york pressure relief valvessss

hey guys I have two york ykekemp8-ctfs. both units developed leaks on both of the pressure relief valves that caused a full loss of charge. 1700 lbs. it is possible that the instalation was the cause of the problem but i doubt it. the problem I am having now is that I cant get the reliefs to seal back up. i've tried several times with the old valves and with new ones. it seems like i just cant get the lock ring tight enough. so any suggestions and does anyone know why the service valve with two reliefs instead of just one pressure relief valve like most other chillers.

Two relief valves in one

nique- Not quite sure what your asking, but i think your talking about a relief valve manifold. There are two relief valves installed on a manifold that allow one valve to be serviced or changed out while the other relief valve protects the vessel. If you only had one relief valve on the vessel you would have to either valve off the vessel with the defective relief valve and pump all the refrigerant to another part of the system or if there are no isolating valves you would need to recover the entire charge to replace the single relief valve.-GEO
    Once in a while everything falls into place and I am able to move forward, most of the time it just falls all over the place and I can't go anywhere-GEO

ya thats what it is. seems like a waste to me since i've never had one relief that didnt loose all the charge anyway. it's at the lockring that all of them leak. it's possible that I got the wrong o-ring but johnson controls is'nt sure so their sending me new ones.

What are you putting on the o rings when you install them??

parker o-ring lubricant

I too have fought with those on occassion, the last ones I did would not seal with high vacuum grease so I cleaned everything up and used Locktite Primer 'N' and then Locktite 515, let it set up overnight with no pressure and it's still holding 2 years later. I prefer the vacuum grease but it doesn't always work. Good luck.

We have had several YKs that have developed large leaks that lost the charge. Two Yks at two different sites lost their oil charges and large amount of refrigerant when the "O" ring around oil heater in sump gave up. Another Yk under 3 yrs old lost entire charge when charging valve under cooler had an "O"Ring failure. And yes we had another that the condenser releif valve "O" rings under each valve give up. We replaced with factory supplied parts, but we will explore using different material on next repeat failure.
    Someone still with JCI may have a current SB that address "O" ring failures.
    A LITTLE BIT OF STUPID GOES A LONG WAY!

got the right o-rings in today and installed and still had 2 of the 4 leak, so i 515 them. i really don't like doing that but sometimes that is the only way. should be good by the morning.