Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Relocating to Oregon

Just putting some feelers out to see if anyone can recommend a good shop that does refrigeration and hvac...Non union at this pioint but looking for something stable in the Salem area..Ive been in the business for 20 or so years...Thanks for any help

Try Source Refrigeration. They have a shop in Salem. You have to apply on line though. On line I believe they post what is available where ever they have a shop.

Do you or have you ever worked for Source? They're far from competative on wages. If you're anti-Union, which means you like making less money, have to pay for insurance premiums, have to pay for your own retirement, have pay for instruments, have to be on-call for free, have to pay for uniforms, etc. I just don't see why the majority prefers non-Union.
    Source offers the equivalent of 65-70% of Journeyman tops. As a Chiller Mechanic at Source, I was offered the equivalent of 80% of Journeyman, that's right, a whopping equivalent of Serviceman. This is for a Chiller Mechanic, mind you. Throw in an on-the-check deduction of $200/Wk ($200 a week!) for top tier Medical, Vision, Dental, and Short-Term Disability. Take that job and shove it.

Quote Originally Posted by MechanicallyInclined View Post
    Do you or have you ever worked for Source? They're far from competative on wages. If you're anti-Union, which means you like making less money, have to pay for insurance premiums, have to pay for your own retirement, have pay for instruments, have to be on-call for free, have to pay for uniforms, etc. I just don't see why the majority prefers non-Union.
    Source offers the equivalent of 65-70% of Journeyman tops. As a Chiller Mechanic at Source, I was offered the equivalent of 80% of Journeyman, that's right, a whopping equivalent of Serviceman. This is for a Chiller Mechanic, mind you. Throw in an on-the-check deduction of $200/Wk ($200 a week!) for top tier Medical, Vision, Dental, and Short-Term Disability. Take that job and shove it.
    Ok, so you are sour on Source, can you recomend a company that is out of Salem, OR because the originator of this post is looking to relocate there. I was looking at your post and I didn't see any places to try or that you would recomend.

Try Carrier Building Systems and Services, Honeywell Building Solutions, Johnson Controls Systems and Services, McQuay Factory Service, Siemens Building Technologies, or Trane Building Services. For more commercial refrigeration, try Hussmann Service or Hill-Phoenix Service. Look into the Local Union, see how many HVACR companies are signatory. Ask how soon the can put an HVACR Service Jm to work. If you have to go to work for Source or the likes, always look at your bottom line. Most guys don't seem to understand the simple math needed to factor the total package.

Thanks for the replys and the effort. I havent ever been union and the only reason i never tried was the pay cut i would take trying to get in...Im looking for stability and a comfortable place to work where people mean something other than a number .....Thanks again guys

Pay cut to go Union! When, where & how is this?

Thats what i was told when i spoke to the rep for the union in my area, They said i would have to start at a lower journeymans wage since i didnt go through their apprentiship program....So with a wife and 3 kids its never been doable to take any type of cut

Quote Originally Posted by lovecoldair View Post
    Thats what i was told when i spoke to the rep for the union in my area, They said i would have to start at a lower journeymans wage since i didnt go through their apprentiship program....So with a wife and 3 kids its never been doable to take any type of cut
    Most agents don't know what they're talking about when it comes down to R&M. Most agents are from the Building Trades (Construction, Installation, etc.). Don't worry I was told I had to come off the bench - in a right-to-work state!
    Experience usually trumps the 5 year Apprenticeship. Look into what they call a white ticket, it grandfathers you in as a Journeyman. I don't know about your Local but in mine a Chiller Mechanic is a "Journeyman", commercial refrigeration and light commercial AC up to 100 tons is a "Serviceman". In a neighboring Local our Journeyman would be called an "Applied Systems Journeyman" and our Serviceman would be called a "Journeyman". Find yourself a company that'll sponsor you as a Commercial Refrigeration ST in whatever classification you need to be in.
    Just so you know a CR ST shouldn't be less than 80% of a Chiller Mechanic equivalent, Union or non-Union, on-the-check.

Ok that helps ....So dont go through the local go to the companies first ? I have 22 years in the field but all non union...Mainly freon based resip systems no Ammonia . But all my time has been non unon and made atleast scale or above ......Thanks again for all the help ill look into union companies

Quote Originally Posted by lovecoldair View Post
    Ok that helps ....So dont go through the local go to the companies first ? I have 22 years in the field but all non union...Mainly freon based resip systems no Ammonia . But all my time has been non unon and made atleast scale or above ......Thanks again for all the help ill look into union companies
    If a Union company is hiring in an at-will state, they should tell you first before encouraging you to join the Local. National signatories have the absolute last word in hiring anyways. In the Building Trades side, you don't even need a driver's license and the criminal record can be spotty. Not so in R&M (sometimes called MES).

i have clean driving record and no criminal at all ....Jusat about as clean as they come lol....Not sure what you mean as to R&M and MES ....so im kinda confused where to start now dompany or local...Thanks again man

UA Union HVACR is divided into two sections, Building Trades (which is installation, construction, etc. It works off of Local contracts) with the Jm being referred to as a "Building Trades RefrigerationFitter Journeyman", and Repair and Maintenance (usually referred to as just Service, which can work off of Local or National Agreements) with the Jm sometimes being referred to as a "Mechanical Equipment Service Journeyman". Union Local terminology can get real hairy. Inquire with the companies directly, ask if they are looking to hire a Journeyman. What exactly do you do you do? Some Locals classify all their commercial refrigeration work as Serviceman duty, to add even more confusion, some Locals call that a "B-Card".

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast