ?" and see what happens.
    Get at least 3 years and move to anywhere in the country and find a job in about 2 weeks.
    luck dan

i start all of my new hires off at 8 an hour, and evaluate at 30 days, i know within 30 days if its someone i want to invest in or if its time to take a loss and move on, the guys that are willing to attend training and work afters hours i keep on, the ones who only dream of changing filters and riding in the truck all day, i cut loose, the starting salary seperates the men from the boys in this industry!!
    The 2008 NATE TOP TECH!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by hvacpope View Post
    McDonalds is about to hire 50,000 people with an starting pay of $8.30/h! you ought to start somewhere is true but $8/hour seems to be way too low for a guy like you, get some hands on experience and bail out.
    Yes, thats crazy low. I got $12 right of school back in '02. I guess these companys must be using the "bad economy excuse" for offering such ridiculously low pay. How do they even expect to land a "smart" tech. When you would have to be kind of stupid to even work for them to begin with!

everyone ive ever hired straight out of school with the attitude of " im worth XX dollars and hour cause i went to school and got good grades" has bit me in thie a** a diplomia dont mean jack s**t, youve got to be willing to learn how my business works, and what your place in it is, trades schools give potential techs a false hope of mega bucks, if you make good grades her you will be a millonare over night in this bizz, you gotta have a desire and a drive to help people, then and only then will you get what your are worth, if money is your driving force, get the h**l out of this biz now!!!!!!
    The 2008 NATE TOP TECH!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by hvacman14 View Post
    everyone ive ever hired straight out of school with the attitude of " im worth XX dollars and hour cause i went to school and got good grades" has bit me in thie a** a diplomia dont mean jack s**t, youve got to be willing to learn how my business works, and what your place in it is, trades schools give potential techs a false hope of mega bucks, if you make good grades her you will be a millonare over night in this bizz, you gotta have a desire and a drive to help people, then and only then will you get what your are worth, if money is your driving force, get the h**l out of this biz now!!!!!!
    I don't know. The school i went to has been spot on. I use the theory behind refrigeration and electrical that was taught everyday. I also make the money that they said would be made. It just took a while longer than they claimed.

Since you took it, I would work it and use it to get familiar. What you don't want to do is hop around but in this case I would as long as the next offer is 2 to 3 dollars an hour more. The next company will not fault you for bettering yourself. Good luck.
    It's refreshing to pull your head out of the box when servicing a system.

Page 1 of 12 1234567811 ... LastLast